I Drank The Form Kool-Aid.

Where do these targets come from? I want to try that style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have access to a printer, save yourself some time/$$ by printing out your own targets. My go to for the last 6 or so years have been these ones:

Dobermann

WKR
@wind gypsy - thanks! I'd been meaning to download those from the Hide and had forgotten about them - legend!

@Savage99 - by coincidence, I was just looking back through some of Sam's videos today for something, and noticed that he'd used these Champion targets in a couple of vids. Not that that means anything particularly, but thought it might be of interest.

Here's one on load testing and evaluation (which might also be a little relevant for CJ):

If you go to Sam's 'videos' tab, you'll see those targets in a range of thumbnails.

Savage99

WKR
@wind gypsy - thanks! I'd been meaning to download those from the Hide and had forgotten about them - legend!

@Savage99 - by coincidence, I was just looking back through some of Sam's videos today for something, and noticed that he'd used these Champion targets in a couple of vids. Not that that means anything particularly, but thought it might be of interest.

Here's one on load testing and evaluation (which might also be a little relevant for CJ):

If you go to Sam's 'videos' tab, you'll see those targets in a range of thumbnails.

That’s exactly the place I saw them! I’m waiting on my account to get verified on the hide so I can print those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Update - 27 Aug 2020

On mobile again, so no decent formatting.

Wanted to post a cool find. A local dude happens to 3d print Tikka magazines. Picked this beauty up for $45 cdn shipped to my door. (8 round center feed.)

Should allow me to load heavyweight 223 bullets without issues now.

Hoping to get out to the range next week to test a few things out.

Carry on. IMG_20200827_1645538~2.jpgIMG_20200827_1636270.jpgIMG_20200827_1644563~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200827_1645538.jpg
    IMG_20200827_1645538.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 34
Update - 27 Aug 2020

On mobile again, so no decent formatting.

Wanted to post a cool find. A local dude happens to 3d print Tikka magazines. Picked this beauty up for $45 cdn shipped to my door. (8 round center feed.)

Should allow me to load heavyweight 223 bullets without issues now.

Hoping to get out to the range next week to test a few things out.

Carry on. View attachment 210712View attachment 210713View attachment 210714

That is sweet!

Does he happen to do them for LA cartridges? And what would the max COAL be if he does?

Ram94

WKR
That is sweet!

Does he happen to do them for LA cartridges? And what would the max COAL be if he does?

Yes he does. He also makes a medium length to accommodate hand loaded SA cartridges. When I talked to him, he would basically entertain anything you’re looking for. I picked up a 6 round LA for my 7mm-08 that I’ll use as my “spare shell holder”. Fit and finish isn’t 100% like a factory mag, but they function and they’re less than half the price of factory.

[email protected]

Yes he does. He also makes a medium length to accommodate hand loaded SA cartridges. When I talked to him, he would basically entertain anything you’re looking for. I picked up a 6 round LA for my 7mm-08 that I’ll use as my “spare shell holder”. Fit and finish isn’t 100% like a factory mag, but they function and they’re less than half the price of factory.

[email protected]

Very cool. Thanks for the tip. I'll be emailing him.

I'm giving my kids some Form koolaid. A 7mm08 superlite that I cut the stock short on and added 12 oz of bullets to the butt stock for some help with recoil on their tiny 85lb bodies.

They shot pretty darn well!

Attachments

• IMG_20200827_204859520.jpg
    IMG_20200827_204859520.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20200827_220821834.jpg
    IMG_20200827_220821834.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 94

slowelk

WKR
I'm giving my kids some Form koolaid. A 7mm08 superlite that I cut the stock short on and added 12 oz of bullets to the butt stock for some help with recoil on their tiny 85lb bodies.

They shot pretty darn well!

Wasn't this your project rifle that you were fighting to get to shoot?

Wasn't this your project rifle that you were fighting to get to shoot?

No this is actually a new gun. I got them a savage axis earlier this year that seemed to shoot ok for a bit and then I couldn't get it to shoot better than 2.5" anymore. Not even a 3 shot group. So I decided I wasn't going to screw with it and I got them a Tikka. Made sure to check the bolt lug contact in the store before buying (almost bought the compact model but the lug contact was no good).

