I drew region G with 0 points and don't know anything

OP
[insertspecies]Slayer
Yeah I have a few spots thought of. But let me tell you driving along the greys river and looking up is so surreal. You can barely see the tops of the mountains if at all. And some how I never realized there's a full blown airport and mansion being built the middle of the valley.
Because I just checked on google Earth Pro it isn't even there. I thought I was losing my mind a little bit

Yeah I have a few spots thought of. But let me tell you driving along the greys river and looking up is so surreal. You can barely see the tops of the mountains if at all. And some how I never realized there's a full blown airport and mansion being built the middle of the valley.
The tops of the mountains you’re seeing… those are not the tops! 😳

OP
[insertspecies]Slayer
Update to the hunt: me and my dad went up just this past opening weekend to get a feel for how it would be, and it was actually pretty eventful.

We got there late thursday night and camped at the trail head, then backpacked in friday morning. We weren't exactly going far, but we still saw moose, deer, and some nice bull elk on the way up. No bucks though, and the weather wasn't exactly great and we lost a lot of glassing opportunity, so made camp in the afternoon. That evening with clearer skies me and my dad split ridges and went to glass- elk were going crazy below me and my dad (different elk). Saw plenty of deer far away, but no buck that I could notice. The next morning we wake up, and my dad goes not 300 yards from camp, while I kind of went down a ridge finger to maybe catch some deer out feeding. After seeing just the same does we saw last night, we head back to camp and we meet our new friend. A pretty small bear had gotten into our food ( we hung it the night before but just left it on a tree when we left camp in the morning, clearly a mistake).

This thing tries to come up to us, so we kind of try to scare it and it climbed up a tree, so my dad sprayed it. It didn't like that and finally went off. So after that we decide to head to a different area my dads relative of a friend something something who lives up there told us about. We meet some elk hunters at the trail head, resident and non resident, they're super nice, tell us they've seen some bucks up there, and we head our separate ways up the mountain. Me and my dad accidently get off the beaten trail and our bush wacking and after a while we decide we need to turn around, and we find a trail that takes us back to where we took the wrong turn. From there we're headed up when we meet 2 more guys packing out a great? good 4 point they just shot up there. They said there was still some bucks up there. Unfortunately due to our detour we don't have time to hunt the evening so we just camp and wake up nice and early sunday. We leave camp and head up the mountain even more and it's rather uneventful. My dad said he saw a big black bear and an elk, while I saw, granted the biggest 2 point I'll probably ever see, at the very almost tippy top of the mountain. It was still a 2 point, and I had school monday, so we decide to just pack up and head down. Also at least 3 deer were killed where we just were, which could explain why the basin seemed so empty.

There's also a small chance the 2 point might've been bigger then I thought since a screw for one of the tripod legs fell out and using a spotter on top of a backpack to look up 1200 vertical feet isn't easy. But regardless the hunt was super fun. I, of course, have been asking my dad to go back up, we made plans for that last week in September, but my dad took an absolute beating up there and is also pretty bad at making up his mind. For anyone wondering, he ended up turning his Utah bull elk tag back in. And me and him went in and bought a 300 win mag.

It's been super fun hunting in Wyoming, especially with a tag I might not ever get again. And it seems this year has been better then the last few in terms of buck quality. Hopefully I can get back up there and kill a BOAL (before any of you nasty WKR steal it)
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...839810&th=1835c2fc34d4bdc2&view=att&disp=safe
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...839810&th=1835c2fc34d4bdc2&view=att&disp=safe

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 108

Laramie

WKR
Update to the hunt: me and my dad went up just this past opening weekend to get a feel for how it would be, and it was actually pretty eventful.

We got there late thursday night and camped at the trail head, then backpacked in friday morning. We weren't exactly going far, but we still saw moose, deer, and some nice bull elk on the way up. No bucks though, and the weather wasn't exactly great and we lost a lot of glassing opportunity, so made camp in the afternoon. That evening with clearer skies me and my dad split ridges and went to glass- elk were going crazy below me and my dad (different elk). Saw plenty of deer far away, but no buck that I could notice. The next morning we wake up, and my dad goes not 300 yards from camp, while I kind of went down a ridge finger to maybe catch some deer out feeding. After seeing just the same does we saw last night, we head back to camp and we meet our new friend. A pretty small bear had gotten into our food ( we hung it the night before but just left it on a tree when we left camp in the morning, clearly a mistake).

