Hydration Question

Generally I guzzle some water whenever i feel the slightest bit dry, which is every 20-30 minutes. I figure as long as I'm peeing periodically I'm hydrated. But last archery season while hunting in CO we found few water replenishment sources and I was carrying over 4L of water on my back, struggling to hunt from dusk to dawn in the heat while rationing myself. Is there a right and wrong way to stay hydrated in such conditions? I had less than 6ozs of water when I finally made it back to the truck. Was over 100 degrees that day.

isu22andy

WKR
Curious as well, how do most of you when backpack hunting know where to look for water to filter ? Or its it that plentiful its never really a problem . I hate being dehydrated .

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
It's important to be hydrated before you go out too. So the night before drink lots of water. Higher sodium intake throughout the day is also important because you're losing a lot in sweat. You can also drink too much water. High water intake, sweating a lot (100 degree day) and low food/ sodium intake can result in hyponatremia (blood sodium levels too low) which can be just as dangerous as severe dehydration in the backcountry.

Curious as well, how do most of you when backpack hunting know where to look for water to filter ? Or its it that plentiful its never really a problem . I hate being dehydrated .

Water is life in the backcountry. I’m always on a backpack trip that I get to hunt also. I find places while scouting and knowing places year after year. Some creeks that flow in July could be dried up some years come September. Mid day of day 1 is a great time to fill extra lightweight containers and bring them back to camp. I typically sit some sort of water source mid day as well. Great time to top everything off from the morning hunt.

I have a lot of trouble finding water in some areas. The deer and elk have little seeps and mudholes they'll drink from, but it'd take a lot of work to filter, plus I don't want to go spreading my scent all over their water source. That's a great way to show your cards to a big muley. Some areas, if I'm staying a while, I'll pack in my camp, then return to the truck and pack in 5 or 6 gallons of water. If it's hot out, I'll pack in frozen gallon jugs so that I have a chance of getting a cold drink. Sounds nuts, I know, but in certain spots there just isn't water to filter besides the puddle the bucks are using.
As far as staying hydrated, I bring gatorade mix and an empty gatorade bottle. I have one in the AM and one in the PM. Works well along with drinking 2-3 liters throughout the day. I have a 3-liter bladder in my pack, and it's full when I leave camp every morning, usually nearly empty when I limp in after the sun goes down.

I've only had trouble finding water once. We knew there was a stream in the bottom... but we were at the top, and it was a long, steep, thick climb. There ended up being a turbid cattle pond which we double filtered and waited to get sick, never did though.

The high alpine areas have all had plenty of water where I've been. It's the low-middle elevations where it seems more tricky.

Edit: I usually bring Emergen-C to add to my water in a separate camp cup. A packet of that and half a scoop of preworkout makes for a nice boost.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I'm in FL, not climbing mountains but we have 90-95 degrees out and 95-100% humidity to deal with from May - October. Hydryation is a big deal.

If I only drink water there are leg cramps and gout to deal with. Often spice up my water with pedialyte, gator aide, coconut water, etc. to increase electrolytes and stave off cramps and heat exhaustion.

That might help?

Randle

WKR
I try to ration sweat not water. Doesn't always work when a elk squeals and the chase begins. I pound the water the night before at camp and carry as much in my body as on my body . This has worked for me. But water isn't usually a problem in N Idaho.

*zap*

WKR
I think that when it is very hot and/or very humid you may need more than just water so zipfizz is an option to consider, also an energy boost that has 0 sugar. Comes in flip top tubes that are reusable if you want to carry other powder supplements.
I have also found that TAG by Metabolic Nutrition is a very good recovery supplement for physical exertion and feeling drained from that type of exertion in heat/humid conditions. It is a glutamine that is formulated to not be absorbed by the digestive tract (most glutamines are largely absorbed by the digestive tract and do not enter the bloodstream) so it all goes into the bloodstream. Glutamine helps replenish depleted muscle cells.
I do physical work outdoors and TAG has decreased my recovery time very dramatically when I am totally spent....multiple doses taken 2 hrs. apart has worked very well for me.
Dehydration can be very debilitating so finding good supplements that will work for you to minimize it is both $ and test time well spent.

I can't imagine hunting at the temps mentioned myself. I sweat enough in the 70s if moving.

That said, I also require suppliments from bycling in heat and climbing hills and I find good advice here from hunting I apply there. And vice-versa.

