I guess we need a 2022 fitness goal thread!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much snow did you run into in March (I may already be thinking of another R3)? We did a 3 day R3 back in mid-April of 2019 and ran into a bunch of snow on the North Rim.

The only two parts that felt extra long were heading through The Box towards Phantom Ranch. It felt like the ranch should have been around the next corner. And then the climb from Indian Gardens to 3 Mile Rest House was the other section that felt like it took forever. Otherwise, I think I prefer hiking out in the dark. The rim doesn't loom over you to make you go "crap, I still have that much vert left?!?!!"

When we got there the day before, there was no snow. When we took off in the dark the next morning there was 8” of snow on the South Rim, about half way down we were out of the snow. About half way up the north rim we ran into snow again- it was probably pushing 10-12” on top the North Rim! When we got back to the South Rim, probably an additional 2” (close to 10”).

If we had started the previous day, we would have been snow free :D

twall13

WKR
Final update before the end of the year. The last few months have been a lot of fun with an elk, mule deer and a pile of pheasants in the bag. That said, I've fallen a bit behind in my elevation and may not make my goal for the year, especially now that I'm running/hiking in the snow. That always slows me down so I get fewer miles for the same amount of time. At this point I'm pretty happy with the year whether I attain my original goals or not as they pushed me to be in shape enough for successful hunts. Here's where I'm at.

Total Trail Running Miles- 687
Total Hiking Miles- 200
Total Mtn. Biking Miles- 592
Total Trail Miles- 1,479 of 1,600 goal for the year
Total Elevation Gain- 224,100 of 250,000 goal for the year

715c3706b16dfb16194518cc8763caaa.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Nice!

November was a pretty good month for me- 165 miles, 1929 miles for the year- a little less than a 100 miles to make my goal of 2022, should be very doable :)

We skipped Fall this year so lots of bucking snow elk hunting. Even wore snowshoes a couple of days- not recommended! :D I eventually gave up on the places I normally hunt and went to a wintering ground and connected with a nice cow (that I was able to sled out)

Season is over so I'll make my way back to the gym and start hitting the strength training again.

voiuPPf.jpg

iV6JOKi.jpg

4Rfz60k.jpg

0ZCHcrL.jpg

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Well done on the hunts and progress for the year guys! Incredible animals!

My update: November was a great month. Committed to at least a 5k/day and am continuing that streak. Finished up with around 144 miles for November with just under 13k elevation. I'm on track for my goal and December is shaping up. I'm at 48 miles for December, but behind on elevation.

Goal is to hit my 1200 miles/120k elevation by the end of this weekend. We have a 6 mile/2800ft mountain bike ride planned for Sunday.

Current Year to Date: 1,174 miles/118,484ft elevation

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Update after the weekend: Goals accomplished! 1,200 Miles and 120,000ft of vert for the year. Last week I made a last minute decision to try to get over my vert goal. I think I ended up completing the vert goal on Tuesday. Saturday, I logged another 5.25 miles and that finished off my mileage goal. Sunday's 12 miles and 2,000ft of vert (didn't go the whole way up), was gravy.

Currently on a 41 day streak of 5k/day. Going to continue the running streak as long as possible. Already thinking about what I want to do for 2023.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ Congrats!

I'm closing in on my 2022 mile goal, but don't want to get cocky about it just yet :D

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I will finish the year at or just under 1700 running miles, completed 2 marathons and 3 ultra marathons this year. A 50k a 50 miler and a “back yard ultra” running 108 miles, I had intended to incorporate more weight training this year but didn’t make the time.. guess I have a goal for 2023! Along with a 100 miler I’m signed up for in March.

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Happy to report I was able to hit my goal of 2022 miles a week or so ago :D. Not by a lot, about +35 miles- but good enough! Several miles were x-country skiing and snowshoeing.

Was also able to get back to my strength training regime completing a full four week cycle of Wendler 5/3/1.

We had a brutal cold snap, had to hit the dreadmill a bit, but toughed out a few days.

rKCFnlo.jpg

TEI4NWK.jpg

twall13

WKR
Nicely done gents. I fell a bit short of my goals this year. I could have made it with a big push in December but the weather didn't cooperate. Considering everything that happened in my life this year I'm still pretty happy with what I accomplished. I plan on repeating this year's goals for next year. Here are my final numbers:

Trail running miles: 765
Hiking Miles: 202
Mtn. Biking miles: 592
Total trail miles: 1,559 of 1,600 goal
Total elevation gain: 238,442 of 250,000 goal

6030fe30076511e7a751737f4569435e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are crushing the elevation! I don’t track my hiking mileage but running was about 120k gain, I plan to bump that up this year and ad in a lot more biking.