This thing tries to come up to us, so we kind of try to scare it and it climbed up a tree, so my dad sprayed it. It didn't like that and finally went off. So after that we decide to head to a different area my dads relative of a friend something something who lives up there told us about. We meet some elk hunters at the trail head, resident and non resident, they're super nice, tell us they've seen some bucks up there, and we head our separate ways up the mountain. Me and my dad accidently get off the beaten trail and our bush wacking and after a while we decide we need to turn around, and we find a trail that takes us back to where we took the wrong turn. From there we're headed up when we meet 2 more guys packing out a great? good 4 point they just shot up there. They said there was still some bucks up there. Unfortunately due to our detour we don't have time to hunt the evening so we just camp and wake up nice and early sunday. We leave camp and head up the mountain even more and it's rather uneventful. My dad said he saw a big black bear and an elk, while I saw, granted the biggest 2 point I'll probably ever see, at the very almost tippy top of the mountain. It was still a 2 point, and I had school monday, so we decide to just pack up and head down. Also at least 3 deer were killed where we just were, which could explain why the basin seemed so empty.

There's also a small chance the 2 point might've been bigger then I thought since a screw for one of the tripod legs fell out and using a spotter on top of a backpack to look up 1200 vertical feet isn't easy. But regardless the hunt was super fun. I, of course, have been asking my dad to go back up, we made plans for that last week in September, but my dad took an absolute beating up there and is also pretty bad at making up his mind. For anyone wondering, he ended up turning his Utah bull elk tag back in. And me and him went in and bought a 300 win mag.

It's been super fun hunting in Wyoming, especially with a tag I might not ever get again. And it seems this year has been better then the last few in terms of buck quality. Hopefully I can get back up there and kill a BOAL (before any of you nasty WKR steal it)
Appreciate the report! Sounds like you are having fun. Make sure you thank your dad for giving up his tag for you. That would be hard for some people to do.

Look forward to hearing more reports from the mountain!

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the report and best of luck with the hunt moving forward. This gets my vote for "comeback thread of the season." (y)

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
The truth! It rubs everybody wrong when they step in and help someone and then we never hear from them again.
Truth. Thanks so much for the report. I just stumbled onto this thread today and your follow-up is good. Keep them coming and good luck!

bgipson

FNG
Well fellas, there's 1 less buck running around Region G after our hunt yesterday. Good news is that he was only 5 miles in and had plenty of friends (albeit much smaller). Finally was able to get my buddy up the mountain with me after years of life (deployments, work, etc.) getting in the way and it paid off big for him with this stud. My dad and brother will be getting here in a few days from out of state and we'll be after them again.
20220920_113552.jpg

OP
[insertspecies]Slayer
Just got back from a trip on the mountain. I ended missing a buck (see attached) Wednesday night, at 185... 5 times. It was off my knee and the first shot I think was high, and after that I just started shooting with adrenaline pumping. Thursday and Friday were pretty dull, just sitting on top of the mountain and glassing. What I think was an outfitter passed us into where we were hunting from basecamp Thursday morning before we made it up, and between that and the shots that I think that's why we didn't see much. Trying to not be over specific on what happened since it ain't my spot to tell, but I guess if you heard those shots that was me.

It's been really fun hunting up in Region G, something I'll probably never do again with the way point creep is going, plus there's a different place I want to hunt that my family has hunted a lot before. I never actually planned to draw G, I just put in cause I heard there was big deer there haha. It's gonna be hard convincing my dad to go up again since he's old and kinda took a beating up there sleeping in a tent.

One thing me and my dad couldn't stop talking about was the country. It really is super pretty, and different to what we have in Utah for sure. When those mountains get covered in clouds and snow and sunsets and rain, it is the prettiest thing you'll ever see. Haven't quite decided if it's a heaven or hell though. I have some fantastic pictures that I'd share but it's pretty easy to tell where I am, so like I said I'll restrain that. I'm sure most you guys know what I'm talking about and were probably up there this week.

