Hybrid bag, down cheats?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I know some of you really get super technical with bags and pads etc. I'm slowly moving away from my Neanderthal Grunt ways and appreciate cutting weight, but even more the size of my sleeping bag. I prefer lower volume over weight in this instance. It's turned me into a bag whore, as I have 8 varying bags and still want to know if there is a better way.

If the premise is down doesn't insulate when we lay on it and compress it, why aren't there more hybrid bags out there? Is this due to the compressed size being bigger and not worth the hassle? Or is it that insulated pads are coming along with R values and its not necessary?

I also have several hammock quilts both top and under, and forgive me if I'm late to the party, wouldn't it be better to go with an insulated pad (I have the Xtherm) and a small synthetic blanket for top of pad, and use my down top quilt?

I'm asking because I'm sure some of you have been down this rabbit hole and could save me some failure, more money and tinkering. Is there a "cheat" that is ahead of the standard pad/down bag set up? And I'm referring to UL/backpacking.

TIA-

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Until it is freezing and you roll over in the middle of the night, that is when people don't enjoy quilts.

Down only sucks when it is raining or you have a chance of getting wet and needing the synth wrapping. The small amount of material and fill under you, weight wise, is negligible, but some just prefer the openness of quilts.

Facing on an Exped DownMat does not need a cover (it is really nice, but they actually make a light fitted cover if you do want one) so weight that against the Xtherm+synth blanket and bulk for when it is really cold.

For warm/cool weather, NeoAir/Xtherm, baselayer, and quilt is fine. I use a neoair and bag, myself until it gets cold, then swap to DownMat. DownMat is luxurious. Heavy-ish but I slept on one (DM9) for months remodelling my house. It is super-comfy.

Lots of discussions on Backpacking Light.com too.

There is light, ultralight, and stupidlight. Don't drink too much Kool-aid chasing numbers and end up in the last category. Most will save more weight off their gut, but you cannot just throw money at that one. :)

-mox, reformed weight weenie

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Appreciate the detailed response. Of course now I need a Downmat to try 🤦🏻‍♂️

I have enough buddies that fall into stupidlight, and that’s not for me!

When you do figure out how to throw cash at the beer belly, I’m your first investor 😂

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can have those downmats. Too many baffle failures, too heavy for not a real big difference in warmth compared to the Xtherm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
You're not going to find a large difference, if any at all between a synthetic blanket on top of your pad and underneath your body and a down blanket doing the same. Your body's weight crushes lightweight synthetic insulation almost just as flat, leaving no room for trapped air to add any additional insulation to what your pad is doing.

OP
Team4LongGun

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
You're not going to find a large difference, if any at all between a synthetic blanket on top of your pad and underneath your body and a down blanket doing the same. Your body's weight crushes lightweight synthetic insulation almost just as flat, leaving no room for trapped air to add any additional insulation to what your pad is doing.

This was my thinking, but had to ask as I wasn't sure. Guess there is no cheat after all

Appreciate the detailed response. Of course now I need a Downmat to try 🤦🏻‍♂️

I have enough buddies that fall into stupidlight, and that’s not for me!

When you do figure out how to throw cash at the beer belly, I’m your first investor 😂
I ran the numbers once on a $/lb metric and liposuction came out surprisingly affordable compared to losing some Oz elsewhere 😭

mlgc20

WKR
About 7 years ago, I switched to a Ketabatic Elite quilt. Which is kind of a hybrid. It’s a quilt with a sewn foot box. When I found that, it really did feel like a cheat. Not because of the weight savings, which there was. But, in reduced pack volume and most importantly, sleep comfort. I’m a fitful sleeper. So, the added comfort of a quilt was amazing to me. I kicked myself for not switching from a sleeping bag sooner.

My Katabatic is my primary bag. With my Xtherm, I can take it down into the low teens. Below that, I have a zero degree Enlightened Equipment quilt. I have a stripped down UGC quilt which falls into the stupid light category. It’s made of 7D nylon with 950 down. Its not as warm as my Katabatic, but when I’m going true ultralight, that’s what I take along with a Thermarest Uberlight pad.

Personally, I’d never go back to a regular sleeping bag.

I decided to get one bag to handle most of my trips except for the hot summer stuff and then just use my old army woobie. I almost went with a quilt because 75% of the time that is how I use my bags but I have been caught with not enough bag a couple times trying to go a little lighter and it suuucked. I think with the right setup a quilt could be plenty warm, but I like the option to zip up myself. I decided to get the lightest, warmest bag I figured I’d realistically need and could afford for the temps I’d ever be in and then I use it like a quilt or zip it up when necessary. I’m usually over bagged now which is fine since it’s light and compact enough for me. I ended up getting the wm badger overstuffed and am very happy with it. If I’m planning on getting really cold I’ll probably just bring a foam thermarest to put under the Nemo longbow I’ve been using which has been plenty warm so far by itself.