I booked a bear hunt for the spring of 2023-----Help!!!!

Booked a hunt in northern Idaho for next spring. It is spot and stalk on the snake river. I'm told it's pretty wild country. I have never really hunted big game outside Wisconsin so I am looking for advice.

1. What do I absolutely need and what should I absolutely not bring?
2. Insight from those who have been there (what to expect, what didn't you like, what did you like, what would you do over)
3. How in shape do I need to be?
4. Anything I am missing

chris

92xj

WKR
I'd say that outfitter got the better end of the deal with you booking a spring hunt for last year, this year.

92xj

WKR
In all seriousness, you will need the best boots for your feet and the best pack for your body. Leave everything you don't need to survive in the truck. That is big country, like real big, like bigger than I would assume you've been in before.
Boots, Pack and be in the best shape of your life. The outfitter will tell you whatever else you will need to actually have on your body.
Clothing, base layer top and bottom, light pants that dry quick, fleece mid layer, puffy and shell. Gaiters.
Weather will be cold and snowy to 80 and sunny with heavy downpours filled with lightning, thunder and hail.

EdP

WKR
A client that asks that question should be a concern to any outfitter. You should always be in the best shape you can be and you will be ready for almost any hunt AND much healthier overall.

Rotnguns

FNG
I'm assuming that you are going to hunt the Hell's Canyon area. Very vertical country - perhaps the outfitter will pack you in. Probably best to ask the outfitter about equipment and conditioning so you'll both know what to expect. Lots of blackberry bushes along the river so I can imagine the bears would enjoy it!

OneGunTex

FNG
We did central Idaho DIY this year, having never hunted the mountains before. Can confirm it is big, steep country. We are all on the younger side, but every day we dropped more and more weight in camp. Tough when you have to descend 500+ vertical feet to find an animal that went over the ridge, and then you've got to get back up.

Pack light in a good weight-bearing pack, and be prepared to side-hill. Trekking poles helped a bunch.

LWatts

FNG
All outfitters say the success depends on your physical condition and shooting ability

Pick a spot in Hells Canyon (Snake River) and do a Google Earth measurement and include the path with elevation profile option. That will give you an idea of the country. Then factor in the mud after you get a spring downpour.

Bc7mm

FNG
Been hunting the hills of British Columbia for 30 years. A few things come to mind. Water filter, as said before, very good waterproof boots that you have spent time hiking in before the trip. Good hiking collapsible poles. Pack light. You will be surprised what you don’t need. Lots of high calorie foods. And eat and drink often when hiking in the hills. I eat something every couple hours, it helps. A pack with a water bladder and a tube is a great idea. I mix some sort of electrolyte powder into my water now and then as well. You will want to train with your pack increasing the weight As you get conditioned. AND, did I mention pack light 8)

MHWASH

WKR
Boots are the most important, make sure yours are broken in and you're wearing them in conditions like you'll be hunting in. I've had two different brands "broken in" preseason, but when I started hiking off trail, I quickly found out I had not broken them in properly. The first time I about ruined my hunt because I could hardly walk, luckily the next time, this year, I also brought my old standbys.

Booked a hunt in northern Idaho for next spring. It is spot and stalk on the snake river. I'm told it's pretty wild country. I have never really hunted big game outside Wisconsin so I am looking for advice.

1. What do I absolutely need and what should I absolutely not bring?
2. Insight from those who have been there (what to expect, what didn't you like, what did you like, what would you do over)
4. Anything I am missing

chris
1 you need a really good pack and really good boots, you can skimp on other stuff, never cheap out on those 2

2 expect to not see many critter possibly, action could be very slow that time of year.

3 Better shape than you'll be in. Nobody in the east can appreciate what gaining and losing serious elevation takes. I have a gut and am slow in the mountains, but i can keep going and going due to good legs and lungs. When you start your first real big climb, youre mind will tell you you cant do it. Dont psyche yourself out, you CAN do it, itll just suck. Pace yourself

4 Better to under pack than over pack. Bring high calorie efficient food. Make a good shot. Bear fat is usually very good to render/eat, dont believe the lies.... And Tikka is better than Bergara

That is all

"When you start your first real big climb, youre mind will tell you you cant do it. Dont psyche yourself out, you CAN do it, itll just suck. Pace yourself" (Whitey Fisk 88)

I like this, don't let it beat you mentally!