I had my chances

vcb

WKR
Anybody else had their chances for archery elk 12'? It was a good season. The wife was good to me and I had 12 days in the field. Early season was awesome!! 6x6's just dropping into the drainage alone as I was up high glassing them. Archer's know that sometimes the stars have to align for the shot opportunity. I had my share this year!!:D

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
I had some close chances,but just couldnt get it to fall together. Other than that I had a great time on our hunt.

Heading out for the last 4.5 days of the season tomorrow in Idaho. Probably the only chance I'll get to chase 'em this year as I'm focusing on a controlled deer tag Oct 10-Nov 4 so anything with horns is gettin stuck!

Mike

ElkNut1

WKR
Mike, the bulls are screaming good right now!!! I've called in some beauts in the last 5 days & they are hitting the rut in full force! Be aggressive my friend!

ElkNut1

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Liking the sound of that Elknut! Have had 13 bulls inside of 30 yds and 12 inside of 23, with 2 at 8 yds......been an excellent calling year just no shot angles I like in the woods of NIdaho but will see if I can getrdun the last 5 days!! Have seen some awesome bulls up close and personal with screaming in close and personal. That is what Archery Elk Hunting is all about.

Swede

WKR
I was able to get a bull, but zip on deer. I had several chances on deer, but nothing worked out. Often I could not get the one I wanted, while I had ample shots on a dink buck that I would not draw on.

Mike, the bulls are screaming good right now!!! I've called in some beauts in the last 5 days & they are hitting the rut in full force! Be aggressive my friend!

ElkNut1

Excellent! And yeah there's no problem being aggressive here... just hope the angles line up! ;)
Got the new bugle all ready to roar... had to adjust the reed a bit to sound good but its G2G!

Mike

ElkNut1

WKR
Ross, that's a great start, wow!! That will keep you going back! (grin)

Mike, sounds good, adjusting the reed or green knob to center on latex is normal, you should be good to go!!! Good Luck!!

ElkNut1

ElkNut1,
Bought the DVD this year and it helped a ton. Still didn't get-er done but I was talking and CLOSE to a bunch of mature bulls. Ended up missing a small raghorn (misjudged yardage) but I am hooked and learned a ton. I still have next year. Thanks for doing what you do.

Bearcat

FNG
was in the Lemhi Mts, bugeling a couple this year but I couldn't get them to come in all the way. Even tried the steal the cow trick when I was within 60/70 ish yrds. Gave up calling and just did the sneak in when they were bugleing themselves. got close, 30yrds, just no shots. We will all make it happen next year! for those that still got time to hunt, good luck and make it happen!

Bubba

FNG
Just got back from hunting Elk in Idaho. This was my first ever elk hunt. We hunted 6 days and seen bulls 4 out of the 6 days. I hit a bull at 30 yards broadside and must of hit a rib bone because I only got 4 inches of penetration ( arrow= Gold tip 340+100grain G5 Montec Total weight 450 grains). The shot was perfect! I was confedent I had a dead bull till i found my arrow. We looked for a total of 6 hours for this bull and only found i spot of blood. He had cows with him so it was hard to follow tracks. He was in the 330 to 350 range. Had alot of highs and lows on this elk hunt. It physically and mentally challenged me. After this hunt i will be adding some more weight to my arrow set up. Over the 6 days we seen around 20 t0 25 bulls. I'm hooked on elk hunting. Good luck out there!

Sorry to hear that Bubba that is a tough one! I will say that I am shooting a 385 grain arrow and hit my bull in the soft part of the shoulder (by the "elbow") at 66 yards at got enough penetration to double lung him and put it all the way through to the other shoulder... 310 fps bow so thats really weird to hear of poor penetration even hitting a rib!?!?!?

Trip ended pretty awesome for myself... story and pics tomorrow! :)

Mike

Bubba

FNG
HellsCanyon,
Good to hear you had a good hunt. Can't wait to see pictures. Yeh, I don't know what happened! it was a perfect shot. Other than a rib he must of had a armour vest on. It was very disappointing when i found my arrow. He was a big bull.

Bubba