I cut up a brand new Stryker!

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
For years I’ve wanted a camp bag setup with a smaller dayback/load sling for elk hunting. I started with the original Kifaru Nomad. But, the tube pockets just didn’t work well for my setup. So I sold it.

Then I bought a Exo Beavertail and had @Squirrels add a bunch of pals webbing and a few other mods to it to fit my desired setup. Squirrels did a perfect job in getting it stitched up to my liking and I highly recommend him if your wanting to mod some gear. But when I tried various pouches attached to the pals, it worked ok, but it was too strappy and unnecessarily complicated.

I then bought a Singer HD 4452 and gave it a go for myself. It’s maiden voyage was on a Mystery Ranch Mule. I added a couple of attachment points so it would work the way I wanted it to on my Kifaru Duplex frame. I also made a +/-5,000 ci roll top cordura camp bag to go with it. That worked out most excellently on my elk hunt last year and I thought I was done.

However, I've been seriously lusting after the Kifaru Stryker for elk hunting ever since it came out. But the configuration with the load sling so high up was a deal breaker. My 5,000 ci camp bag would sit a foot or more over my head because of the lack of length on the load sling.

Evidently I wasn't the only one who had an issue with it. Kifaru must have gotten a lot of complaints/suggestions from others with similar issues. So they came out with the Stryker XL, but they still offer the original version.

The bag is bigger (unnecessary in my opinion) and they added some length to the load sling. But if you look at the pictures, it's still not enough and unacceptable for my intended uses.

I stared at the pictures of the Stryker and XL for weeks, scheming of ways to modify it to my preferences. I came up with a basic plan and bought a used regular Stryker off of Rokslide from @ZackJoe89. The transaction went flawlessly and it was a pleasure doing business with him. Thanks again Zack! I stared at it for an hour or two once I got it in my hands to finalize my plan of alteration.

I spent the entire day yesterday cutting on it. It was pretty nerve racking cutting up a brand new bag. I bought is used from Zack, but Zack bought it new along with the XL to try out and it never left his house. So it was essentially brand new. Definitely looked and smelled like it came directly from Kifaru.

I added some straps on the back side near the top so I can cinch it down taught when I'm in day pack mode. I just use the two attachment points at the top that I added and 2 k-clips
at the bottom and I don't have to use any of the horizontal compression straps to secure my day gear. That gets rid of all the aggravating strappyness in daypack mode, but I still have the straps when I need to haul a load.

That was an easy non-invasive/non-destructive mod. The next mod required me to cut the thing in half. That was sketchy as hell and I hesitated good bit before finally saying "screw it" and dove in.

I cut the load sling off at the bottom of the bag and added 16" of Cordura to the load sling to get a large load to sit where it needs to be.

The configuration is absolutely perfect now. I'm surprised I got it right on the first try. However my sewing skill are pretty shoddy at best. I blame part of it on my lack of skill/experience, but most of the problems lie in my machine. It's just not cut out for the bulkyness of the gear I'm sewing.

I paid $200 new for it and it's labeled a Heavy Duty machine, but it struggles significantly with all the layers. I'm constantly ripping out stitches and redoing it because it gets stuck and just makes a horrible rats nest of a mess. So, my stitch lines look like hell, but they're totally bombproof.

I'm really happy with the way it came out, with the exception of the sloppy stitch lines. I think this one is the final iteration for me for elk hunting...hopefully?!

fdbd67731199db3040be97ab98165b07.jpg

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Hootsma. I like what you’ve done here. It’s great when you take the leap and make something your own. How much length did you add to the sling? Also, how tall is your camp bag you have strapped in the sling in the first photo? Thanks, Rufus.

prm

WKR
Cool to see the customization. Do you have a way to attach it back shorter in order to keep a load of meat up higher where it needs to be?

OP
H

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Hootsma. I like what you’ve done here. It’s great when you take the leap and make something your own. How much length did you add to the sling? Also, how tall is your camp bag you have strapped in the sling in the first photo? Thanks, Rufus.

