Hydrobloc Cream Alternative for Zamberlan (981 / 996)

mtn_man

FNG
Howdy, I picked up some new 981's and 986's recently. I have probably 20 pairs of boots that are each specific for different hunting, hiking and mountaineering environements, and over the years I have had the best luck following the manufacturer's recommendations for boot treatment.

That said, there's apparently been some shortage on the Hydrobloc waterproofing treatment that Zamberlan recommends for their full grain Hydrobloc leather. I'm going deer hunting in 9 days in a pretty nasty area, so I'm wondering what you folks have found to work well in place of Hydrobloc with this type of boot.

I have a some Obenauf heavy LP and some of Kennetrek's treatment, but I remember reading something about one of the common waterproofing treatments being not good for Hydrobloc leather (I'll be damned if I can find it again).

Thanks in advance 😎

OP
mtn_man

mtn_man

FNG
Quick follow up for posterity, I reached out to Zamberlan and asked (1) when they're expecting to have more of their Hydrobloc creme in stock and (2) what their official recommendation was on an alternative for their Hydrobloc leather boots. The response I received was:

1. We are hoping to have more hydrobloc cream and spray later this month.
  2. We recommend using NikWax leather conditioner as an alternative.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
“Hydrobloc” leather just means leather treated with their stuff.

I’ve had good luck with Nikwax, color and consistency in the bottle are different. Hydrobloc is like a clear silicon consistency. Nikwax is a watery paste you need to shake up. End result on the boots seems the same.

I can’t imagine a different brand of water based treatment (Hydrobloc and Nikwax are) being detrimental. A silicon based compound is (might be oil, buyer to verify), as it fills the pores of the leather, blocking it from breathing.

So yes, some hurt, but others are fine. Water based will work fine with the boots. I have both. Happy with both.

OP
mtn_man

mtn_man

FNG
“Hydrobloc” leather just means leather treated with their stuff.

I’ve had good luck with Nikwax, color and consistency in the bottle are different. Hydrobloc is like a clear silicon consistency. Nikwax is a watery paste you need to shake up. End result on the boots seems the same.

I can’t imagine a different brand of water based treatment (Hydrobloc and Nikwax are) being detrimental. A silicon based compound is (might be oil, buyer to verify), as it fills the pores of the leather, blocking it from breathing.

So yes, some hurt, but others are fine. Water based will work fine with the boots. I have both. Happy with both.
It can greatly on the chemistry of whatever they're using to treat their leather. I've destroyed the finish on a pair of full grain leather boots with Nikwax leather conditioner and their nubuck/suede conditioner trashed a pair of Lowa's that I had a couple of years thereafter. Those are just some of the reasons why I tend to use whatever the manufacturer recommends, since they will know what to use and what not to use.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
You just said that they recommended Nikwax. Maybe I’m missing something.

I hope you can find a medium between not Nikwax and not in stock Hydrobloc.

Like I said, it’s always worked great for me. My boot cupboard has a big tube of Hydrobloc and tons of nikwax stuff. Haven’t found them to be choosy on the boots they’re applied to IME.

Nickwax nubuck and suede spray. I would spray them before you take them out the first time. I had the 996, but had problems with two pairs in a row. The rubber rand pealed off on both pair. I hope that does not happen to you.

I'm not sure what is the next best.
But hydro bloc lasts about an hour, absolute waste of time imo.
Ended up sno sealing my older pair of 980s and don't think I'll do that again.
Il probably try grangers or just use the kenetrek wax I have.

Bedrock

FNG
I'm not sure what is the next best.
But hydro bloc lasts about an hour, absolute waste of time imo.
Ended up sno sealing my older pair of 980s and don't think I'll do that again.
Il probably try grangers or just use the kenetrek wax I have.
I just had to revive this. I agree 100% on the hydro bloc being worthless. If you walk through wet brush or grass for 15 minutes it’s gone. Years ago, after trying all the latest and greatest stuff, I went back to snow seal. It’s never hurt any of my Zamberlans and in wet conditions lasts for days instead of minutes. I only brought this up because I never see reviews about this.