hybrid broadheads for moose

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Have Any of you guys tried a hybrid broadheads for moose? I love the idea of it and have seen plenty of them used on elk but moose are a different beast. I was looking at the blood sport hybrid.

GotDraw?

WKR
Deer ribs are a big as your finger or thumb, moose ribs are almost as big as your wrist and elk somewhere in between. If rib strength/toughness is an exponential function of the diameter, then I would not waste my time on any mechanical and I would make sure my fixed blade broadhead was as thick, tough and sharp as possible.

I used Iron Will on my Yukon moose (about 1,500lbs), double lunged him 2x and he was down in about 50-60yds.

JL

Laramie

WKR
I am a mechanical fan but elk is where my fandom stops. I shoot a low 90s KE setup and have cleanly taken bull elk with mechanicals. I however have seen elk rib direct hits significantly lower penetration. They got the second lung but not by a lot. I have to believe moose ribs would reduce penetration even more on a direct rib hit so wouldn't chance it.

I would be shooting a very sharp and durable fixed for moose. I have only harvested one moose so don't have a ton of experience- take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
I am a mechanical fan but elk is where my fandom stops. I shoot a low 90s KE setup and have cleanly taken bull elk with mechanicals. I however have seen elk rib direct hits significantly lower penetration. They got the second lung but not by a lot. I have to believe moose ribs would reduce penetration even more on a direct rib hit so wouldn't chance it.

I would be shooting a very sharp and durable fixed for moose. I have only harvested one moose so don't have a ton of experience- take it for what it's worth.

I agree with Laramie completely. I use a trypan for elk and have had great success/blood. Elk however, is as big of game as I would take with anything other than fixed. Unless you shoot some crazy setup (but even then I would be worried that the broadhead would just explode or bend). I would go fixed and really sharp. I've never shot a moose but with my experience on elk with expandables, I wouldn't risk it on something that big. The margin of error increases I think with an animal like that. I'm curious to hear what others say.