Hybrid Broadhead for Elk

ndmarine

Lil-Rokslider
Gents, been fairly underwhelmed with the blood trails on my elk thus far with 4 blade heads (2 full and 2 bleeder blades). My 30 yard pass through on a cow last year was placed perfectly. How there were only 2 drops of blood on a 100 yard death run baffles me and makes me want to stop spending kinetic energy on the tree behind the elk.

The rage hybrid looks interesting but I dont like how big the 2 expandable blades are - 2.3'' exapandable blades would go poorly against an elk.

Anybody know of rear deploying hybrid broadhead with a conservative cutting diameter? Also a huge fan of rear deploying expandables but would love the insurance of 2 fixed blades and maybe a 1.25". Due to past bad experiences with non-rear-deploying expandables on whitetails I wont touch them - has to be rear deploying. Anybody know of something??

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
I have friends who swear by gravediggers. I’ve had good blood trails with 1 3/8” grim reapers. My blood trails have been sparse with fixed blades, even with double lung hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgnading

FNG
I've been wondering what broadhead to use for my first elk hunt as well. I've been seeing a lot of people using the traditional 2 sided broadheads and have been curious about them. I know there's likely countless threads on the issue but I also know technology is constantly changing. I used a grim reaper broadhead this past whitetail season and it didn't deploy so I'm on the lookout for a good fixed blade now!

i have been wondering the same on the 2 blades with bleeders. penetration will not be an issue with them but no blood trail sometimes dosent matter on how well you stick them. im going on my first archery elk hunt this coming fall and been looking for advice. Have been using grim reaper hybrids on whitetail with great results. im going with a heavier arrow setup for elk obviously, and really am just looking to see if anyone has had experience with them on bigger animals. Or am i overthinking this lol

Beendare

WKR
I've seen that Evolution outdoors BH perform well on multiple animals.

This is the new company from the guy that invented gravedigger....this is his new improved head
HERE

OP
N

ndmarine

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the responses gents! But anybody know about REAR deploying hybrid w 1.5” cut diameter or less. OR does anybody know if you could swap blades on the rage xtreme to get cut from 2.5” to say 1.5” blades

Marble

WKR
There is way to much to consider than just your broadhead choice for why or why not there wasn't a blood trail. Skin, muscles and joints all together, move...that type of movement can cover up a hole. Upper half or lower half of the body etc. Even with heart shots or double lungs dont always bleed a ton onto the ground.

I have tracked double lung and heart shots that barely bled. Just scuffing marks where the animals runs on trees and logs and grass.

Obviously, this is my experience and opinion. I will not use an expandable.

There are no absolutes in archery elk hunting. But if you watch what the majority of guys do and what some states outlaw, expandlables are the one ruled out.

There is a time and place for them, but you have to know when and where that is, and be diligent enough to stay within the recommendations of when and where they should be used.

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just my two cents..... I'm a whitetail hunter that's planning his first archery elk hunt. I've dumped a ton of whitetails on the ground with Rocket Sidewinders (1-1/2" cut) and now Rage Hypodermics (1-1/2" cut) and a few with Slick Trick standards. Blood trails have been nothing short of graphic. With that said, the blades get beat up passing thru a deer, and they are fairly light boned. Elk are 4X the size with a corresponding bone structure. When I venture into the elk woods, my arrows will be tipped with either ViperTricks or 2 blade Stingers, both of which fly great from my setup, out to 50-60 yards.

Just a side note ....there are guys on this site and a few others that are absolute stone cold elk killers. When they offer an opinion or suggestion....well, he who has an ear, let him hear.

Brendan

WKR
Appreciate the responses gents! But anybody know about REAR deploying hybrid w 1.5” cut diameter or less. OR does anybody know if you could swap blades on the rage xtreme to get cut from 2.5” to say 1.5” blades
Rage Hypodermic +P is a 1.5" cut. SEVR also has a small cut version of their head that got great reviews from a penetration perspective.

No personal experience with either.

I'm a slick trick guy. They fly great out of a properly tuned bow. Talked my coworker into using them for a elk hunt last year and he harvested his first bull with them. Clean pass through, no problems with a 420 grain arrow. Kinda light but performed.....

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
I have friends who swear by gravediggers. I’ve had good blood trails with 1 3/8” grim reapers. My blood trails have been sparse with fixed blades, even with double lung hits.

X1000 first year shooting mechanicals last year. Complete pass through with the 1 3/8” grim reapers, 440 grain arrow. Bull didn’t go 50 yards and was dead in 10 seconds. Probably will never go back to fixed.

This is the new company from the guy that invented gravedigger....this is his new improved head
HERE

What is improved on the evolution outdoors head from grave diggers?

HERE

I gotta say they look good. I'd be concerned about the Hyde however with the 2" blade trying to pass through a big boned Elk. I like the more conventional 2 blade with a bleeder. Probably going with the Day 6 broadhead and a fairly heavy arrow, most likely a Xtorsion SS with the with the ethics archery outserts and Sleeves.

bignocks

FNG
What about the sevr 1.5. they arent rear deploying but they swivel which in theory should help with pentration.

cgasner1

WKR
With that head and a pass thru my guess would be a high lung shot? Arrow did exactly what it was meant to do thing with blood trails it seems like the other post said is hide and muscles come into play but also the higher the holes the longer it takes to fill the cavity to wave blood if you want a amazing blood trail hit them in the lower third