I have not even used a Bandaide

Ever use any of the first aide 'survival " items you carry? I do not recall ever using anything. I let a fellow use a bandaide for a blister on his "new" boots and that was it.
I read one story about a fellow that backed everything up w/photo's. Skinning out a nice Buck on the side of a steep hillside in the snow, he slipped and buried a knife in his forearm I believe. He even had pictures of himself suturing it up when he got back to his rig. Turned out he was an Oral surgeon. Great story and never found it again.
How about you, anything??

Lawnboi

WKR
My first aid kit contains my fire making stuff, so that gets used a good bit.

Iv had to use quite a few 4x4s and ducktape. Minor cuts, but not on myself. Bring something to clean those cuts out with! An infection is serious business.

Tylenol for headaches sometimes. Also to help me sleep.

Needle and thread to stitch up a pair of pants i ripped, and also a hole a mouse chewed in my tent.

Duck tape to repair a tear in a platypus bladder.

Water tabs, when my filter broke i would have been screwed without these in an area with some pretty sick water.

Tweezers to dig cactus spikes out of my feet (for now on the boots stay on stalking) and hands

All little things that i could have probably gotten by with without a first aid kit, but it makes things a little better none the less. Also mine only weighs 11 oz or less depending on the amount of people. Worth carrying knowing if i got in serious trouble i could probably stay alive long enough for someone to find me.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used almost all of my first aid kit last year on one guy. I heard people saying a guy had been thrown from his horse a couple miles up the trail and was in bad condition. When I happened upon him he looked like a train wreck and his gear was spread out over a half mile. An hour later I had a little duct tape left and a few pain pills. He was left with his gear piled up next to him and a helicopter on its way. His buddy took his gear and walked his horse out.

I have only used super glue and tape on any of my injuries.

dotman

WKR
So i'm thinking iodine tablets could have a second use, make a paste for bad wounds to prevent infection. Anyone try this or think it would work?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Luckily I haven't had to use much of it. My buddy and I did go through a whole bottle of Aleve last deer season. I used Neosporin quite a bit on my heels after my boots weren't as broken in as I thought they were. I think that is truthfully about it.

Solitude

WKR
A buddy sliced his hand pretty darn good one year breakin down a buck buck years ago. Fortunately we were close to camp. We used all we were carryin at the time and had no duck tape on us. Duck tape a a few gauze pads could have made quick work of a fairly bad situation. After the experience band aids have dwindled in my pack in leu of tape and gaze pads.

Cross my fingers and knock on wood...I have not had to use anything in my first aid kit while hunting. back in 2001 I did have to use them quite a bit while hiking Philmont Scout Ranch. We had a younger kid on the trip 14 who was over weight and clumsy. Rolled his ankle every day--nearly broke it one day. He used all of our duct tape from EVERYONES packs. The best part was we all enjoyed the screams every night when it came off :) It was worth it :)

Sorry if that sounds mean...it was a long 11 days :p

ElkNut1

WKR
I've seen lots of accidents over the years. 4 stab wounds, cutting fingers pretty bad multiple times, head lacerations from falling into downfall, one mild heart attack, several altitude sicknesses & I mean bad ones. Most accidents I see are just flat out carelessness! Because of the issues I've been around my son & I always carry a small packet of Celox, it's in granular form & is a small packet the size of a Koolaid packet. It is supposed to stop bleeding of any sorts including a severed artey that can gush blood uncontrollably! I hope it never gets used but have it with us on every hunt!

ElkNut1

R

rebecca francis

We've had to sew up a few horse wounds, but the worst was when I packed in 14 miles with my 9 month old on my back. I had just shot a deer and was getting it quartered while my husband was off chasing another buck. My little Landon was just starting to pull himself up and stand against things. Well I shot the deer in a rockslide and so I had to build a little rock wall around him while I was working on the deer. He was loving life. But he tried to stand up on the rock wall and fell slicing his cheek on a sharp rock clear to the bone and about three inches long. Our suturing kit was at camp and all I had was some compeed. So after cleaning it, I held his little cheek together the best I could and stuck the compeed on. It was holding together great so we didn't pull it off to sew it. When we got back home three days later we took him to the doctor and the doctor said not to pull it off for a couple of weeks. When we finally pulled it off, it was a perfectly straight line that held together great. Now 12 years later....he is so proud of that scar on his cheek. It's not very noticeable but he tells everyone about how his mom killed a deer with him. So....moral of the story....compeed works for not only blisters, but for holding deep cuts together.

This is a pic I took of him with my buck just moments before he fell. He's so freakin cute!

6859935242_171b3ebdb6_z.jpg

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Nope never used any of it but my hunting partner did try and cut his finger off one year and used most everything he had.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
That is freaking cool that you took your 9 month old on that type of hunt. My daughters go hunting with me but haven't gone on an extended hunt like that yet.

We've had to sew up a few horse wounds, but the worst was when I packed in 14 miles with my 9 month old on my back. I had just shot a deer and was getting it quartered while my husband was off chasing another buck. My little Landon was just starting to pull himself up and stand against things. Well I shot the deer in a rockslide and so I had to build a little rock wall around him while I was working on the deer. He was loving life. But he tried to stand up on the rock wall and fell slicing his cheek on a sharp rock clear to the bone and about three inches long. Our suturing kit was at camp and all I had was some compeed. So after cleaning it, I held his little cheek together the best I could and stuck the compeed on. It was holding together great so we didn't pull it off to sew it. When we got back home three days later we took him to the doctor and the doctor said not to pull it off for a couple of weeks. When we finally pulled it off, it was a perfectly straight line that held together great. Now 12 years later....he is so proud of that scar on his cheek. It's not very noticeable but he tells everyone about how his mom killed a deer with him. So....moral of the story....compeed works for not only blisters, but for holding deep cuts together.

This is a pic I took of him with my buck just moments before he fell. He's so freakin cute!

6859935242_171b3ebdb6_z.jpg

I wrap duct tape around lighters. If i cut my finger or something the duct tape works well as a bandaid. I carry a bottle of superglue as well

7mag.

WKR
Rebecca, that is hard corps. Taking a 9 month old on a back country hunt, and you shot a nice buck with him there, I'm impressed. How did you have room for your gear, deer, and kid on your back?

R

rebecca francis

Yeah right, sure you did :)

Yes ok my bearguide did help, however.....the way I remember it....as soon as my deer dropped, I turned around and all I could see was a cloud of dust where bearguide stood. He was running up the mountain after another buck and I could faintly hear him calling "Becky skin, quarter, load that deer! I'll be back!"

Lol, he did make it back in time to help me hold the baby while we put the compeed on.

R

rebecca francis

Rebecca, that is hard corps. Taking a 9 month old on a back country hunt, and you shot a nice buck with him there, I'm impressed. How did you have room for your gear, deer, and kid on your back?

We actually packed in on horses to a base camp and then spiked out from there. But our horses ended up running off without us and we had to hike all the way out anyway. The funny part is, on that same trip, I was a few months pregnant with my daughter too. The next year I took her with me and she was six months old. She was with me when I shot my deer that year.
Here's a cute pic of Aspen with us...
6861387230_cc3d19dfc0_z.jpg

B

bearguide

we will be taking aspen back up to our favorite deer area to shoot her first buck this year. she just turned 12 on march 8