I am new to pellet grills, which is the best one?

My son has the CampChef Woodwind with the sidekick and likes it. Also having an issue with rust on the front even though he keeps it covered and only a year old +/-.

Matthaias

FNG
I live next to a Home Depot so Traeger for me. I got it to make summer sausage and smoke bigger cuts of meat. Smoked venison burgers are really good on it.

Prices are anywhere from reasonable to OMG! What is your budget and what are your goals?

Lots of good points made so far. There’s a lot to consider depending on your conditions and wants/needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BDRam16

WKR
I have a PitBoss and so far it’s been a great unit. Does have the option to open the sear plate in the middle for a “direct flame” but it would only be the middle 1/3 of the grille. Doing a backstrap at 225* until rare and then opening the sear plate for a nice char on each side has been the absolute best medium rare deer steaks I’ve ever had.

CB1

FNG
I got one from zgrills with their Halloween surprise thing. It’s not super fancy but price was good and seems to work well enough for me. If you want a basic one I’d recommend it, more bells and whistles I’d look elsewhere, or the higher end models which I don’t have.

rsw669961

FNG
I too have a zgrill. Not fancy but works great. I like using the competition blend pellets. I get the ones at tractor supply.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CB1
Do any of these pellet grills sear? I do a fair amount of searing for fish, sous vide, and we like char on our smoked wings..I run a propane grill and box smoker now..haven't been able to find a brand that will take the place of these 2.

RecTeq makes a small pellet grill thats geared at being more of a grill than a smoker. It can get up to 750ish degrees but can also smoke stuff.

Its about the same size as the classic webber charcoal round grate grill. I wanna says its about $400

Agross

WKR
I have the 590 as well. I picked it up after having a lemon of a green mt grill. I did a job for a guy that had the 700 and asked him how he liked it. He said it was great , but wished he had gone with the 590 , as the 700 is almost too big unless yer always hosting parties cooking large amounts of food.

Leibhart1

FNG
Love my pit boss and haven’t had any issues in 3-1/2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a ton of research and spending $1200 if I had to do it again I’d go to Costco and get a $700 Traeger Silverton.
I got the older Costco Silverton from a co-worker for $50 and it has been pretty great so far. It does seam to ash quite a bit, but it may be the pellets I am using. I have seen a few comments made that since the vent is on the back and down low, that the smoke flavor is a bit better than those that have the vent on the top

RS3579

WKR
I have a Recteq 590. I’m very happy with the performance. I highly recommend them.

Dshore

FNG
I have a Recteq 590 as well. Love the simplicity! However there are times when you cant beat the heat from a piping hot Charcoal webber.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had a Pit Boss and didn't like it. I slow-cooked a 1/2 brisket and it used an entire 20lb bag of pellets in 8 hours at 225, and the brisket came out gray in color. I just bought a Masterbuilt 560 gravity charcoal smoker/grill when Amazon had it on sale for $397. Smoked some racks of ribs for four hours and they came out great. Very easy to use, and charcoal & wood is cheaper than the pellets and lasts longer.

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Traeger on marketplace for half of the sticker price so I would say it was worth that. Another tip if you are a deal hunter like myself, at the end of summer/fall I found a display model pit boss for more than 50% off at Lowe's.

Beefmanne

FNG
I can’t recommend Yoders enough, best pellet smoker I’ve seen. Not as good of a grill, but I have a friend that runs a Mac pellet grill that works similar to a charcoal grill.