I don't want your honey hole, just your fishing hole!

That's right, I don't need to know where the 6x6's that come in on a string are, or where the monster muley's live. . . I'm just looking for a little insight on some fishing.

My buddy and I struck out on drawing tags, in the first draws, and the second draws, and even my home state draw! Which wound up ok because my wife's new schedule of doctorate level classes came out for the Fall and 10 days away might be a bit rough on her at home with our 3 kids. But we have some pack goats that need to see some vertical climbing, and who doesn't enjoy some fishing! I've caught lots of trout but most are stocked trout in Nebraska, so I am looking for some pointers on good high country fishing. So if you have some advice on areas or if you care to share specific info I'm all ears. We will be looking for the following things in an area.

1. Limited presence of big horn sheep . . . Since we will have our goats we will probably avoid core sheep areas even though the goats are fully vaccinated and health checked.

2. Would like a good hike to get in. Would prefer a minimum of 3 miles to get back in and 6 to 8 would be great. Something to get a good workout for the goats and ourselves.

3. Prefer to have more options than brookies. . . Would like to catch some cut throats or rainbows.

4. Looking at Wyoming and Colorado as both are close.

I know both states hold some great fishing that you can drive too but that's not what I'm after for this trip.

I'm doing some research now, but rokslide typically points me in the right direction so figured I would ask!

This will be be mainly catch and release outside of a couple of dinner fish!

Last edited:
High alpine areas completely devoid of Bighorn Sheep makes it fairly difficult to recommend much of the Colorado and Wyoming high country. Generally speaking though, any area with a good concentration of high mountain lakes will make for some fun fishing and exploring.

OP
S
High alpine areas completely devoid of Bighorn Sheep makes it fairly difficult to recommend much of the Colorado and Wyoming high country. Generally speaking though, any area with a good concentration of high mountain lakes will make for some fun fishing and exploring.

Yea I'd say we typically just avoid core bighorn sheep areas with the goats. Although domestic sheep are much more of a problem than vaccinated goats, we try to play it safe.