Hyperlite Mountain Gear Packs?

Jauwater

WKR
Has anyone spent a good bit of time under one? I recently purchased a Southwest 2400 for a 4-5 week trip im planning, and I'm curious what to expect. This will absolutely be the pack I bring along for this trip. I'll be going ultralight for the whole trip w/ an approximate overall pack weight ranging 15lb-25lbs at the most. I have no distance in mind. I've been disappointed w/ about every ultralight pack I've ever tried, which aren't many. But the aluminum stays that are offered in this Ultralight pack is the reason I chose this pack. So anyway, there was a two week lead time on it, and it should be shipping any day. I know if I had 10lbs in my Ute, or on my Duplex frame, I wouldn't even notice its there. Im curious if HMG packs offer kinda similar results with the lower weight mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Geewhiz

WKR
Following this thread. From my brief research, that is (obviously) a ultralight backpacking pack, and not really designed to carry much for weight. It seams though since there are no load lifters, not much for a hip belt, and a minimalist frame, it would be great for backpacking but I don't see a purpose for hunting and packing meat/heavy loads.

But under 2 lbs is nuts. Just for overnight or multiday scouting trips it looks like it could be legit.

My buddy runs one. I seems fine until about 25-30# and then the lack of structure gives him shoulder pain. It has some tears and fraying after a few years of moderate use. I didn’t lie the fit or feel so went another direction.

My gossamer gear Mariposa is about 2x the weight but still under 3#. More of a frame and more comfortable in my opinion. I’ve carried 40# in relative comfort with it. It is also showing some wear after a dozen or so outings. Cuts, fraying and pulls in the mesh.

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
Following this thread. From my brief research, that is (obviously) a ultralight backpacking pack, and not really designed to carry much for weight. It seams though since there are no load lifters, not much for a hip belt, and a minimalist frame, it would be great for backpacking but I don't see a purpose for hunting and packing meat/heavy loads.

But under 2 lbs is nuts. Just for overnight or multiday scouting trips it looks like it could be legit.
Keeping an ultralight packs designed structure while loading it, every single day, sometimes multiple times a day becomes monotonous. And a few of those ultralight packs have no stays at all, and you can feel it on your back if one thing is packed outta place, since the last time you unpacked. Being that im used to HPG, and Kifaru packs, those types of things annoyed me big time. But with this HMG pack w/ the stays, and the added pods I picked up for it I should be able to load this pack and keep a perfect design structure which should also help with comfort with an ultralight pack. I actually already got the pods, and put together a whole system to fit in them perfectly, and I've already got the whole interior organization figured out. Also, the orientation of the stay looks unique, and I think I can understand their logic with no load lifters w/ stays w/ that orientation. It looks like a very well thought out ultralight pack. I don't expect it to perform like a Kifaru or HPG pack. But I have very high hopes for this pack 20lbs and under.

I used one for backpacking for a year. I used mine quite a bit in SE Alaska and I really appreciated the weatherproofness of the pack for those rainy days. I think for the weights mentioned, you'll be fine. Anything north of 25 pounds won't be very comfortable for a long day, IME. If you're ever gonna have weights above 25, I'd go the the Seek Outside Flight.
IMG_16021.JPG

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
That is gorgeous

Thanks!

duchntr

WKR
I have one of their packs cant remember if its a 3400 or 2400, either way Ive been using it all winter for ski touring, bird and predator hunting trips for the last 5 years. It has stays so it holds its shape fine and carries moderate weights fine imo even without the belt which I rarely use. Everyone has different comfort/fitness levels so I wont say how much weight it will comfortably carry for you, but I have loaded the thing down with predator calls, ammo, water, tripod etc and felt comfortable. A heavier pack with load lifters would be even more comfortable without a doubt but I like the simplicity of the hmg pack.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hmm .. I am biased but I think our Flight packs carry a lot better for fairly similar weights and are much more durable. We did some comparisons with the Flight .. different class of packs IMO.

I rarely say stuff about other manufacturers , but I do sometimes issue warnings if I have heard bad CS , or really poor durability or not backing up a warranty or offering it . Some issues I have heard from others , I have confirmed with my own eyes. I will say this though that if you want more of an Alpine / UL pack for more climbing based stuff .. I would recommend Alpine Luddites .. he makes really good packs. If it is for backpacking / or scrambling or high routes .. I really do think our Flight is just a different class of pack at a similar total weight. r

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
Hmm .. I am biased but I think our Flight packs carry a lot better for fairly similar weights and are much more durable. We did some comparisons with the Flight .. different class of packs IMO.

I rarely say stuff about other manufacturers , but I do sometimes issue warnings if I have heard bad CS , or really poor durability or not backing up a warranty or offering it . Some issues I have heard from others , I have confirmed with my own eyes. I will say this though that if you want more of an Alpine / UL pack for more climbing based stuff .. I would recommend Alpine Luddites .. he makes really good packs. If it is for backpacking / or scrambling or high routes .. I really do think our Flight is just a different class of pack at a similar total weight. r
I have a Revolution w/ the Peregrine bag that almost got the nod for this trip. Absolutely love it. I was eyeing the Flight One Xpac / Spectra pack before the HMG, but I'd rather have the Flight 2, but was worried about the lead times, and my departure date.

