I always thought Marsupial Gear was heavy...

Trees91

WKR
Grabbed a used marsupial gear bino harness from the classifieds, I've always wanted to try one....I just throught the were so heavy. I've always used Kuiu harnesses, the newest pro model I have is light but bulky.

I've seen the clip delete ladder locks marsupial sells and I figured I'd repurpose some buckles I had laying around. (This isn't anything new, Ive seen people do this)

BUT: I was surprised at the final weights.
Marsupial pre buckle chop- about 13oz
Marsupial after all buckles replaced by Kuiu ladder locks- 10oz
Kuiu Pro size large -12.8oz

Nothing ground shattering, but interesting and thought I'd share.

F2B44705-840F-4B4E-B3D1-013C76761595.jpeg3D42461A-6268-4593-BCEB-9E25E18A0219.jpeg68D833E0-7AB7-49B0-9754-9A3EDC707500.jpegF9A30E7E-4F99-487C-B4D4-363DA426094E.jpeg

eltaco

WKR
Now you got me wondering how I go about getting a bunch of spare buckles...

Nice work!

cronsman

WKR
Made this same switch and I like the versatility of the Marsupial gear harness better.

wekilldeer

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! I did the buckle delete also but mostly because I hate unnecessary clutter and like to keep things as simple as possible. I also have gone through many bino harnesses and the marsupial works best for me. I went with the original version because it keeps my glass adequately clean/dry but I can get my binos out very quickly without the taller sides of the new version

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Over the winter I've been selling off my other harness and going to all marsupial gear. They fit all my binos well and don't have any extra gimmicks. The rangefinder pouch is also a nice addition, I used to keep it in a stone glacier zippered accessory pouch.

eltaco

WKR
Really the only downside to the Marsupial to me is the magnets interfering with compass. Using GPS and aerial imagery mitigates that concern. Otherwise, I think it’s the best bino harness I’ve had my hands on. I also did the buckle delete.

I’m not wild about the back harness itself and it’s one area I do prefer the Kuiu, but it’s not horrible. I may order up the straps that connect directly to my Exo pack to remove the straps from my shoulders. I suppose that would be the ultimate light weight solution.

wildcat33

WKR
My only complaint with the marsupial is the rangefinder pouch just flops around when clipped to the waist strap. Anyone found a better way to secure a side pouch?

OP
Trees91

Trees91

WKR
Mine is pretty secure. But it does like to lean forward away from my body, which is annoying.

tdhanses

WKR
Now you got me wondering how I go about getting a bunch of spare buckles...

Nice work!

eltaco

WKR

Ah, thanks.

I already have that installed. The OP has a lot of Kuiu lightweight buckles on his setup.

I actually ordered up the pack connect straps today to delete the rear harness anytime I’m wearing my pack. One less thing hanging off my neck sure sounds nice!

Vandy321

WKR
Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering this also. I don't care for the rangefinder pouch as it is now.
The strap on the rangefinder pouch goes through the closest loop (inside the buckle) on the bino harness. It looks a little funny when it's not on your chest, but sits flat and doesn't wiggle on bind when wearing it...

A video from marsupial attached.

The strap on the rangefinder pouch goes through the closest loop (inside the buckle) on the bino harness. It looks a little funny when it's not on your chest, but sits flat and doesn't wiggle on bind when wearing it...

A video from marsupial attached.

Problem solved. Thanks!

mproberts

WKR
I'm also a big fan of the marsupial gear harness but I had to replace those stock webbing tethers with bungee style ones. It allows for a lot more movement without having to unclip your binos, while still protecting them from a fall to the ground.

There is a guy on ebay that sells the ones I bought if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_7973.jpg
    IMG_7973.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 64