Hypothetical Pack-Out

Northpark

WKR
I kill most of my elk like this. My usual is gutless method. 4 trips. 1st and 2nd trips each haul a boned out hind quarter plus a backstrap and a tenderloin. Third is both boned out front shoulders. 4th is neck, trim, brisket, flanks, and any other scrap of meat I can find like heart or tongue. Plus the head comes out in the 4th trip.

Rizzy

WKR
For an uphill pack out you want to pace yourself enough to be able to complete the the job and not be tore up so much that you can’t do it again next weekend. I go with About 60 lb loads for short intervals on the uphill sections of the pack out. Hang it and go back for the next one.

OP
O

OkieElk

FNG
Thank you all for the comments!

North park - is the idea you want a lighter loaded trio 3-4 or are you trying to ensure the weight is evenly distributed for each load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
Thank you all for the comments!

North park - is the idea you want a lighter loaded trio 3-4 or are you trying to ensure the weight is evenly distributed for each load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m generally trying to get the heavier loads done first but with that breakdown you usually end up with fairly evenly distributed loads. That last load is the lightest if packing a cow because no head. With a 280-300 bull that head evens out the weight on that last load. Head is last out because antlers don’t spoil.

It’s time to fulfill your obligation no matter what. Each hind is a trip. You can do both fronts at the same time. Head and backstraps last. Four trips starting with the heaviest.

I would two trip something like that. Both hinds boned out plus the back straps in the first load. I would only pack it to the top, then go back down for the rest. Next load would be all the rest of the meat plus the antlers. Once that load is at the top I know it’s a pretty easy trip the rest of the way out.

I've managed to get a few bulls out in 3 trips solo and several cows out in 2 trips with a variety of packs, but never with that kind of initial climb. My plan would be to use the gutless method and remove the lower legs below hocks or knees. Hang skinned, bone-in quarters in game bags to cool while working on the rest. You can make some thoughtful cuts on the hind quarter to open it up from the femur and let some extra heat out. I don't think the meat cools very well if you bag it up in a big boneless wad, if you spread it out without a tarp you're just adding dirt and duff, you don't get 360deg air circulation, you're giving the flies more surface area to lay eggs, and you're just inviting scavengers to pick on the pieces while you're away packing meat. Boned out meat on a pack frame is like trying to contain a bag of jello, and I hate putting meat in my pack compartment for a number of reasons.

First and second load will be hind quarters with backstraps and tenderloins. Third load will be both front quarters. Fourth load will be all the rib/neck/scrap meat and head. If the temperatures allowed I would probably be really tempted to shuttle all of it to the top of the big climb, hang it in the shade there, and then start getting meat to the truck.
This is about exactly what I do. Of course slight modifications depending, but that’s a perfect generalization for packing a mature bull

Finch

WKR
Enjoyable read!

I know the routine of hanging the meat in cool shady places. What temps do you guys actually worry about even if you find a shady spot? Daytime highs of 70's-80's don't concern you if you kill an elk first thing in the morning and know you'll be leaving it hanging all day.

rclouse79

WKR
Man, there are so many variables - trail vs. no trail, blow down/beetle kill vs open terrain, your level of fitness, weather, snow vs no snow, ect.

If it was hot I would shuttle all of the meat to a cool spot like a creek bottom. Then reconsider my options.

If you in are blow down / beetle kill your loads are gonna have to be way lighter, especially if it is wet or snowy and slippery.

If you gain all of that elevation by hiking straight up a mountain and there is snow, you can bring an entire bull on a sled and the downhill is easy.

Also, that distance solo i would debone in some situations and would not debone in others. But if it was hot and I was deboning, I would keep it as cool as possible and hang it on the bone as long as possible.

Regardless of all of that, the head is the last priority and probably doesn't come out until all of the meat is taken care of.

It really is a difficult question - best case scenario, you are looking at a really long day, but if you are in a really bad spot, it could take like 4 days.
I agree the head should be last.

Sled

WKR
Enjoyable read!

I know the routine of hanging the meat in cool shady places. What temps do you guys actually worry about even if you find a shady spot? Daytime highs of 70's-80's don't concern you if you kill an elk first thing in the morning and know you'll be leaving it hanging all day.

Better to hunt closer to the truck in those temps imo.

Find moving water and shade to hang over if you plan on harvesting way back in those temps. Otherwise keep them on the hoof until they get closer to your truck or temps drop, whichever comes first.