I fixed my InReach

dlee56

WKR
This weekend I went to fire up my InReach Explorer+ and it just acted dead. I plugged it in for a few hours but no response, not even a light flicker.

I spoke with a Garmin tech and he walked me thru all the different reset operations with no response, the guy apologized and since it is out of warranty all he could offer me was a referb model for $230.

Since I figured it was a lost cause I took the housing apart, disconnected the battery from the motherboard and tried to reset it again, and this time I got a green light flash! I reconnected the battery and did the reset again and it worked, something about disconnecting the battery seemed to jog the system and help the restart.

Posting in case anyone else has had this same issues, hope this helps someone out.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Thanks for your post dlee56.

This could be very helpful as many of us have a Garmin satellite device.

A little surprised Garmin TS did not suggest this, but maybe they have an over supply of refurb units in stock. ;)

Eddie

I doubt the guys on the phone would ever advocate for someone to be doing disassembly of an electronic device. Always potential for bad things to happen there, either injuring the user or permanently damaging the unit.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
I doubt the guys on the phone would ever advocate for someone to be doing disassembly of an electronic device. Always potential for bad things to happen there, either injuring the user or permanently damaging the unit.
Definitely, I was already prepared to buy a new one or else I wouldn't have gone there.

I will have to try it out. I have a inreach mini that had a short battery life. The tech advocated for a firmware update, but the mini wouldn't connect to my computer. So the tech had me try a reset. Initiating the reset killed the mini. Won't power on at all. Garmin said it is out of warranty and I'll have to buy a replacement. The thing has 4 months of activation in 2 years. So basically brand new. I hope tearing into will work for me. I will check back soon when I get around to doing it.

OP
dlee56

dlee56

WKR
I will have to try it out. I have a inreach mini that had a short battery life. The tech advocated for a firmware update, but the mini wouldn't connect to my computer. So the tech had me try a reset. Initiating the reset killed the mini. Won't power on at all. Garmin said it is out of warranty and I'll have to buy a replacement. The thing has 4 months of activation in 2 years. So basically brand new. I hope tearing into will work for me. I will check back soon when I get around to doing it.
Good luck man hope it works for you

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Good tip. I’ve had two inreach die. Garmin CS leaves much to be desired.
I’ve been hoping the iPhone satellite messaging would come along, but just seems like rumors at this point other than SOS function.