I am new to pellet grills, which is the best one?

sndmn11

WKR
But all the instafamous flat bill hunting celebrity influencers say Traegers are the best? Their integrity is unquestionable so that must be the truth.

meanwhile back in reality, I have been pretty happy with my pit boss.

That's because on the "pro" websites you can snag camp chef and traeger for $ a lot closer to what they are truly worth.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been really happy with my green mountain. Honestly they all do the same thing. If you use them a lot and like me aren’t the best at cleaning and taking care of them over the coarse of time any of them will deteriorate. I’ve used the Costco grill a trager, and meat turns out just as good as my green mountain. If I had to buy a new one today I would go with whatever name brand is cheaper.

TexaninSconny

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Silverston. When it works right its great. Traeger has sent me ever part on this grill at least once

Same. I had issues with my Traeger in the first six months. Went through a lot of parts and finally sent me a brand new guts of the unit (hopper/auger/firebox). Which fixed it, but it was a painful two months to get the problem sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same. I had issues with my Traeger in the first six months. Went through a lot of parts and finally sent me a brand new guts of the unit (hopper/auger/firebox). Which fixed it, but it was a painful two months to get the problem sorted.

They did the same for me. Occasionally it still cooks way too hot. I will probably buy rec tec when the time comes

We got a rec tek a couple years ago it’s our first pellet grill. Zero issues we use it at least once a week and it still works as new. My only complaint with pellet grills is that i want to get some char on some of my food and it’s not really possible with my rec tek

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SG Wifi 24" last year. I have always had trouble with the WIFI working. The grill does the job but I don't love it. I can say Camp Chef customer service has been great, I just wish I didn't need the customer service. I am a little concerned about the amount of rust I have had to grind off and paint over... but for $450 its...ok. My brother in law opted for a top of the line Yoder but he paid for it. I have already started looking at a more premium manufacturer like Rec Tec

Agross

WKR
Have a green mountain grill, and have had nothing but problems with it literally since I bought it. Have replaced several parts on it and is still not working right. Dealing with their customer service has been a joke. Would never give them another dime . Will be replacing it with a grilla or a recteq next.

Loper

WKR
I bought a Camp Chef Smoke Pro SG Wifi 24" last year. I have always had trouble with the WIFI working. The grill does the job but I don't love it. I can say Camp Chef customer service has been great, I just wish I didn't need the customer service. I am a little concerned about the amount of rust I have had to grind off and paint over... but for $450 its...ok. My brother in law opted for a top of the line Yoder but he paid for it. I have already started looking at a more premium manufacturer like Rec Tec

I was at a cookout last weekend at my neighbor’s house and was very surprised by the amount of rust on the front bottom half of his Camp Chef. Its probably 5-6inches tall by 12-15 inches wide. He said it’s only like 7 or 8 months old too. I told him he should call their customer service about getting it replaced but he said he hasn’t simply because he doesn’t want to have to assemble a new one again.

mlgc20

WKR
I’ve had my Traeger for about 5 years. Not saying it’s the best. But for 5 years, it’s maintained the temp I set it to. Not much else I need it to do. It has a big rack of beef ribs on it right now.

z987k

WKR
They're not all the same. Most of them won't hold or even get to a higher temp in the cold. I've yet to see a Traeger or Campchef that can do above 400 when it's 0 out. I haven't been around others, so maybe they can?
My campchef doesn't like to stay lit if I set the temp at 160 unless it's above about 60 outside. It'll do 170 at lower outside temps.
It's enough of a pita, that I only use it for smoking. No grilling.

Traeger Silverton model when Costco gets them in. We also use ours 4+ days a week. We started out with a Louisiana pellet grill brand and it was junk. Had our Traeger for close to a year now with no problems

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I have the recteq 340. I really like it because it’s portable, I don’t need a huge one, it’s heavier gauge metal, and the app works well.

xcutter

WKR
My Green Mountain Grill has been good. Had it going on 4 years. Only part that has been replaced is the igniter and it was like $15 from the GMG website. My only real complaint is the grease management of the grill. Always get drips from the lid when closed and the smoke stack always leaks grease as well. If you get a GMG I would recommend buying the insulated cover that attaches to it. Makes a big difference in the pellet consumption.

Debating on purchasing a Yoder YS640 for my next grill. Seems to be top notch. About double the price of GMG but Yoder is made in USA.

I have a GMG and have had to replace a bunch of parts on it. Their customer service is good to work with though.

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my traeger for 4 years now and have been happy with it. No problems out of it. If i was going to buy another one I would probably get a yoder or pitboss.

Had a green mountain since 2015. Its been a good grill but probably needs replaced in the next couple years. The new ones have a ton of upgrades and new features, and for the price it will be hard to not buy another. I too would suggest the insulated blanket.

My only complaint is the same as @xcutter, the thing is greasy.. like black tar grease

The other brand I'd consider is a RecTec, but I haven't researched enough to tell me why they are better.

wytx

WKR
Yoder 640 is a great grill. Good friend has one and cooks on it year round in Wyoming. Actually does some catering with it.
He bought it after I got my Yoder stick burner and told him to look at them.
Solid built and will get and hold temp in the cold.

rec tec if you want the best in my opinion, yes they are way more expensive but that's mostly because Rec Tec uses PID temperature control vs most of the cheaper options out there use old school temperature control with preset temperature with timer and there for your grill will be constant temperature swings of 30-40 degrees. You wont get them temperature swings on rec tec due to the PID temp control