I drew a Wyoming Mountain goat tag!! Any advice?

codyadams

FNG
First post here, long time member over on longrangehunting.com, but was directed here to try to contact someone about this hunt.....anyway, I am still in disbelief, but I checked the results today, and successful!!!

Area 4, the west side of the Grand Teton mountain range. I am a resident, so the guide requirement in wilderness area is not a concern. I know this area is slightly different than the others, and I am going to spend the next 3 months scouting it out. I plan on contacting the local biologist and game warden for any tips, but has anyone here hunted the area or know someone that has? Or anyone that has hiked the mountains? I know grizzlies will be a concern, but I have never hunted goats, nor that area.

So, anybody have any insight?

Congrats, pulled the tag myself. There’s a great game warden in that area. Reach out and I’ll let you know what I’ve learned if you’d like. Cheers.

OP
codyadams

codyadams

FNG
Congrats, pulled the tag myself. There’s a great game warden in that area. Reach out and I’ll let you know what I’ve learned if you’d like. Cheers.
Ok, I would p.m. you but I am new on this forum, I don't think I have the option until I get a few posts, so I will message you as soon as I can. I contacted the biologist yesterday, she was helpful. Sounds like I won't be able to get up in to scout the area until about mid to late June

OP
codyadams

codyadams

FNG
If you would be willing to text me, my number is (3 0seven) 7 four seven - 5 0 nine five.

Ok I just drew the 3-1 tag and so I’m extremely interested in this thread. I’ve already reached out to an outfitter but is it doable DIY?

I have all the gear as I live here in WY already but don’t know if $8500 is going to happen for the outfitter. I need horses and time to scout really.
Advice, thoughts, outfitter opinions?

for the both of us. I’m not hijacking this thread at all.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide Cody! It’s good to see you here and I’m THRILLED you pulled this goat permit! Excited for you buddy!

OP
codyadams

codyadams

FNG
Welcome to Rokslide Cody! It’s good to see you here and I’m THRILLED you pulled this goat permit! Excited for you buddy!
Thanks man!! I figured this would be at least as good/better resource for this hunt than LRH, so I came on over. My brother in law mentioned to me to possibly hire someone and go fly the mountain around the end of July to get an idea where they are, I might look into that....not sure yet

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Read a book, “A Beast The Color of Winter”, get into high altitude shape, learn to judge big billies, and scout. You’ll get one. Be careful; goat hunting was my most dangerous outdoor experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I just drew the 3-1 tag and so I’m extremely interested in this thread. I’ve already reached out to an outfitter but is it doable DIY?

I have all the gear as I live here in WY already but don’t know if $8500 is going to happen for the outfitter. I need horses and time to scout really.

A guy I work with last year killed a goat up there. He’s older and went with an outfitter but send me a PM and I’d be happy to get you some details. I had a sheep tag in 2018 in the northern part of this unit as well but I didn’t see many goats in the areas I was in. There were one or two places I ran into them but not consistently

hikenhunt

WKR
Read a book, “A Beast The Color of Winter”, get into high altitude shape, learn to judge big billies, and scout. You’ll get one. Be careful; goat hunting was my most dangerous outdoor experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is great advice and a great book!

OP
codyadams

codyadams

FNG
I wouldn't be to worried about judging big billies. I would be instantly killing any adult goat I found that was outside the park. This hunt is going to likely be damn tuff.
This is what I have been hearing, and I am in no way concerned about judging goats with this hunt. If it's not a kid goat, I'm shooting it.....

OP
codyadams

codyadams

FNG
A guy I work with last year killed a goat up there. He’s older and went with an outfitter but send me a PM and I’d be happy to get you some details. I had a sheep tag in 2018 in the northern part of this unit as well but I didn’t see many goats in the areas I was in. There were one or two places I ran into them but not consistently
Ok, a couple more messages/days and I can send p.m.'s, I'll contact you for sure. Thank you!

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, a couple more messages/days and I can send p.m.'s, I'll contact you for sure. Thank you!
Sorry, I should have been more clear in my post. I was responding to the comment about area 3, I’m not familiar with 4 at all

Fluty

FNG

I have also drawn the 3-1 tag this year in Wyoming. I live near the area and plan on doing tons of scouting this summer and have already talked to tons of people who spend lots of time in the high country in our unit. Once the snow gives better access and allows scouting hopefully we can do some information exchange and help each other out. Also any input from anyone else would be extremely helpful.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I also drew a 3-1 this year. My hunting partner has family in the area and folks seem to be excited to share information. I think I'm too new to send PMs but would be glad to share info and be in touch with anyone hunting there this year. Best of luck and skill to all.