I gots the Covid.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Nursing staff shortages were happening long before anyone was fired for refusing to be vaccinated.
Nursing shortages were happening in many places even before Covid, but making a business decision to intentionally fire more staff in those situations, thereby making the shortage even worse, is a real head scratcher for sure. I would think they'd take all the help they can get at this point.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
December 2020 and early part of 2021 COVID passed heart disease as #1. Vaccine came about and it dropped back down with the vaccine impact.
You might want to recheck your numbers. The U.S. has already seen more Covid deaths in 2021 (after the vaccine) than we had the entire time before the vaccine in 2020. Directly from the CDC......... https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7014e1.htm

KurtR

WKR
All I know is I had covid a month and a half ago and now I got something like strep throat but doesn’t test positive so no antibiotics or anything and covid was a walk in the park compared to this. On day 6 they said come back after a week and might give me something. Wife had same thing after a week gave her antibiotics 2 days and she is healed up……. I thought common sense would say just give me the antibiotics but guess not. Awesome thanksgiving.

MattB

WKR
Nursing staff shortages were happening long before anyone was fired for refusing to be vaccinated. Burnout from the pandemic, shifty pay, horrible assignment ratios, patients and families who treat them like trash, all have led to far more nurses leaving the field than vaccine issues.

I have no idea how many people have left the field due to refusing to be vaccinated. I do know why the people I am associated with are leaving, and that's not it.
I used Google to research the impact of the vaccine mandate on Colorado healthcare staffing, and the particular healthcare system referenced in this article (UCHealth) fired 0.5% of its staff due to the mandate. That is an insignificant impact. Moreover the article mentions that, even thought ~50% of unvaccinated workers threatened to quit over the vaccine mandate, only 1-2% actually did. - such conviction. That amount is likewise insignificant.

Another recent article on Centra Health indicated it places 56 of its 3,000 employees (1.8%) at one CO facility on administrative leave due to non-compliance, and that it had 99.7% compliance with the mandate system-wide. Likewise, insignificant

It seems some have an agenda by trying to place one of the least significant factors for the staffing shortage at the top of their personal list when there is ample evidence that there are other factors including COVID burnout which are much more significant.

Fatcamp

WKR
I used Google to research the impact of the vaccine mandate on Colorado healthcare staffing, and the particular healthcare system referenced in this article (UCHealth) fired 0.5% of its staff due to the mandate. That is an insignificant impact. Moreover the article mentions that, even thought ~50% of unvaccinated workers threatened to quit over the vaccine mandate, only 1-2% actually did. - such conviction. That amount is likewise insignificant.

Another recent article on Centra Health indicated it places 56 of its 3,000 employees (1.8%) at one CO facility on administrative leave due to non-compliance, and that it had 99.7% compliance with the mandate system-wide. Likewise, insignificant

It seems some have an agenda by trying to place one of the least significant factors for the staffing shortage at the top of their personal list when there is ample evidence that there are other factors including COVID burnout which are much more significant.

Ya, I hear about people quitting, but really? You are gonna throw away a 50k education over a shot after we have taken how many? Don't stand reason.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Are they being fired for Covid burnout? There's a big difference between quitting and being fired. One is a choice, the other is not. But if these firing shortages are no big deal to the hospitals, then why should we care that they are under staffed? If they can operate fine in this Covid environment with less employees, then it is indeed an "insignificant impact".

But our governor is planning on increasing the number of ICU beds, and they are already requesting "extra help" because of the shortage that the firings have created..........as in help from the department of defense that FEMA (i.e. our tax dollars) is paying for. Another insignificant impact.........that we are all paying for now. Nothing like making a bad situation worse. But it's OK, because it's of insignificant impact......that never needed to happen. (y)

MattB

WKR
Ya, I hear about people quitting, but really? You are gonna throw away a 50k education over a shot after we have taken how many? Don't stand reason.
Legitimately, they could move to a state without such a mandate and get a job doing the same thing.

I think it is ridiculous that states are putting medical workers in the crosshairs given all they have done for the public over the past 2 years and the risks they have taken to do it.

Vandy321

WKR
We can all pretend you have made constructive, fact-based contributions to this thread while we are at it. :)

Did you type that with your mask on? If not, better mask up and boost up bro, another scary covid variant on the way...the same 99.92 - 99.6% survival rate in 18-44 age group overall across all ethnicities and health statuses, but lets not talk about that, it doesn't push the narrative.

Editing to provide current survival rates from the CDC.

screenshot attached. The numbers are per 100 so we're talking ~.04% not 4%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211126-175220_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20211126-175220_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Antares

WKR
Did you type that with your mask on? If not, better mask up and boost up bro, another scary covid variant on the way...the same 99.98% survival rate, but we won't talk about that, it doesn't follow the narrative.

You forgot your cool little flag cartoons.

Legitimately, they could move to a state without such a mandate and get a job doing the same thing.

I think it is ridiculous that states are putting medical workers in the crosshairs given all they have done for the public over the past 2 years and the risks they have taken to do it.
Flight nurse in California here, we are seeing a decent amount of healthcare workers leave the state or lose their job over mandates. Thank you for recognizing the risks we've been put in over the last 2 years, alot of nurses have been forced to do their job despite inadequate PPE and poor staffing and were told by management to do the job anyways. The mandate was just the last straw for some of us healthcare workers.

Fatcamp

WKR

All true and couldn't agree more. I am vaccinated as are my wife and kids, but I am not convinced it is all that helpful.

Still, pulling up stakes and moving your family over this would be massive for most people. Spouses job, kids schools and friends, family. Could always travel nurse, but lots of issues with that as well.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. In the health system I work for we even had doc's quit.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider

True for now, but what is going to get us is the mandate from CMS which states any facility that receives Medicare/Medicaid funding all workers must be vaccinated.