Hybrid Quilt/Sleeping Bag

Tyler127

WKR
I've been looking at Hybrid quilt/sleeping bags. I'm a side sleeper that tosses back and forth all night. I've tried numerous sleeping bags and do not sleep well mostly due to the hood. That brought me to researching quilts when I found the two options below.

I've been looking at the Enlightened Equipment Convert and UGQ Qutlaw. This style of quilt/bag seems to be exactly what I need. I like the full zippers to still use as a sleeping bag without the hood to get tangled up in, but have the option to use as a blanket/normal quilt in warmer weather.

My question is are there any other companies that have hybrid quilts/bags that are similar to the two listed above? I want to make sure I've researched all the options for this style before deciding on what to buy.

OP
Tyler127

Tyler127

WKR
I personally do not like a quilt with open footbox. I own a 10 and 20 degree EE Enigma.

I almost tried one of these. However the little extra weight kept me from ordering. It is close but not exactly like you posted. However, it has no hood.

https://zpacks.com/products/10f-full-zip-sleeping-bag

What makes you not like the open footbox? I assume it is not quite as warm, but is there any other downsides (besides not opening up as a blanket)?

Appears you can cinch the open footbox down tight. EE makes one with a closed footbox (Conundrum) that also has zipper to close it like a bag. I was also looking at that one.

I will check out the zpacks one. Thanks!

@Tyler127 Yes the open footbox can be colder on my feet. That is my reason. I am 99.9% of the time carrying extra layers I can put on my body at night to keep warm. However, my feet can get cold and the enclosed footbox works best for me. I have no interest in carrying booties all day just for my feet at night. Most things I carry have duel purpose.

The enclosed footbox only comes up to about my knee. The cinch down model compresses the insulation and makes it not work as well.

This is just my preference. Many use the other style. Depends if you have warm feet and what conditions you plan to be out in. I plan for the idea I might get caught in a bad situation and then pray I dont. LOL

OP
Tyler127

Tyler127

WKR
@Tyler127 Yes the open footbox can be colder on my feet. That is my reason. I am 99.9% of the time carrying extra layers I can put on my body at night to keep warm. However, my feet can get cold and the enclosed footbox works best for me. I have no interest in carrying booties all day just for my feet at night. Most things I carry have duel purpose.

The enclosed footbox only comes up to about my knee. The cinch down model compresses the insulation and makes it not work as well.

This is just my preference. Many use the other style. Depends if you have warm feet and what conditions you plan to be out in. I plan for the idea I might get caught in a bad situation and then pray I dont. LOL

Thanks! I didn't think about the insulation being compressed with the cinch model. Also, makes sense on the extra layers for your body and not for your feet. I agree I would not want to carry booties just for at night.

Gives me more to think about.

svivian

WKR
I would say the park series sleeping bags by big Agnes. They do have hoods but I never use it on mine. Can be zipped down to the bottom on both sides and a sleeve on the back to put your pad in. I have two of them for three years now and love them

I bought the ugq hybrid last year but havnt been able to try it out yet. (waiting for another knee surgery hence my screen name) Its heavier than what Id like but damn close to advertised. Its a little tight in the shoulders all zipped up but I think it'll help keep me warmer when its below freezing. Mine is the 10* version. If I had it to do over, I might go with the EE for the extra room but I think they were also more expensive plus I had one of their older revelation quilts at 10* which they admitted wasnt anywhere near the 10 * rating and even though they had the equipment and know how, they refused to overstuff it to try and get it closer to the rating. This wasnt just me, it was all of their customers at the time and it was a topic here and probably on the hiking forums as well. At least they were honest and I havnt heard about any complaints since. They said they were going to start filling them more so Im sure they did. One thing though, I had the quilt with the zip and snap foot box and the draw string and my feet never got cold.

Sherman

WKR
I’m pretty sure Hammock Gear can custom make anything you need. Their sleep systems are top notch and are comfort rated, not survival rated. I’ve had my 20 degree top and bottom quilt (in a hammock) down to 10 degrees and was fine with my merino base layer on. I’ve had it down to 25 degrees in my skivvies and was hot.

I have an apex EE convert. I like it. Down side is it is heavy and bulky. If you order one keep in mind that their specs are for an infilled blank. My filled bag was 4-6 inches short on each dimension. If in doubt, size up.

OP
Tyler127

Tyler127

WKR
I have an apex EE convert. I like it. Down side is it is heavy and bulky. If you order one keep in mind that their specs are for an infilled blank. My filled bag was 4-6 inches short on each dimension. If in doubt, size up.

Good to know on the dimensions, Thanks!

What makes you not like the open footbox? I assume it is not quite as warm, but is there any other downsides (besides not opening up as a blanket)?

Appears you can cinch the open footbox down tight. EE makes one with a closed footbox (Conundrum) that also has zipper to close it like a bag. I was also looking at that one.

I will check out the zpacks one. Thanks!
I have a conundrum and really like it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Feathered Friends Flicker

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk