I drew CA X3b zone - where to go?

Finally after 4 years I drew X3b here in California. With work and family responsibilities always getting in the way of my hunting, I won’t be able to scout.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to go? I’m fit as can be and ready to put in 10-15 miles a day if I need to.

Pro953

WKR
Hi Daniel,

Where are you coming from and what zones do you usually hunt.

Plan on camping out or running a base camp.

How much time will you be able to put in on the hunt? Weekends only or can you take the full week off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
I’m coming from central CA (Santa Cruz) and typically hunt a zone (near Mendocino) d3-5 near Lake Tahoe in the mountains.

I’m planning on packing in a ways and staying in a backcountry camp. I’ll be there one day prior to opening day until that following wednesday or Thursday.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted this zone 2 years ago and was in a similar situation I was about 6-8 hours away from the zone so was unable to scout and it was a tough hunt! The mountain lions have done a lot of damage in that area. I talked to a guy that had the tag last year who seen more
Mountain lions the first 4 days of the hunt than they did deer! And he knows the unit much more than I do

I’ll send you a pm with more detailed info as I don’t remember some of the names off hand and have to check my notes. that I learned about the area that should help you out.. it’s beatiful Country tho.

OP
D
I’ve heard about the mountain lion problem out there.

I really appreciate your help!

amassi

WKR
Fun zone, really big zone with a ton of road hunters
Lots of the backcountry has no or low low deer #s. The areas that hold deer might take more than 5 days to pattern.
With no experience in the area or time to scout you might be better served looking elsewhere. There are many areas outside of the wilderness with much higher deer populations and buck:doe ratios.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ehayes

FNG
How did your hunt go last year Daniellaggner? I am planning on heading up there this year. I will be with my friend whose family has hunted there. They have a place in the southern part of the unit they like to road hunt, but I am looking at other options for backpacking in to the mountains. The northeast looks like it is off trail, pretty rugged with some deep canyons holes for deer to hide in. Thanks for any info.