I have the best backpack

Higbean

FNG
Wait just a minute. You guys are taking this all wrong. I never took any digs at you guys. I was embarrassed I posted about an MR pack after I read another post around here that stated something to the effect of "Rokslide is run by Aron Snyder and a few other Kifaru guys." No I'll intention I swear.

sk1

WKR
Wait just a minute. You guys are taking this all wrong. I never took any digs at you guys. I was embarrassed I posted about an MR pack after I read another post around here that stated something to the effect of "Rokslide is run by Aron Snyder and a few other Kifaru guys." No I'll intention I swear.

well then, sorry for misinterpreting you.......we were all just trying to make sure you knew any brand discussion or preference was welcome on the forum

post away with your mystery ranch pictures, im sure you're not alone in that category....lots of happy MR users out there

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Higbean, sorry for the above post. That's why I said "I don't get it." Look around the site. We have reviews on many packs. Aron did a review on several packs for Extreme Elk mag. He is the most unbiased guy you will find.

Rokslide wants you to find the best gear for you. We don't care if it's MR, Kuiu or Kifaru. We just want you to be informed!

So feel free to post on any gear.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Gotcha.... but I'm the only "Kifaru Guy" that is an owner at Rokslide.

So again, feel free to post up any photos and thoughts about your gear and packs.

I'm not sure why you would feel bad about posting photos of a Mystery Ranch pack!?! They are great packs and made in America as well....and we have a bunch of MR users on Rokslide.

Anyway, I think we've covered that:

#1) I work as a sales rep for Kifaru

#2) You use a Mystery Ranch pack

#3) A lot of guys use different packs on Rokslide

#4) A lot of guys use Kifaru on Rokslide

#5) We want to keep RS a "non-bashing" website, and everyone is welcome to post what they want

After that, I think we can drop this subject and move on to the actual question that was asked in the beginning

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Here is my pack progression:

Arcteryx Bora 95 (Hauled a few caribou off the hill with it)
CIMG0631.jpg

CliffStanding.jpg

Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 (hauled a sheep a few goats and a few caribou with it in it and the Load Sling configuration):
DSC00409.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

SANY0323-1.jpg

SANY0555.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Barney's of Alaska (Helped haul 3 sheep and two caribou out with it)
IMGP0521.jpg

IMGP0665.jpg

Kifaru T1 (Helped haul 10+ deer in it and a sheep)
IMGP1275.jpg

P8310466.jpg

IMGP0803.jpg

Kifaru DT1 (Help haul a caribou and a sheep in it thus far, but the season is far from over :) ) But I don't have many of this season pics loaded on photobucket yet so...you get no pics :D

Higbean

FNG
I have a buddy who would get punished for fighting with his older brother. His Dad would make them hold hands and wave at cars. Can we just bypass the humiliating part and high five or something?

BuckSnort

WKR
Aron left out #6... He manscapes before the hunts and spins circles on flower covered mountain tops like Julie Andrews from "The Sound Of Music"... lol

Wilderness Pack Specialties, Bison Gear, Blackhawk, Badlands, Cabelas, Crookedhorn, Eberlestock, Nimrod (loved pack, suspension not so much), Mystery Ranch (always said give me a MR pack on a Kifaru suspension). Some I did not like at all, some had many nice features. However none fit, carried and felt as well as the Kifaru. All just my personal opinion and how they fit me.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cabelas Bow/Rifle pack
Eberlestock Gunslinger
Eberlestock X1
Badlands 2200
Kifaru G1 spike camp
Kifaru G1 siwash
kifaru G2 Pointman
kifaru G2 Longhunter Guide
Kifaru G2 Longhunter Standard
ArcTeryx Bora 70
Kifaru G1 Siwash (again)
Kifaru Timberline 1
Kifaru Timberline 3

Just traded the T3 for a ULA Catalyst plus cash and using the cash to buy a Dana/K2 External like Yellowknife's. Trying to trade the T1 for a T2.

Last edited:

BuckSnort

WKR
RockChucker, just curious why you want to trade your T1 for a T2?.... I am researching both packs and hope to have one by next summer just don't really know which one to get..I'm thinking that with the T1 I can go for up to 10 days with bulky cold weather gear with no problem ....Then just cinch every thing down on smaller trips...

That Barney's of Alaska pack has always caught my attention. However I see no size (belt) option as in most packs. Being a big guy these "One size fits some" packs are not an option. What I would give to be small & skinny!!!

Last edited:
That Barney's of Alaska pack has always caught my attention. However I see no size (belt) option as in most packs. Being a big guy these "One size fits some" packs are not an option. What I would give to be small & skinny!!!

from what i hear the skinny guys have a hard time with belts that go small enough.. its the avg guys <-------- that have it easy

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bucksnort, I used the T1 a couple weeks ago on an elk hunt and frankly the snow collar was in the way. I could just cut it out, but hate to modify one if a trade were possible.

Plus the T2 with 24" stays would make a good day hunt pack with big first load ability so I can see using two stay lengths.

Also, I've got pretty good gear. For really cold weather I would add a montbell thermawrap, a Patagonia micro puff vest, or possibly a DAS parka to my base load out plus maybe a bulkier sleeping bag. I think I could fit all that in the T1 without the snow collar. Throw the bag in a dry bag and strap it to the bottom or top and I know it would fit.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hammer0419,

If your waist size is between 32-40" I would say you are good to go for the Barney's. With my 29-31" waist the belt started bottoming out and slipping down when loaded down heavy. But waist larger than that, I think they are THE best pure load hauling pack out there.

Like Luke says, the Barneys hip belt is geared towards average+. Probably perfect at 34" to 36" waists, but likely better for a 40" than a 30"... The harness is also highly adjustable, and I think it will fit most people up to a little over 6 ft. The hip belt also move up and down on the frame a couple of inches, which also helps. If you are over 6' 6" and 40"+ around... then you might have problems.

Yk

Hammer0419,

If your waist size is between 32-40" I would say you are good to go for the Barney's. With my 29-31" waist the belt started bottoming out and slipping down when loaded down heavy. But waist larger than that, I think they are THE best pure load hauling pack out there.

If that is the case, it will fit me. Might have to give one a try. Thank you.