I bit the bullet

Finally did it. Bought myself a Kifaru Hunter frame. The wait begins. Looking to get a lot of use outta this bad boy. So happy I just thought I'd share it. :D

God Bless men

oldgoat

WKR
Fun stuff! Watch the videos on donning the pack closely, the order you adjust the shoulder straps and load lifter straps makes a difference etc. First year I got mine it wasv almost elk season when I got it so didn't have much time to train with it. It was nice, but not near as comfortable as I had imagined, second year with it, watched more videos, learned more about loading it etc, I couldn't believe the difference!

OP
W
No bag yet. Just the frame. Gotta wait till next payday on that. I'm just going to train with it. I'm quite the seamstress so, I'll make my own harness system for lashing training loads to the frame. I've been using several packs but, when I stepped up to the 80 plus pound loads training in them, my back has started giving me a bit of trouble. They just aren't designed for that. I've carried that much in them before but never every other day for two months time like training with them since February. Their inadequacies become apparent when doing this. A sensitive or sore body sure has a way of highlighting deficiency's in pack and packer. :D I've come to the mindset that after spending probably $2000 on assorted "cheaper" packs, when you hit in that 70 plus pound loads, you separate the better pack from the rest of the packs. I'm basing that on pure speculation at this point but, so many people can't be wrong. And, with having the support they offer in helping you get it right, I'm sure I'll fall in love with this thing.

I'm going to go with the Apollo first, with a belt water bottle holder, and two small belt pockets. Be all I need for day hunts packing gear and stand in, while being able to bring all that and a whole deboned deer out. Most people don't realize it but, when you pack a 20 pound stand in, with 32 ounces of water, food, extra layers, safety harness, calls and optics, you get in that 35-40 pound range on your back real quick. Add on a whole deboned deer and horns on the way out and, you get into that 80-100 pound range real quick. Its gotta come several miles too. I've done it for years with army surplus stuff, marine packs, and all sorts of outdoor hunting packs. I even dropped $350 on a nimrod wilderness system. Well, I'm older, my kids are gone, I got a lot more miles on me, and hunting is my recreation. So, I'm no longer going to skimp on it or, be hard headed in trying to justify not buying a better system.

Every bag and accessory I order from Kifaru will be in Ranger Green. I plan on picking up a woodsman later for my out west hunting. I'm so excited men. Take care and God Bless

OP
W
Well, the pack appears to have shipped on time. Actually a little early. But, UPS keeps pushing the date back. Started out Wednesday, then Thursday, now Friday. I'm getting a little PO'ed at UPS.;)

I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting on this thing.

oldgoat

WKR
I never have that problem, I just stop by Kifaru and pick stuff up, but still have the anticipation of the it's ready to pick up message

Christmas in May! Enjoy it Justin. Now's the time to drop hints about accessories for Father's day gift ideas.

HookUp

WKR
Best pack purchase I ever made. gets year round use, solid investment.

OP
W
Rick, I probably should have done that. Instead, I acted responsible for a week. When I ordered the Apollo, I caved and bought a water bottle holster and a Small belt pouch at once.

It's been a week and a half of ups and downs with anticipation and impatience on several major things planned in my life. Found out last week everyone but me canceled on our Colorado elk bow hunt. I swear they must have colluded together to tell me all the same day. In the course of two hours it went from finding one replacement to finding three new guys I've never hunted with. To say I was irritated would be an understatement. By the time I got through to my dad to tell him that two guys had dropped out, I was only mildly surprised when he said, "I been meaning to talk to you about that.". I didn't even resist. Then, UPS pushed the delivery date back starting Friday. I was a bit on edge this weekend.

But, things changed for the better Monday! Logger buddy of mine came into the yard. I reckon my business partner told him what was going on. When I finished unloading him, he came right up and invited me to go with him and his brother for Colorado rifle elk!!!!!! Good people that love to hunt as much as i do! I was so dumbfounded I almost couldn't get, "Heck yeah!" out of my mouth. I've killed elk with a bow but, I have never had an opportunity to rifle hunt them. Always wanted too. But, nobody I regularly hunt with wanted to miss the
whitetail rut here bad enough to go in November. Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!! This guy is serious too because yesterday he brought me a list of stuff to buy for my required food contributions. Awesome! I love that kind of resolve when planning a hunt.

So, I'm back to floating again! Now, if this pack frame would just get here, I'll get back to heavy hiking every other day. I'll be flyin' then. ;)

God Bless men

Well, as your self-appointed enabler, you could probably still use some pull-outs, a couple of meat bags and or some Tag BOMBs for Father's day.

Glad your trip rebounded after the defections. Have a great hunt.

Squirrels

WKR
Mountaineer, I know the feeling about anticipation, mine is supposed to be here Friday. Hunter frame and Reckoning, all in Ranger with a Coyote water bottle pouch.

OP
W
Got it!!!!!! Put some sand bags on it, compressed the cargo panel around it, weighed it in at 58.9 pounds, and took it for a 1.2 mile test run round trip. Up and down a 35% slope. It did awesome!!!! They nailed the adjustments perfect. 60 pounds with absolutely ZERO shoulder fatigue. I love this thing all ready.

I tried posting a pic but got a temporary unavailable message. I know you'll have seen them before but, you ain't seen mine! I truly can't believe the difference this thing makes. Unbelievable.

I never have that problem, I just stop by Kifaru and pick stuff up, but still have the anticipation of the it's ready to pick up message

Oldgoat, do you get better pricing when you pick it up at their shop?

Last edited: