Hydration System

Drenalin

WKR
I don't know exactly how I ended up going down this rabbit hole, but I've got some questions about my water treatment plans. I may be overthinking it. Here are the pieces I'm trying to make work together, if someone has some experience with this or something similar:

Dirty/collection bag is an Everynew EBY208 (2-liter)
Bladder is a Camelbak Mil Spec Antidote
Filter is a Sawyer Mini, but I'm wanting to change out to the Micro for better flow rate

My goal is to be able to fill my Camelbak bladder without taking it out of the pack. The Antidote I have has a disconnect where the hose connects to the bladder, but also has one at the bite valve. The disconnect at the bite valve is integrated with a shut off valve, which I really want in this scenario so I don't have to worry about the pressure build-up squirting water back out of my bladder/hose after I fill up. My question is, do either of the Sawyer filters work with the disconnect already on these Camelbak bladders? Or do I still need the Sawyer fast fill adapter? If I do still need Sawyer's adapter, does it have a shut off valve too? I may have to just buy the stuff and try it out, but looking for a sanity check so I don't do too much or too little.

You’re definitely on the right track! You will need to purchase a piece of tubing and a camelback quick disconnect. If I remember right; the Sawyer quick connect doesn’t have a tight fit with the camelback connector. Coming off the Sawyer filter, you will use a piece of tubing to a male connector like you have on your bite valve. I also add a pinch valve on that piece of tubing so I can use leftover water to fill pots, camp water, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xziang

WKR
Going to follow for I want to lighten up my system and size too. I use katadyn hiker pro which works great especially for backfilling the bladder. Quick easy but kjnd of bulky compared to the inline filter systems and bags. (Or so it seems)

Quackhead

FNG
Look at source hydro bladders they have an attachment that replaces the mouth piece to refill with water bottles

OP
D

Drenalin

WKR
Sounds like this would have been a lot simpler had I started with a Source bladder and used some of their accessories. Here's how I finally worked it out for my Camelbak components.

First, as eaglebowhunter pointed out above, the Sawyer Fast Fill components do not have a tight fit with the Camelbak components. I was losing more water than I was putting into the bladder.

The bladder I started with was a 3L Camelbak Antidote. I decided to replace this with an older 2L Omega bladder, which has a different style connection and does not include the big clunky bite valve cap. I took parts off the Antidote to use with the Omega, but due to the different style connections, also did not get a tight fit using all Camelbak components.

Next, I picked up a Camelbak Hydrolink conversion kit, which does have the same connection style as what came on the Omega water bladder. I took the bite valve off the new HydroLink Bite Valve Adapter, put a 3-inch piece of tubing from my Antidote on it, and finally had something I could work with. I had to stretch the tubing with a pair of pliers and heat it up with a lighter to get it over the adapter, but eventually managed to get it on there.

I also had another Antidote laying around, so using the parts I took off the first Antidote, was able to have a fast fill setup for it as well. Now I have the ability to use either the 2L or 3L bladders with my Sawyer Micro filter, and both setups work pretty well as of right now.