My dad looked under a rock and found a 303 British casing- I don't know how long it had been there but the round itself is pretty dang old (1889). It was in a crazy spot up on the mountain near the top and I had meant to put it in my pocket when we were done glassing but forgot. I figured not to many guys use that round so if you do, shoot me a pm and it might be your grand-dad's long lost casing of the bullet he shot his 250" with. Lol.

I learned some major things this hunt, and I'm gonna list em out:
-After opening weekend the mountain is quite dead, compared to the 20 horse trailers opening weekend to the 0 of late. Of course, less deer.
-There really is big deer everywhere, and after the opener they seem to like the thick pines more then peaks. And going off the previous there still are big deer later in the season, as I saw this morning on someone's horse.
-The weather report is a lie, expect rain, rain, and more rain
-Don't miss, simple as that
- This one come's from my dad and I think it's hilarious, "Never ask a guy with horses for hunting spots."

Season ain't over, so I think I might just be able to drag my dad or maybe my brother into 135. I just missed so one of you guys can kill that deer next year when he's bigger, as a thank you. My target buck has been in 135 this whole time, I just haven't told anyone. My hunting spots are so secret, not even the deer know about em.

Attachments

• image0 (4).jpeg
    image0 (4).jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 288
  • image3 (2).jpeg
    image3 (2).jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 291
  • image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 290

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just got back from a trip on the mountain. I ended missing a buck (see attached) Wednesday night, at 185... 5 times. It was off my knee and the first shot I think was high, and after that I just started shooting with adrenaline pumping. Thursday and Friday were pretty dull, just sitting on top of the mountain and glassing. What I think was an outfitter passed us into where we were hunting from basecamp Thursday morning before we made it up, and between that and the shots that I think that's why we didn't see much. Trying to not be over specific on what happened since it ain't my spot to tell, but I guess if you heard those shots that was me.

It's been really fun hunting up in Region G, something I'll probably never do again with the way point creep is going, plus there's a different place I want to hunt that my family has hunted a lot before. I never actually planned to draw G, I just put in cause I heard there was big deer there haha. It's gonna be hard convincing my dad to go up again since he's old and kinda took a beating up there sleeping in a tent.

One thing me and my dad couldn't stop talking about was the country. It really is super pretty, and different to what we have in Utah for sure. When those mountains get covered in clouds and snow and sunsets and rain, it is the prettiest thing you'll ever see. Haven't quite decided if it's a heaven or hell though. I have some fantastic pictures that I'd share but it's pretty easy to tell where I am, so like I said I'll restrain that. I'm sure most you guys know what I'm talking about and were probably up there this week.

My dad looked under a rock and found a 303 British casing- I don't know how long it had been there but the round itself is pretty dang old (1889). It was in a crazy spot up on the mountain near the top and I had meant to put it in my pocket when we were done glassing but forgot. I figured not to many guys use that round so if you do, shoot me a pm and it might be your grand-dad's long lost casing of the bullet he shot his 250" with. Lol.

I learned some major things this hunt, and I'm gonna list em out:
-After opening weekend the mountain is quite dead, compared to the 20 horse trailers opening weekend to the 0 of late. Of course, less deer.
-There really is big deer everywhere, and after the opener they seem to like the thick pines more then peaks. And going off the previous there still are big deer later in the season, as I saw this morning on someone's horse.
-The weather report is a lie, expect rain, rain, and more rain
-Don't miss, simple as that
- This one come's from my dad and I think it's hilarious, "Never ask a guy with horses for hunting spots."

Season ain't over, so I think I might just be able to drag my dad or maybe my brother into 135. I just missed so one of you guys can kill that deer next year when he's bigger, as a thank you. My target buck has been in 135 this whole time, I just haven't told anyone. My hunting spots are so secret, not even the deer know about em.
Missing sucks, it sucks even more when you have an audience. One of my first mule deer hunts, was an over crowded army base in Co. I was pretty bummed and walking back to the truck when a solid 4x4 appears on the ridge above me 100 yards away. I lose my mind and put 4 down the pipe quick, he trots off back in the the oak brush and I notice 4 other hunters behind me watching… haha oh man not a great feeling. Keep your chin up. It did teach me to take my time and find a solid rest, a tree, log, your pack, or prone, I always carry some trigger sticks with me now.