I blame you guys

My vest, attack pants, and hat came in really love he pants but was hoping the vest would of been a bit longer in the front, but still really like the vest. I'm now trying to talk myself out of a spindrift before the sale is over.

Get the spindrift! I have the guide jacket, spindrift, and chugach jacket. As I play with the pices more Im wondering why I got the guide jacket as I think the first lite merino base layer, spindrift and chugach will cover me pretty well in most situations.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Get the spindrift! I have the guide jacket, spindrift, and chugach jacket. As I play with the pices more Im wondering why I got the guide jacket as I think the first lite merino base layer, spindrift and chugach will cover me pretty well in most situations.

More and more people are seeing the light of the no real need for a soft shell .:D

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks a lot, I just bought a pair of burnt olive attack pants so you wouldn't feel so bad:)

Last edited:
I like the guide jacket for those cold and dry days. Yes it is not needed and you could get by with the spindrift/chugach only but it is a very nice luxury item to have along.

I like the guide jacket for those cold and dry days. Yes it is not needed and you could get by with the spindrift/chugach only but it is a very nice luxury item to have along.

The guide jacket is very nice. But as Im looking to get my pack weight down Im just looking at my clothing options. The downside of the spindrift is I dont think I would want to push brush with it or crawl around on rocks as it isn't very tough, like the guide jacket is. The guide jacket is staying in the pack for now, but if I do a solo hunt or cant wear it on the hike in it may not make the cut.

Last edited:

muleman

WKR
I hunted last year exclusively in Kuiu. Most of the time I only had the Guide jacket on. If I was cold I layered the Spindriff. If it was wet I used the Chugach layered appropriately.

The way I see it. The Spindriff is definitely not designed to bust brush and doesn't have a hood. The Chugach is the best rain gear I've used. With that said I don't want bust brush in it unless I have to. So I use the Guide as my primary outer layer and the Chugach is 17oz of security. Another variable I played with was the 11oz Guide vest as the primary outer layer.

Just my .02¢

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
muleman, I will be trying the guide vest as the primary outer layer this year as well. Rain gear will come out only when needed.

Mike7

WKR
This is why I think the "Attack Shirt" would be perfect for Aug-Oct backcounty hunting instead of the Guide Jacket, especially in areas like Alaska and Idaho where you really need to carry raingear anyway (i.e. a guide jacket alone won't sufice).

I think it could end up being almost as popular as the Attack Pant. I would like it to be longsleeved, light weight of course, hoodless & collarless, 1/3 zip, have velcro or elastic cuffs on sleeve ends, and slightly oversized. This would be a great alternative for covering base layers and insulating layers when brush protection is needed and only light water/rain protection is needed. It could also be used to cover non-camo base layers for stalks, etc. It would save your other layers and also rain gear from unnecessary abuse. It could make a great camp shirt too.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Haha I have come into the same boat. I spent the money and bought the Chugach Rain gear, attack pants, and spindrift last year. I just graduated high school so all my graduation gift money has bought me a Sitka Jetstream, and am waiting for the Guide pants to come back in stock. Also gonna get a new rangefinder and some firstlite stuff soon.

ktowncamo

WKR
...my Attack pants was with it. I am very pleased. Extremely comfortable, and fit perfectly. I am a bit surprised at how light weight they are, they don't seem very durable, but all the reviews I've read praise their durability.

I'll add my 2 cents - they are super durable. I've had a pair of grey ones for a year now that I use for most of my scouting ventures and they also wear around town well too. I had them in the willows and brush scouting some river bottoms on Saturday and an inferior pant would have been torn many times over. They laugh at nasty brush and downed timber. Once summer hits in full swing, they are a bit heavy (warm) compared to my Core4 Switchback so I use those for the July/Aug time period. But you should be more than confident with the Attack pant, it's a keeper!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, I just joined the club...I couldn't pass up on the 25% off. Guide Jacket order is placed!

dotman

WKR
I'm very impressed! The belt is 10 times the belt kifaru sells, it is actually wide and not a norrow 1" belt. Really like the fit, glad I jumped on the band wagon.

2rocky

WKR
I had a fella tell me, "the earlier you buy good hunting gear, the more years of use you can spread the cost over". I tried to sell that angle to my wife and she wasn't buying it...

but if you are specific with your birthday and holiday gift lists, over the years you can acquire a good rain shell, good base layer, pants, boots and pack. Don't expect it all at one time...

I have moved to the DARK SIDE myself.

I started hunting only 3yrs. ago. Didn't have enough money to buy the things I needed.Bought rifle, $100 pack frame, cheap starter light camo(outffitterseries,cabelas).Luckily I had a friend with a bunch of extra stuff,to let me borrough.Got a better paying job. I just ordered Kifaru LongHunter pack,Bought new side arm(Springfield.40)new scope,new binocs.Range finder.Currently Looking for high dollar rain and cold weather gear. I have the itch everyday waiting for the season to start! Welcome, welcome to the DARK SIDE!