Hydration Question

Pueblo

FNG
I'd like some input on hydration options. Here's the situation:

Eberlestock Blue Widow Pack which has room for 2X 2L bladders in the main compartment and another 2L in the "roof" pocket which can be used as a butt pack for stalks etc. I'll be hiking in about 4-5 miles and then wandering day to day above timberline. In for 5-6 days. Right now I have a 3L bladder that actually fits in the main (side) pocket, a 2L bladder, and a 2.5L Platypus storage bladder. I can stuff all of these in various places and have 7.5L total. Just a pain to fill each separately, etc. Would I be better off keeping it simple and just take the 2L bladder (because it fits into the roof compartment/butt pack) and get a 6L Dromedary for storage? I do not know how far I'll need to go to get water as I've not been to the unit before and it seems like a dry year.

Rizzy

WKR
It sounds like you have enough capacity, I don't think I would buy a 6L unless you have the budget for it and want to consolidate. Going into new areas is always tough when it comes to water, especially when you are hiking ridges. when I'm scouting a new area I like to start my hike along a creek and follow it up all the way to the place it comes out of the ground and fill up there.

I would think 4L would get you through 2 days. If there are animals in the area then you are usually no more than a day from water. The only thing tricky sometimes is finding it and you don't want to spend your whole hunt looking;)
Do the maps show any springs up high?

OP
Pueblo

Pueblo

FNG
Thanks Rizzy. The map shows several springs and this is not a desert, it's alpine Colorado. I just know it's a dry year and things change. I may be more concerned about the hassle of three containers, two of which have drinking hoses.

A lot of folks will do something like you are suggesting. Use a 2L for daily consumption and then a larger for storage in case you don't find other water sources in the area you are in during the day. You can carry the 6L full or partially full as a reserve or leave it in a base camp location if you plan to use one. Another option is to get a 2 gallon or so collapsible water container, fill it up and leave it at base camp, and then just use the 2L during the day. You could also partially fill the 6L with 2+ liters and use it as your day source and leave the 2L half full as a reserve. Lots of options, just think about what you will be doing and then decide the best use of your existing gear. You could leave the 6L at base camp as your backup as well.