I drew a Wyoming Mountain goat tag!! Any advice?

Best of luck, after the goat hunt I was on last year. It will hook you, best of luck, like others of stated, take the best/first opportunity you have at an adult. Very well could be your last. Cheers!

Bighorse

WKR
Congrats,

I will respectfully disagree with the any adult goat is a trophy sentiment. Find a Billy, you'll enjoy it.
I also disagree about the bear hunting thing, go up there steely eyed focused on a goat. You don't want to mix the two hunts. Your focus should be on white critters. Hunt bears other places and other times.

Work your glass early and late. Find where they like to feed, it's typically more gentle terrain conductive to harvest. Do not get needlessly excited and shoot a goat in a bad spot. So be prepared to sit out an animal for a very long time.

Be comfortable with rock scrambling.

Pace yourself so that your at a moments notice you're prepared for a sprint.

Bring a strong partner or two.

Great optics are super helpful.

Have fun enjoy playing in their bedroom.

Your scouting will be helpful in learning the effective an safe ways to move about the habitat, time well spent.

Fluty

FNG
I agree with concentrating on a goat. In my experience you probably will see mostly grizzly so having a bear tag isn’t going to be that useful. Also in the area you drew they are trying to get rid of all of the goats so if it’s white shoot it. I have heard of a few people also drawing that area so I think there will be plenty of competition.

OP
codyadams

codyadams

FNG
I think a couple of you are confused.....I don't plan on hunting bear up there at all, if I shoot a bear it is because it was trying to eat me. REALLY hope that doesn't happen ha ha

OP
codyadams

codyadams

FNG
Area 4 was not a good hunt. When I talked to the game warden and biologist later in the season, noone, including other species hunters and hikers, had even seen a goat in the entire area. I of course, saw nothing either. I heard through the grapevine, that someone may have harvested one at the end of season? Have not heard that from a gw or biologist though. Absolutely stunning country, so I wouldn't call it a complete waste, but the hunting was rather sad. Seems as though they have accomplished their goal of mostly eradicating mountain goats from the region.

I
Area 4 was not a good hunt. When I talked to the game warden and biologist later in the season, noone, including other species hunters and hikers, had even seen a goat in the entire area. I of course, saw nothing either. I heard through the grapevine, that someone may have harvested one at the end of season? Have not heard that from a gw or biologist though. Absolutely stunning country, so I wouldn't call it a complete waste, but the hunting was rather sad. Seems as though they have accomplished their goal of mostly eradicating mountain goats from the region.
had the same experience, gorgeous country though and great experience.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Phenomenal looking country!

Sorry it was such a bust in regards to punching your tag.

Bummer. Applied for this tag this year. There is a guy on these forums who sealed the deal in 4 though.

Maybe if I draw the tag we can link up so that I at least know where not to go.