I use both of these regularly
7abcd2c5baa014de40e57f6dac27f8ae.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Where's Bruce?
Okay, lemme try this again as my question is not being answered. You've hiked a long distance to a known spot that always has water and wallows...except this year. Drought has taken a massive toll and even larger, very reliable water sources are gone. You carry supplements, were well hydrated beforehand and carry NUUN tabs to ensure you have electrolytes. You aren't stupid, you know what you're doing, are properly equipped and that's why you are carrying EXTRA WATER IN YOUR PACK. The question is, is there a right way or wrong way to utilize that water when replenishment suddenly ceases to be an option? Is continuous drinking throughout the day wise or only wise to a point? When you hit that last litre of agua you know it can go pretty fast. I have run out of water completely and it absolutely sucks and kills your endurance. I've been on treks where it was so hot that I didn't sweat or pee at all. Spooky early archery elk season experiences that I never wanna relive. We are only addressing the proper way to ration the water on your back. Keep in mind that as you drink, the load on your back gets lighter making it less of a physical demand on your body. Seems like there is a reasonable way to balance this for maximum performance, right? I've only tried continuous consumption throughout the day until the pack is very light. Then I wait until I'm parched.

madtom

FNG
Only walk farther from the truck until your water is half gone. Then walk back to the truck. :)

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
This seems like a pretty subjective answer, if you get an animal down you rationing goes out the window and you will absolutely need more water.

To me it's like a pick your poison, conserve water as much as possible limiting yourself on how far and hard you hunt or take the extra day and go get water to haul in.

In my opinion no need to make an emergency situation out of a shitty situation, eat the day and get more water.

Water conservation can become real tricky when your output is variable.

Others may have it down to a science but I have known what it feels like to be over exerted parched and the only thing I want is water, I will try to never let that happen again

bobr1

WKR
I don't think rationing water is a smart thing on a hunt unless it is in an emergency. If you are to the point of having to ration vs hydrating properly then you should probably move out of the area and find a new reliable source of water. It doesn't take long to get a heat injury. If you are thirsty then you are already behind the curve for hydration. If, however, you do need to ration then If your urine is clear you are adequately hydrated so you can cut back some but it's a slippery slope of getting dehydrated and really no straight answer to your question. It really depends on a lot of variables, temperature, humidity, altitude, physical size, how hard you are moving etc. I'd also say if you are rationing then when you get back to a water source or vehicle then you should probably take something that has electrolytes at that point to help re-hydrate faster and keep electrolytes in balance. Seems like there are a ton of different brands of them now. We used Drip Drops in the military because they are an oral re-hydration solution and they actually taste good. About as effective as an IV and you'll be recovered faster. It's also great for hangovers lol.

*zap*

WKR
I think the answer you are looking for is going to vary for different people, different ages, different levels of condition, different metabolisms and etc.. One thing may be universal.....if your humping all day in 100 degrees no one is going to feel great that evening. Water alone may not be the answer, moderation of activity that would include resting for the hottest part of the day may help a bunch, thou.
The thing to be aware of is: as you dehydrate your body focuses on sustaining certain areas of your body so you may start to feel better or not feel that bad......until a few hours later. Your personal previous experiences should be what guides you on your actions, after 1 or 2 times of suffering due to activity in certain conditions you will know your limits and how to stay within them rather than go over them.

ColeyG

WKR
Your goal, it seems, should be to stay properly hydrated. What does that mean? It means you should be peeing every few hours and when you do, it is clear or "straw" colored. If you aren't peeing regularly, or, if when you do it is yellow, you are dehydrated. It goes without saying that when you are dehydrated your physical and mental performance declines. It get worse from there.

How much and/or how often should you drink? That depends. Our body uses water based on a whole host of factors that vary based on the day, environment, your recent personal history, etc.. Personally I think it is better to do what it sounds like you do and drink smaller amounts regularly throughout the day because I think that is closer to how we use the water that is in us. The binge and purge method seems to lead to more of a cyclical energy and performance curve for me at least.

Eat before you are hungry, drink before you are thirsty. Put your clothes on before you are cold, and take them off before you are hot. Nothing to it.

When working with a finite amount of water that I know won't be enough to keep me properly hydrated for a whole days worth of activity, I usually go pretty light at the outset of the day and then drink more towards the end in thinking that a bolus of fluids and or food should help offset some fatigue later in the day. I seem to always wind up with a little extra of each, food and water, even on days where I could (should) have easily consumed it all. Nice to have a little insurance policy against unforeseen events.

Good luck.