I found my first scope in the basement last night...

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure if this is even interesting, but sometimes you find something and it brings back all of the feelings you had when you first got interested/addicted to a hobby.

I remember being ~8 years old and went to a yard sale with my grandparents. I saw this scope and asked if I could have it. A 4x15 Tasco! My grandparents weren't rich and getting something that was more than a dollar was a big deal. I think it was $5.00. My grandpa gave me the OK and the five bucks and he instantly signed up to be my squirrel hunting partner.

My dad let me put this on a 22 mag, and being poor I think he knew it was going to be "expensive" to shoot a lot so he got a 10/22 off of my uncle (probably for free) and I was all set. I shot so much 22lr out of that thing with that cheap Tasco. Squirrels, woodchucks, racoons, chipmunks, it didn't matter.

I guess the point of my story is it's funny how excited I was for that scope and how much fun I had for many years with a 22lr and that cheap scope. Honestly I'm still chasing that feeling of excitement of getting new shooting gear and my credit card bill is the proof.

Attachments

• IMG_20200329_182952.jpg
    IMG_20200329_182952.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 54

Millerish

FNG
Brings back memories, not all of them good. Had one just like it on a single shot Remington that fogged up. As a motivated young man I tore it apart and cleaned it, unfortunately I broke the crosshairs. I made my own with ultrafine fiber, looked great while installing. When I put scope back together the crosshairs were about 10 times size of original and as crooked as the Mississippi river. The crosshairs were not centered but in the lower left quadrant. All of these years later, scope is still on the rifle and still killing squirrels!

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
Cool reminder that if you really just want to hunt, it doesn't take top end gear.