Hypothetical question...if COVID cancels hunting

Jeepers87

FNG
So I was thinking the other day as things keep getting pushed to the right with lockdowns, some states limiting non res license sales etc...that if this thing continued into the fall and states just up and canceled their hunting seasons what that would like look for herd health and what not. Maybe making next season a banner season or perhaps help those areas where high hunting numbers tend to keep the herds down, and maybe animal movement goes up with lack of humans in the woods all summer into fall. Thoughts ?

ODB

WKR
I’ve had the idea to leapfrog areas annually so that no one area is hunted two years in a row. Not sure why I’ve had the idea, but I have... end result similar to what you are talking about. Who knows what the result would be, probably unhappy hunters for a few years...

KineKilla

WKR
Depends largely on the particular unit, species and next year's winter kill. If you only cancel out the animal mortality from hunting you may see only minor improvements.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
Depends largely on the particular unit, species and next year's winter kill. If you only cancel out the animal mortality from hunting you may see only minor improvements.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
For a single year out west this is probably the most realistic. A year with a hunting season and a mild winter probably nets you more animals than no hunting season and a harsh winter.

In the southeast where winter is always mild we could see an uptick in white tails, but with the larger bag limits it would quickly be flattened back out.

OP
J

Jeepers87

FNG
I was thinking as far as animals numbers goes something similar. Harsh winter and no hunting and it becomes a wash. The thing that raised my curiosity is in the animal movements now that people are out of the woods if that might cause some shifting. I would think not, but the amount of animals more relaxed and out and about can’t be a bad thing in some areas. I think white tails probably have the most obvious uptick, but like said here, the next year would be realativly flattened. Elk and mule deers I still think would benefit, but only marginally so. Just another year of point creep with no relief in most states

bsnedeker

WKR
I was thinking as far as animals numbers goes something similar. Harsh winter and no hunting and it becomes a wash. The thing that raised my curiosity is in the animal movements now that people are out of the woods if that might cause some shifting. I would think not, but the amount of animals more relaxed and out and about can’t be a bad thing in some areas. I think white tails probably have the most obvious uptick, but like said here, the next year would be realativly flattened. Elk and mule deers I still think would benefit, but only marginally so. Just another year of point creep with no relief in most states

Maybe this isn't the case where you are, but out here people are not even remotely "out of the woods"! I was out chasing turks and bears this weekend and every trailhead and gated road had cars parked on it and only a handful were hunters. Tons of people out just shooting recreationally and going on hikes and picnics to get out of the house.

OP
J

Jeepers87

FNG
Yeah, I got reassigned to northern VA from OK, and COVID has us locked up pretty good. Inside the beltway I have a lot more deer wandering into the urban areas. Folks back home have seen more movement on their cameras but that’s private farm lands. I glad to hear folks are still up and out in the west though. I know Ohio has stopped non res hunting and fishing permits for the outbreak, so my parents land was off limits for me turkey hunting already.