You might be thinking of my Tikka .30-06? I put that gun into a Boyd's stock and bedded it, but it also shoots well. Not half moa all day, but it's consistent around 1.5"

Orrr.... Maybe you're thinking of another guy who somewhat recently had posted about his Tikka 7mm08. He was having trouble with it and I think it ended up being his bolt lugs not having even contact

Last edited:
OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Update - 04 Sep 20

Got to the range today. In summary, the Tikka with an SWFA is the Easy Button. Get one and don't look back.

Longer Version:

Went to the range, and got bore-sighted at 50m with Winchester whitebox 55gr stuff. Got that dialed in, and then went to 100m.

Started shooting 55gr Winchester 5 shot groups at 100m, just to get a general idea of things. I'd say 3moa groups appeared, with not a lot of consistency in the groups. In short, bulk Winchester white box is garbage ammo for this type of shooting.

Once I felt I was close, I shot the 75gr Hornady match ammo. This tighten things up a bunch, and the rifle was shooting easily 2moa for myself, and my friend (who is a better shot) had it doing 1moa.

We then tried my handloads. This was good and bad. I couldn't tell where they were hitting. Then I figured out the rounds were stacking in the same hole...

Unfortunately this is when the gods decided to screw with me. I guess my handloads were just a bit too long, and when I went to extract a round, the bullet stayed in the barrel, while the brass extracted, flinging powder everywhere.

And me, being an idiot, did not have a cleaning rod with me. In the past I've used a truck antenna for just this problem, but a .224 bore is too small for the ball-end of the antenna to fit.

So I was shut down for the day, just when it started getting interesting.

So no ten-shot groups, and no Form-style two-standing/two-kneeling/two-prone tests today. I'm really choked.

But the good news is this rig appears to shoot absolutely lights out. Will make another attempt at field shooting later this month.

Carry on. IMG_20200904_1442266.jpg

OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Random Problem - 04 Sep 20

One thing that came up during the range session today was I can't figure out how to make "zero stops" work.

I did Form's suggestion of 3/4" hose washers. Took the turret cap off, stuffed two washers into the top of the turret cap, and then put the cap on really really tight, and tightened the set-screws.

The trouble is that I still appear to have a very large amount of room to dial "past zero". More than a full revolution past zero. (I don't know how much further, cause I stopped counting.)

I know I'm doing something wrong here, but haven't figured out what.

Will post a solution when I figure it out.

Lawnboi

WKR

One thing that came up during the range session today was I can't figure out how to make "zero stops" work.

I did Form's suggestion of 3/4" hose washers. Took the turret cap off, stuffed two washers into the top of the turret cap, and then put the cap on really really tight, and tightened the set-screws.

The trouble is that I still appear to have a very large amount of room to dial "past zero". More than a full revolution past zero. (I don't know how much further, cause I stopped counting.)

Will post a solution when I figure it out.o

Will post a solution when I figure it out.

There is a guy over on snipers hide who makes shims for the scope. They work okay, look up Swfa zero shim kit. They are not needed though. Take a chunk of tape and write down what revolution you’re on When zerod.

Wrongside

WKR
There is a guy over on snipers hide who makes shims for the scope. They work okay, look up Swfa zero shim kit. They are not needed though. Take a chunk of tape and write down what revolution you’re on When zerod.
Last I checked, he won’t ship to Canada.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
So I drank a different flavor of the kool-aid. Snagged a Walmart Clearance Rem 700 ADL 223 with scope at $190. First order of business was to get rid of that scope and replace it with a SWFA 6x. The Rem 1-12 twist is not going to let me shoot the 75 or 77 grain bullets, but for now, I can do that with my AR. Ran some tests with Sierra 55 grain HPBTs and found a load that shoots under 1/2" using PP Varmint. Had to revert back to Form's instructions that he posted a while back to get that scope zeroed. Once I found that load, I installed the zero stop. Went to the range today and first shots were way low. Turns out that I must have miscounted the rotations and was a complete rotation off. Once I figured that out, I was back on target. Really impressed with that scope so far. Shot a group at 200 yards that just went over 1". Next trip will be some 10 round group tests out to 300 yards.

UUe71dq.jpg

Plan is to get a remage barrel in 1-8 and threaded for my suppressor sometime in the future, but I have a couple hundred of 55 grain bullets to use up first.

PNWGATOR

WKR
ebay.com/itm/Sportsmatch-TO84-30mm-suits-TIKKA-15mm-dovetails-early-Brno-15mm-eg-Model-2-/302359501564