I asked this once long ago.... and i still havent gotten any better at it

Gerbdog

WKR
Is there a concrete method to differentiate between moose sign and elk sign? I feel foolish for having to ask, but to this day when im in moose and elk combined territory i never know if im looking at a moose rub, elk rub, moose crap, big elk crap..... Especially when theyre on their summer diet and its all just a big mess.

Sure... when the moose are eating their woody diet i can tell it apart (usually) unless its in the dead of winter months... then they all start looking the same again.

Currently my only best guess and method is.... if i see chewed willows at the bottom of the basin near water i just assume its moose in the area......

If the crap has a "dimple" on one end, looks like an acorn, i assume its elk.

I know there is a size difference but... a big (elk) bulls gonna make big dumps, and as i mentioned above.... i cant even begin to figure out the differences when theyre on their summer diet and its just a big pile.

I've seen them both regularly use wallows, and i cant tell for certain in the mud if its a big bull elk or a big bull moose hoof print.

Taste: Elk just taste more like grass and moose just taste more like tree.... just wanted to head this one off, i know its the age old, best way to tell it all apart... gotta develop your taste palate for these things.

Just curious if any of the veteran woodsmen had any knowledge to pass down on giveaways on moose vs elk sign.

Moose pellets are usually coarser on the outside and are twice as long as wide and rounded on each end.

Elk tend to be somewhat glazed and smooth on the outside. The cows are round on each end while the bulls have a dimple on one end. I think I read that in "elk of north america". In the spring and early summer- a plop is a plop. Check the tracks.

Moose tracks are usually pointed where elk are somewhat rounded. When young they are hard to tell the differance. I have tracked some cow moose a ways in the snow before I could get a clear enough track to tell.

Elk pee is distinct and sweet to musky. Moose isn't as strong and is influenced by the willows they are eating in the latter parts of the season. A big bull moose track is harder to tell from a bovine than an elk. I have seen some that were 5" x 4" in the snow while elk seem dainty by comparison.

4rcgoat

WKR
Moose pellets are usually coarser on the outside and are twice as long as wide and rounded on each end.

Elk tend to be somewhat glazed and smooth on the outside. The cows are round on each end while the bulls have a dimple on one end. I think I read that in "elk of north america". In the spring and early summer- a plop is a plop. Check the tracks.

Moose tracks are usually pointed where elk are somewhat rounded. When young they are hard to tell the differance. I have tracked some cow moose a ways in the snow before I could get a clear enough track to tell.

Elk pee is distinct and sweet to musky. Moose isn't as strong and is influenced by the willows they are eating in the latter parts of the season. A big bull moose track is harder to tell from a bovine than an elk. I have seen some that were 5" x 4" in the snow while elk seem dainty by comparison.
Learn something new everyday.