I got to quit smoking

madeleine

FNG
I quit one year + one month ago, after 15 years of pack/day smoking Marlboro reds. I miss smoking every minute of every day. But I started training MMA, and found fighting to be the best workout and the most fun I'd had in ages, and completely incompatible with smoking. If I couldn't breathe, I was slow and getting hooked in the liver or teeped in the face. You gotta find some cardio thing you love, even just a little more than smoking. I've always been into backpacking and climbing mountains and smoking never stopped me. I loved my summit smokes, but now it is all sooooooooo much easier.

I used the gum! Walgreens brand! Good luck

PaHunter86

Lil-Rokslider
I quit 4yrs ago. I was a pack to 2 packs a day. I quit when my youngest daughter came up and wouldn't give me a hug or kiss bc of the smell. Well that did it. I used a patch at first. It was hard but worth it. Now I cant stand the smell of cigarettes. I from time to time while fishind smoke a cigar but even that makes me sick from time to time.

timr00ger

FNG
I smoked from age 16-23 (not that long, but still). Quitting was hard, but I am so grateful I did. I am 32 now and so happy to be smoke free. You got this!

Greenbar

FNG
I personally had a blood pressure scare in my early 30’s. Decided to quit chewing tobacco and clean up the diet all at once. I did my best to substitute exercise as much as possible to provide both mental and physical stimulation. Also used fake, non tobacco snuff to get me through some
Of the tempting times. Seems to have worked. Been off the stuff 3 years now. Feel much better now, more energy, and healthier blood pressure. My body thanks me.

TheGDog

WKR
A dirty little secret of hospice is it is veiled assisted suicide. the doc will give you as much morphine as he can justify to end things quietly. Usually takes a day or two depending on what shape you are in when you arrive.

At 17yo got hit by a car while on my moto. I don't remember it... like at all.. thankfully had a bitchin' helmet on though. When they attempted to set a bone in my foot... they had to shoot some morphine in the IV line they'd already established onto back of my hand.

It felt exactly like this... Like you are laying in a bath of warm water, and somebody pours a pitcher-full of colder water into it.. and you feel that colder water spread out and encapsulate your body for a second.... and then... seconds after that... you're like... phew...ok... go ahead and try to set the bone now.

TheGDog

WKR
P.S. I sooo feel you on the scarring in the lungs thing. Parents smoke when we were growing up, then Moms remarried, and they smoked even more. They'd have adults over and we'd all be in the dinner table area and the smoke would fill-in from the ceiling downward... whenever anyone got up to leave the room for a second... it would cut a wake thru all the smoke! Alos that house was in Carson near 213th and Wilmington Ave. in-between the Mobil Refinery closeby... and the Wilmington refinery near to the 405 fwy.

On rainy days.. they'd crank up the burning stacks because they knew the rain would bring it right back down and so the AQMD laser spectrometers wouldn't be able to measure it right. Never forget this one day my mom swipes her finger across the trunk of the white Olds Cutlass and you can see the path thru the soot it cleared away! Plus Carson doesn't have the best air-quality cause it doesn't get like the on-shore airflows like I do now living 4mi from Pacific Coast.

Have had bouts with stubborn Bronchitis here and there over the years. And then OMG when CovID EFF'd me up for 2 months straight from Feb to April 2020. That isht was harsh as fizzuck!! All the coughing man... was like Mike Tyson had ya up against the ropes and was way-laying on your ribs! Was gurgling on inhale, exhale and even while sleeping. Finally started to pull out of it by the time these idiots called the first lockdown.

I'm still jacked up on the lower lumbar discs from all the inflammation it caused exacerbating some prior Traumas from Dirtbike/MTB/BMX crashes hammering that area. Got an MRI and have like 3mm, 4mm, and 5mm encroachment into the foramin space where the spinal column runs thru 'em. LImpin' along rt now with Tylenol w/ Codeine. Figure after Income Tax gets paid, finally schedule up with an Ortho doc my friend this BodyBuilder hooked up with. He was only down for like 2mo and he's doin straight now, so you know how that is, you wanna go with a known player that's had successes.