Are any of your Flight series packs in stock? I may try to pick one up.

Thanks

mlgc20

WKR
I've used numerous UL packs over the years including HMG. I ended up having a custom made UL pack made by Zimmerbuilt that closely resembles the Southwest. I have done countless trips with it and have loved it. But, you do have to be very disciplined about your packing. Find what weight works with your pack and then never, ever go over it. Even by 8 ounces. These UL packs get to a point where the weight just won't allow them to function properly. There are always tons of folks on the trail with overloaded UL packs. And you can see that the pack isn't riding correctly. If I need to carry extra weight, I move from my Zimmerbuilt pack to my EXO K3. I am looking at the SO Flight 2 as an in-between pack.

If these had been an option when I bought a few years back I would have gone this route. Every thing I have purchased from seek outside has been rock solid. Buy with confidence.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a Revolution w/ the Peregrine bag that almost got the nod for this trip. Absolutely love it. I was eyeing the Flight One Xpac / Spectra pack before the HMG, but I'd rather have the Flight 2, but was worried about the lead times, and my departure date.

Are any of your Flight series packs in stock? I may try to pick one up.

Thanks

There may be a few in stock .. the best is to call and ask.

OP
Jauwater

Jauwater

WKR
There may be a few in stock .. the best is to call and ask.
Well, I went ahead an ordered a Flight 2 Xpac / Specrta. I've been wanting one since I got the email. I really like that Xpac fabric. So I'm happy to wait for it if its not in stock.

I have high hopes that one of these two bags coming will change my experience w/ light weight packs, and make its own place in the gear room. We will see!

I purchased a SO flight one full spectra as a scouting pack/pack for my wife when she tags along hunting or backpacking. Super impressed with it so far. I loaded it with 50lbs and I don’t think I would want to go for a long way like that, but if I had to it could handle it. In the 30-40lb range I think it could carry all day with the proper frame height.

Honestly not sure the difference between the flight two and flight one, anyone know besides the mesh front pocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I purchased a SO flight one full spectra as a scouting pack/pack for my wife when she tags along hunting or backpacking. Super impressed with it so far. I loaded it with 50lbs and I don’t think I would want to go for a long way like that, but if I had to it could handle it. In the 30-40lb range I think it could carry all day with the proper frame height.

Honestly not sure the difference between the flight two and flight one, anyone know besides the mesh front pocket?

We did a podcast
Flight Two Podcast

Mesh pocket, and bottle pockets. Bottle Pockets are unique as far as we know, basically they are Patent pending and allow the pocket to drop lower therefore they are easier to reach and handle tall bottles better

Other updates ..
Bottom is doubled in Spectra to increase Durability
Small usability tweaks on the harness
Belt sizing goes a bit smaller

My take on it and carry . it can carry all day in the 30's well for me. I can get it up to 50 range .. some people report higher .. however our general advice is that while it can do more .. the bigger packs are better if you are above 35 consistently .. if you go above it for big food or water its fine ..

It really feels similar to our big packs, just in a smaller streamlined package

mlgc20

WKR
Well, I went ahead an ordered a Flight 2 Xpac / Specrta. I've been wanting one since I got the email. I really like that Xpac fabric. So I'm happy to wait for it if its not in stock.

I have high hopes that one of these two bags coming will change my experience w/ light weight packs, and make its own place in the gear room. We will see!

I’m sure you’ll like it. I went back and forth between the Flight 2, the Gil, and the Divide. Ended up going with the Divide. I have an 8 day trip coming and the Divide is the perfect size. Looking forward to it.

We did a podcast
Flight Two Podcast

Mesh pocket, and bottle pockets. Bottle Pockets are unique as far as we know, basically they are Patent pending and allow the pocket to drop lower therefore they are easier to reach and handle tall bottles better

Other updates ..
Bottom is doubled in Spectra to increase Durability
Small usability tweaks on the harness
Belt sizing goes a bit smaller

My take on it and carry . it can carry all day in the 30's well for me. I can get it up to 50 range .. some people report higher .. however our general advice is that while it can do more .. the bigger packs are better if you are above 35 consistently .. if you go above it for big food or water its fine ..

It really feels similar to our big packs, just in a smaller streamlined package

Man I just got the Flight One in March and already have new pack envy haha. Any accessories coming out for the shoulder strap daisy chains like a water bottle or cell phone pocket?

Rokwiia

WKR
I’m sure you’ll like it. I went back and forth between the Flight 2, the Gil, and the Divide. Ended up going with the Divide. I have an 8 day trip coming and the Divide is the perfect size. Looking forward to it.

I struggled with the same decision and ended up with the Gila in X-21. I'll order a custom 4,800 bag in either X-21 or SpectraGridHT and interchange those as needed.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Man I just got the Flight One in March and already have new pack envy haha. Any accessories coming out for the shoulder strap daisy chains like a water bottle or cell phone pocket?

Yes but I don't know the date. Maybe I'll get it nailed down this week. We've been super busy its harder to get those out. The Z Packs bottle holster I know will work. Ours is more height adjustable and little beefier. Chances are most of the shoulder strap accessories from others will work

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
xiaoxu425