I got to quit smoking

Yaremkiv

FNG
Smoked a pack+ a day since I was 16, 10 years worth of burning money, smelling like burnt ass and shitting on my health. Dec. 15 or so, 2018. I told myself..... come Jan. 1. Turn of the year, no matter what. No matter how much it hurts. No matter how bad I want it, I'm done with this nonsense. Smoked like a chimney right up till the New Years fireworks and dumped the rest of the pack in the trash. In the coming weeks and months, I experienced great health improvements aswell as great withdrawl symptoms. Lungs felt like I was 14 again, couldn't stop sweating though. Blood pressure and heart rate went down, no more weird scary chest pains but I couldnt sleep a full night for a long while, a year after kicking the habit you'll feel like superman. Most importantly you gotta go cold turkey, otherwise you're just prolonging the withdrawl symptoms. So unless you like sweating your butt off, losing sleep, craving that cancer stick, being anxious, easily bothered etc. Just call it and quit all at once. The withdrawls will be gone before you know it. Good luck and GOD bless you. I couldn't have done it without GOD truly freeing me from this addiction. If it werent for HIM I'd still be craving, or using nicotine patches or chewing gum or something stupid like that.

rookhawk

FNG
Those ON and Velo nicotine pouches are great for quitting tobacco. They are non-carcinogenic and they contain no tobacco so in many states they are VERY affordable compared to things like cigarettes or snuff.

They come in 8mg, 4mg, and 2mg potency so you can throttle down your dependency over time. They also don’t require you to spit whatsoever. I know several people that have had good luck with them. I wouldn’t make a statement online on what substances I do or do not use myself because someday that will be a record for medical or insurability reasons.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
Cold turkey, nicotine patch's at first. Don't make something else a habit trying to quit. Remind yourself that is going to be better for you and also remember that you'll probably be a little cranky so be cool with the wife and kids.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I smoked from ages 13 to 28. "Quit" countless times throughout, although I always was lured back in with something such as: "oh, I'll just have a smoke while drinking with friends." The only thing that was effective for longer than a month has been Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking. Read the book in two sittings and smoked my last cigarette ever at the end of the book. I have never looked back. I have never wanted to smoke another cigarette or have nicotine ever again. Since quitting I've had nightmares that I smoked a cigarette again. Sometimes when I drink too much and don't remember, I'll wake up and smell my fingers worrying that I smoked and don't remember it. Needless to say, I drank the book's cool-aide... but I'm okay with that.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
Baby steps can be effective if cold turkey doesn't work for you.

The nicotine is the addictive part. One effective baby step is to switch to a nicotine vape. Yes, vaping isn't the best for you either, but it's better than all the tar and smoke. Next is the patch / gum. Then finally done.

Quitting anything is never a one time decision. You have to make the decision every day for the rest of your life. There's a 'clone' inside you who wants to smoke. You don't want to smoke. You need to defeat your clone everyday.

My wife quit a number of decades ago by going to a quit class. The first week they had to keep a log on when they smoked and how much they spent. The class cost a months worth of cigarettes. The second week they could smoke but not at their habitual times. This was to break the habit. If it meant not having a beer and a cigarette, she skipped the beer and the cigarette. Once habits were adressed then they started cutting back. Each week they smoked less until they quit. They continued to keep a log of when and how much.

I urged her to smoke outside for the sake of the kids and the dogs nose. At the end of a couple months it was easier to just walk away. For a number of years she still had to avoid those situations where she had smoked a cigarette. We avoided parties and gatherings especially where there were other smokers. It took about 10 years to get past the cravings.

Keep spending the money you were spending on the habit but put it into a savings account where you can watch it grow and spend it on things you both enjoy.

so here is what I have to add. I quit with Chantix. I had crazy azz dreams as others have mentioned but it help me quit. Although I fell back off the wagon for a time a few years later. My advice to add to what has been mentioned already. 1. Plan ahead. Why do you want to quit. Write it down and go into detail. Your WHY will become important later, if youre pacing the floor and chewing on your fingers, read those words and remind yourself to suck it up and those feelings will eventually pass. 2. Change your lifestyle at the same time. Excercise helped me kick cravings the most and I started running alot. I set goals, and started running trail races as milestones. Also you're going to need to hang out somewhere else. The group of co-workers or who ever you hang out with that smokes will absolutely derail your goals to be healthier and free from the Nicotine. At least for a while. Now when I smell a cigarette I find it repulsive, but in the beginning it would make my heart start beating faster and made for the worlds worst nic fit! I did relapse for a time, and that was while I was at work where there were a lot of smokers and the smoke was around all the time. I was at a low spot emotionally coping with the loss of my father and started smoking one here and there, which became 5-8 per day. I started using a nicotine pouch to get off them again. So now I have to quit those now too! Good luck to you.

TheGDog

WKR
Another thought? Do the math and figure out how much you're currently spending in a year on cigarettes... and think about what you COULD get yourself that's hunting-related with all that money!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I will probably get all kinds of responses from this but I felt it was good to hear another side.

I quit Cigs back in 2013 from a Lung Accident when I was spraying some gear waterproofing spray in an open garage. It put me in the hospital for a week. after that I quit smoking Cigs. I did it by moving to Ecig. Much safer option as your still getting the nicotine. My lungs cleared up within 6 months and I could not believe how bad Cigs cut my breathing down. If you fight with quitting and enjoy still having a habit Ecig maybe the way to go. The key to keep Ecigs safe is to get E-Liquids without the flavor added. As the flavors are what make the Ecigs bad for you. They have alot of chemicals in the flavors which is why you hear all the studies saying its just as bad as smoking. My Ejuice I use has has 3 ingredients
VEGETABLE GLYCERIN (VG)
Propylene Glycol (PG)
NICOTINE 12 Mg

Your best bet is to kick the habit all together but if your like me and enjoy but want it to be safe. This maybe an alternative

Stay away from store bought stuff its all junk I order all of my stuff online from quality vendors who are known in the business and regulated.

MT-Native

FNG
Quit Copenhagen 32 days ago after chewing 24 years. Prayer and focus on mind over matter has helped me succeed. Also, in the challenging times I have to stay busy to avoid the temptations to go back to the can. Weights, speed/heavy bag, hiking, running splitting wood, basically anything to keep moving and drive that crazy nervous energy out. This helps me to keep it under control and not being a complete @$$ to my wife, kids or team at work. Everyone is different, but this is working for me.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
I remember when I tried to quit smoking 2 years ago it was so hard for me. I kept going back again and again. I even tried all the replacements so that I could get rid of it. And I was so happy when I didn't smoke for the whole two months just because I was determined to quit and I was consistent. Some friends helped me a lot too.