Hybrid bag opinions? Nunatak

Camber__

FNG
I don't have any experience, but Jan definitely seems to know what he's doing. And I've seen a lot of people talk about using a Woobie or synthetic over a down bag to draw the moisture up.

I do have a vest by him, and it's impeccably made. I would like to have him do a 15 down quilt with a separate synthetic to go over it for really cold weather. He can pair them up so they are made ot fit.

OP
C

coues32

WKR
Thanks will definitely keep investigating
Quality looks great.
I'll go search on the woobie and see if more info on the combo

Camber__

FNG
MIght look over at Hill People Gear...that's where I first saw it. Lots of talk about the Serape being used over a down bag if I remember right.

Using a synthetic layer over a down one definitely works. I've been putting a 40* apex throw over my 20* down quilt but I'm really itching for one of those hybrid Nunatak quilts.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

OP
C

coues32

WKR
Yes stuff looks good, just haven't seen much on this quilt.

I’m sure Jan has some good thoughts on why this is a good combo but it seems overly fiddly to me compared to a straight synthetic or down option. Having 2 shells adds unnecessary weight.

If you’re below 15 degrees, are you worried about moisture enough to need synthetic?

OP
C

coues32

WKR
I’m sure Jan has some good thoughts on why this is a good combo but it seems overly fiddly to me compared to a straight synthetic or down option. Having 2 shells adds unnecessary weight.

If you’re below 15 degrees, are you worried about moisture enough to need synthetic?
I thought the weight was comparable to his down quilts. Am looking to add a quilt in the 20 -25 degree range , we get storms unexpectedly sometimes and condensation from tepee. thought the part synthetic would be good at times.

Camber__

FNG
I would call and talk to him. He has a ton of weatherproof shell selections too that might make pure down workable for you in those conditions.

I just had him add some down to an EE quilt, and the experience as first rate.