Last edited:

G&R

FNG
Smoked for fourty years started taking champix and haven't had a cigarette in 10 months now, still have odd craving once in awhile but I just think about something else or go do something and I forget about it. I keep a full pack of cigarette 's on the shelf just in case, but I never opened them, once in awhile I look but I don't touch. Lol. Good luck to you

Rw1981

FNG
Good luck with quitting, it can be done. I quiet almost 8 years ago and is the best decision of my life. I couldn't stand that little thing having so much control over my life

I chewed Copenhagen for 32 years.... quitting numerous times.
After the birth of my son and death of my Father, I decided it was my time to quit. With the help of Chantix, it had never been so EASY!!! Wished I would have done sooner. Been 5 years tobacco free Jan 5, 2021!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Started smoking at about 16 years old. Quit for a couple years in my early 20's. Smoked till I was in my mid 50's. 1-1.5 packs a day. Finished my last cigarette as I pulled into the hospital after having a heart attack. That was 11years ago. Both times I quit I did it cold turkey. Sucks for first week or two but does get better. My worst times were after a meal or driving. Good luck. Just make up your mind and do it.

MTThrower

FNG
One thing I don't see mentioned enough is counseling or therapy. Can be used in combo with meds that have been mentioned or alone. Working to figure out triggers, paired behaviors, events/places that put you at risk to relapse, coping tools to "ride the wave" of cravings, substitutes for when the urge is strong (gum, non-tobacco nicotine-replacement) are all super helpful. Most helpful is figuring out what you values and whether your substance use is leading you to behave in a way that opposes their own values or hurts the people/things they value. We all kinda know these things at their surface like smoking makes hars charging hikes in the mountains harder and you feel shitty. But when you make the connections to what else it's costing you, it can really address the ambivalence about quitting.

I smoked 1- 2 packs a day for over 20 years. It was hard to quit but I did it cold turkey. I also quit drinking alcohol the same day.

You have to want it, I mean REALY freaking want it. Try to avoid things that triggered you to smoke. Hit the gym.

I put the money I saved in a box. Didn't take long to afford the new slug gun and scope I had been wanting.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

DuckDogDr

WKR
My grand dad managed to quit cold Turkey @ 70 after getting diagnosed with cancer (2 pack a day smoker). I know that’s not realistic for most people but just going to say it can happen
He started smoking when he was 13 years old.

Yoder

WKR
I read the drug Bupropion is supposed to help quitting smoking. Don't know the details, you'll have to Google it.

TheGDog

WKR
I read the drug Bupropion is supposed to help quitting smoking. Don't know the details, you'll have to Google it.
I've taken that drug for depression at times. One thing I did notice is that it made me quick to temper at times. As with any SSRI, you've got to just try them until you find one that your body tolerates well.

One thing very positive about WellButrin XL though, was while I was on it, when the wifey would have her "moments" of occasionally bitchiness.. I could actually just smile in her face because I wasn't triggered by her modus operandi, and I could readily just see it for what it was, a ploy and attempt at manipulating the situation. Her attempts at trying to ge tmy goat just rolled off my back like water on a duck! That part was nice!

Another side note about SSRI's... some of them can hinder your ability to reach orgasm. Darndest thing too. Sitting their just knocking yourself out puttin' in work... making 'em legit sore... and just can't finish. A trip! Again, ya just go back to the Doc and change to something else. escitalopram was one of the least bothersome.

triglet40

FNG
Quit about 7 years ago. Me and the wife both. Only way i could stay stopped was just to quit cold turkey. Wife said if you make it a month i’ll quit too. best thing we ever did.

I quit when expecting our first kid. Used patches and they worked great. Chewed regular gum. I had a really hard time with quitting but stuck with it. Stopped drinking when I was about to smoke because it was too easy to start smoking again when drinking then the whole quitting thing gets ruined.

Now, I can smoke a few on a night out and not buy another pack. It's tough but doable. I can also smell someone smoking a quarter mile ahead of me driving down the road with the windows up of its not too windy.

Good luck, having a kid won't make it any easier, so do it asap