i can get a Leupold Kenai HD for $575, should i buy it before it's gone?

sk1

WKR
I really am not in the market for a spotting scope at the moment, i need one but it was last on my list to purchase.

I found a private seller that used his last year for one elk hunt and will sell it to me for $600 shipped.....is this deal too good to walk away from being that i wont be willing to spend over $1000 for a spotter anytime in the near future? he even has the warranty card that was never sent in.

they go new at cabelas for like $900 but can be found elsewhere online new for $799

what you guys think, im on the fence, is $200 savings worth jumping on it now vs paying full price or trying to find another used one in a year?

these are the only pictures i could find of the quality of the scope, read lots of great reviews (if you scroll down a guy named Ed T posted some pics with a camera he said he just held up to the scope......so not the best quality to base things off either)

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...topics/4114314/Re_Leupold_Kenai_Spotting_Scop

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
For that price email elknut and get an hd vortex, from what I have heard vortex glass is better but maybe BB or Aron will chim in.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
really? i know lots of people love the vortex razor hd, i thought the vortex viper hd (which is the comparable price range) didn't get nearly as good of reviews

i want to buy it, but i dont want to do it on impulse and regret it later :p so im looking for more opinions!

also i know everyone says save up for more expensive glass, but my budget wont be going over $1k for a spotter anytime soon, so something like this price range would be perfect until that day i own something like a swarovski

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That does seem like a good price, and the Kenai seems like one of the better Chinese spotters, but I couldn't get used to that weird obstruction they have on the helical focus ring. I haven't heard many poor reviews for the Viper HD. I have only looked at them a little, but they do seem to offer a lot of performance for the price.

the Celestron Regal ED is worth a look in this price range as well.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
thanks for the input, yeah that focus ring is a bit strange on the kenai, but i could probably learn to live with it for the price

dotman

WKR
Vortex glass is better I would think, not made in china. Elknut uses the viper hd and thinks it is amazing. I would send a few pm's out to Aron and Elknut to see what they say.

Don't forget to consider warranty also.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
dotman,

The Viper HD is Chinese. Lots of good glass comes from China. Nikon ED50, Nikon Monarch, Several Leupold spotters and bins, Zen Ray stuff, etc.

Vortex has a fantastic warranty, but Leupold is no slouch in Customer Service either.

Personally, I think I would take the Viper HD over the Leupy here also, though.

coop2424

WKR
I personally would say don't buy it You can find better deals out there. I got the Leupold golden ring hd with a tripod for $650. If you look around I think you can do better. My two cents.

dotman

WKR
dotman,

The Viper HD is Chinese. Lots of good glass comes from China. Nikon ED50, Nikon Monarch, Several Leupold spotters and bins, Zen Ray stuff, etc.

Vortex has a fantastic warranty, but Leupold is no slouch in Customer Service either.

Personally, I think I would take the Viper HD over the Leupy here also, though.

I could be wrong but I thought all vortex glass was out of Japan? But I do know better then to question you also when it comes to glass :)

Last edited:

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
Kenai

SK1,

The Kenai is a very good spotting scope, I had one on loan from Leupold for the past 2 years and was quite impressed. It certainly doesn't match up with the Zeiss 85, but I would say it is the equal of the Zeiss 65 Fieldscope that came out last year. I really like the 30x wide angle that comes with it.
$575 isn't a bad price as I'm thinking the pro deal was just under $500.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Vortex has lines made in China (crossfire, Nomad and Viper spotters), Phillippines (riflescopes: Diamondback, Viper, Viper HS, Viper PST), and Japan (Anything Razor, Viper bins). Like many companies, Vortex contracts with OEM companies to make the products to Vortex' specs.

Other companies do the same things, even companies like Zeiss.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
alright well thanks for all your thoughts, being that the reviews are kind of mixed, i'll hold off as there is other equipment i would rather buy right now.....i wanted to see if this offer was one i couldn't pass up, and it sounds like i can make a pass on this....not that it's terrible glass, but it sounds like if i keep looking in the future i will be able to find similar deals

thanks for stopping my impulse buy ;)