Hey Rufus,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. We just got back from spring break vacation.

I added about 16” of material to the sling, but after tucking the edges into the original Stryker parts, I ended up with a 13 1/2” extension.

The overall height of my camp bag is around 39”, but when filled with camp gear and 10 days of food and the top rolled down and secured it’s probably around 30”ish.

Last edited:
OP
H

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Cool to see the customization. Do you have a way to attach it back shorter in order to keep a load of meat up higher where it needs to be?

I’m working on that now. The way I see it, I have 2 options. I can put a pair 3-bar sliders on the inside of the sling where it lines up with the lowest line of pals on the frame portion of the Stryker or I can make a mini grab-it as a support shelf. The mini grab it will allow me to move it around and attach anywhere on the pals, whereas the 3-bar sliders will most likely be limited to the bottom row of pals, since I only have so much slack in the material. I haven’t decided which way I’ll go yet, but it’s definitely on the must have list to complete my setup. I may do both and see which I prefer.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Im in the middle of a new Pack Project. Taking a Kifaru XL Striker and putting it on a Decker Pack frame by Hill people Gear, The Stryker should arrive tomorrow =)

OP
H

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I’m resurrecting my dead thread because I modified my cut up Stryker again. I didn’t like the lack of adjustability with load height, especially smaller heavy loads like my 45 lb sand bag training weight and I didn’t like all the excess material that I added. It just added weight and bulk without any use in day pack or meat packing mode.

I decided to get rid of the all the extra material I added and make it into a 2 piece setup. My inspiration came from how the MR Mule worked on my frame. My problem with the Mule is that there were only 2 points of attachment for its load sling on my frame - at the bottom tab loops or the tab loops a third of the way up. With my mod, it’s completely adjustable to handle my 6,000 ci camp bag down to my dinky 45 lb sand bag with very little fiddle factor, surprising quick adjustments and no added unnecessary bulk.

I’m using a 36” long piece of 1” webbing with a triglide. The webbing is attached on both sides of the load sling in a pals configuration. When I’m in camp mode, as shown in the first picture, the triglides are attached to the bottom course of pals on the back panel and I also have the edge of the load sling attacked to the bottom of the frame with k-clips. From there you can just walk the triglides up the pals matrix (with k-clips detached) to give you the appropriate load height.

The last picture is my setup for small loads like my sand bag. I just take the k-clips I was using at the bottom of the load sling in camp mode and move them to the inside top pals on the load sling and then attach it to a single webbing course of the triglide strap. This holds the sand bag as high as I can get it and I’m able to compress it with the top straps.

I’ll take the new design on a training ruck this weekend, but it seems like a significant improvement over my original modification.

86c7b7bfe0ff98a25bb14f594dd0cc1b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
H

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
And here it is in small load setup with the k-clips moved to the inside top pals loop and attached to a single course of the triglide webbing. There are 4 pals loops on the load sling, on both the inside and outside, so any combination can give me the load height I need.

f4916308de7e5b01dd285b85141b46f6.jpg

Timnterra

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a used gen 1 Stryker and was reading through your thread thinking I would do what you did but just use webbing and buckles. How funny that you changed the set up around the way I was thinking about doing it. The problem I had with the Stryker is I have been using a nomad and I like to have my rifle tucked safely inside my pack with the butt down in a gun bearer, however the solid sling of the Stryker will not allow that, unless you cut it in half and put two straps that the nut stock can fit in between. Thanks for the inspiration.

OP
H

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
This will be my second season using it. The setup is working well for me. I made a camp bag for it last year, but it was a little too big. I could have used it as a sleeping bag if I needed to. This last weekend I cut it down to a more appropriate size. I haven’t stuffed it with my gear yet, but it looks like the proper size for me for a 10 day hunt.

Let me know if you want more specific pics or if you have any questions.

dromero

FNG
Love to see the final setup, packed for the 10 day excursion. I'm in a similar boat with a Stryker XL, love the pack but can't quite get the load shelf where I want it yet, still working on all the adjustments. Glad to see someone making improvements!