I drew Wyoming elk! Unit 22!

Maverick1

Hey, guys, I’m pretty excited. I just checked the WY fish and game website to see that I drew an elk tag in unit 22. As a NR hunter that burned all of my (max) preference points for the tax, this will truly be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt for me. So, to say that I am looking forward to this hunt is an understatement.

I’m planning to go with the bow for 2-3 weeks in September.

If anyone has been in unit 22 in Wyoming, I’d appreciate some insight more around water, trail heads, or general hunting information for elk in the unit.

I would really appreciate your help, either with a post on this thread or sending me a PM.

Thanks!

alaska_bou

According to the G&F, about 40% of the herd that occupies areas 22 and 111 lives in the Haystack Mts that is essentially inaccessable due to the checkerboarded land. You won't have any issue finding public land bulls in 22 but the quality of elk (and deer) has been negatively affected with the very dry conditions the past few years.

rcalmus

Congrats on the pull man!

I know what odds are with what you had going in. I pulled last year. Did you go special draw?

Awesome unit! If you are looking for a chance to hunt and watch some of the most unpressured elk around; I think you have found it! I had the opportunity to hunt it in several styles and "seasons". Unfortunately and fortunately I was else where most of sept helping my dad on an archery only tag that is almost as special as what you drew, but I figured mine was technically a rifle tag and didn't want him to "settle for less".

For anyone watching this on the fence if they should keep applying their max points in 22 instead of some of the other non wilderness max points units. Personally I would say keep at it! During my process of burning these points I scouted and applied to several other max units and am happy with my choice.

Anywho, as you can see I don't spend much time on the forum posting and can't seem to find the magic button to send you a PM. haha :( That being said my buddy who sent me this thread and hunted with me, will help his struggle bus friend get you my number!

Looking forward to helping you on your awesome tag!

OP
M

Maverick1

Congrats on the pull man!

I know what odds are with what you had going in. I pulled last year. Did you go special draw?

Awesome unit! If you are looking for a chance to hunt and watch some of the most unpressured elk around; I think you have found it! I had the opportunity to hunt it in several styles and "seasons". Unfortunately and fortunately I was else where most of sept helping my dad on an archery only tag that is almost as special as what you drew, but I figured mine was technically a rifle tag and didn't want him to "settle for less".

For anyone watching this on the fence if they should keep applying their max points in 22 instead of some of the other non wilderness max points units. Personally I would say keep at it! During my process of burning these points I scouted and applied to several other max units and am happy with my choice.

Anywho, as you can see I don't spend much time on the forum posting and can't seem to find the magic button to send you a PM. haha :( That being said my buddy who sent me this thread and hunted with me, will help his struggle bus friend get you my number!

Looking forward to helping you on your awesome tag!
Thanks! Looking forward to getting in contact. I will send you a PM.

123 4/8 P&Y

According to the G&F, about 40% of the herd that occupies areas 22 and 111 lives in the Haystack Mts that is essentially inaccessable due to the checkerboarded land. You won't have any issue finding public land bulls in 22 but the quality of elk (and deer) has been negatively affected with the very dry conditions the past few years.

Wow I bet you are fun to hunt with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk