I just paid an absurd amount for primers...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've been thinking about gouging people with primer sales. Its amazing what people will pay. I grabbed a brick every time I went to the shop, I thought everybody did that. Apparently people stocked up on everything BUT primers.

Well, unless that person is a license HazMat shipper, the transaction might be illegal. It is something to look into and be concerned about. Not sure if you as the buyer would get in trouble though.

Oh, and for the record, I would never sell primers at any huge premium. I have primers I don't need but will hold onto until a trade can be made for equal value or change primers in the future (Large Rifle to Large Rifle Magnum with a slightly reduced load).

CorbLand

WKR
I've been thinking about gouging people with primer sales. Its amazing what people will pay. I grabbed a brick every time I went to the shop, I thought everybody did that. Apparently people stocked up on everything BUT primers.
I know. Its so hard. I have bricks of Magnums that I stocked up on over the years and could sell a couple bricks and own the rest for free. So tempting.

archp625

WKR
and I'm very ashamed of myself. LOL

My complete lack of patience and willingness to conserve primers led to a GunBroker purchase today. :(

I'm sorry that I contributed to the problem by rewarding the scalpers. Don't judge!
The good thing is you will find 100 primers on the shelf somewhere very soon for normal prices. Its works that way with the gun fairy's.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
I grabbed a brick back in September thinking it would be enough for a year or so. Little did I know I would shoot this much. I still have 300 but I also have a new barrel on order, so...

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
The good thing is you will find 100 primers on the shelf somewhere very soon for normal prices. Its works that way with the gun fairy's.
Seriously it does.

That's why I mentioned my impatience. I know if I would just be stingy with the primers I have, that by the time I really needed more, I would have found a brick for a reasonable price. But that's not how I am. LOL

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I grabbed a brick back in September thinking it would be enough for a year or so. Little did I know I would shoot this much. I still have 300 but I also have a new barrel on order, so...
I was organizing things this weekend and I have an entire tote full of bricks of Large rifle and magnum primers, probably ~ 50 bricks total. Thats just from grabbing a brick or 2 when I was at the shop or adding a brick to an order of powder when I was getting it sent out. Now if I could just find the time to do some re loading...

OP
Newtosavage
I was organizing things this weekend and I have an entire tote full of bricks of Large rifle and magnum primers, probably ~ 50 bricks total. Thats just from grabbing a brick or 2 when I was at the shop or adding a brick to an order of powder when I was getting it sent out. Now if I could just find the time to do some re loading...
I am going to adopt your practices when this calms down. LOL

I also bought out all the powder I could reasonably use for the 3 rifles I load for the other day, while they were still on the shelves and still a reasonable price. However, I just paid more for 1K primers than I did the other day for 5 lbs. of powder. Crazy.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I also bought out all the powder I could reasonably use for the 3 rifles I load for the other day, while they were still on the shelves and still a reasonable price. However, I just paid more for 1K primers than I did the other day for 5 lbs. of powder. Crazy.

Where I messed up is I didnt buy enough RL15, now Im down to half a pound of it. Id do horrible things to get my hands on an 8lb jug of it now.

OP
Newtosavage
Where I messed up is I didnt buy enough RL15, now Im down to half a pound of it. Id do horrible things to get my hands on an 8lb jug of it now.
Our little local gun shop had tons of powder just 3 weeks ago. I went in there and was amazed they still had so much. Probably 7 or 8 different powders (and 3-4 cans of each) that all would have worked for my rifles. I thought at the time, how odd it was that they were so well stocked, and made a mental note to grab a few extra pounds even though I was pretty well set at home. Last week I went in to do just that, and the powder shelves had been picked clean. They still had 4 lbs. of Ramshot Hunter at just $25/lb. so I went ahead and grabbed all that. But everything else was pretty much gone. I guess the word got out that they still had powder.

I wandered through Cabelas the other day (increasingly a waste of time since the BPS buyout) and where they used to have ammo and reloading components, now they have airsoft bs and black rifle coffee t-shirts. That made me laugh.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Our little local gun shop had tons of powder just 3 weeks ago. I went in there and was amazed they still had so much. Probably 7 or 8 different powders (and 3-4 cans of each) that all would have worked for my rifles. I thought at the time, how odd it was that they were so well stocked, and made a mental note to grab a few extra pounds even though I was pretty well set at home. Last week I went in to do just that, and the powder shelves had been picked clean. They still had 4 lbs. of Ramshot Hunter at just $25/lb. so I went ahead and grabbed all that. But everything else was pretty much gone. I guess the word got out that they still had powder.

I wandered through Cabelas the other day (increasingly a waste of time since the BPS buyout) and where they used to have ammo and reloading components, now they have airsoft bs and black rifle coffee t-shirts. That made me laugh.
I found 7lbs of triple 7 so ove been shooting a muzzle loader more than usual.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I randomly clicked on an unnamed website yesterday and they had a 8lb jug of H1000. I checked out as fast as I could. I felt like I won mega millions. If I can find h1000 I figure sooner or later I can find primers.

Last edited:
OP
Newtosavage
I randomly clicked on an unnamed website yesterday and they had a 8lb jug of H1000. I checked out as fast as I could. I felt like I won mega millions. If I can find h1000 I figure sooner or later I can find primers.
"unnamed..." LOL

Right now, I wish I liked a particular powder enough to want 8 lbs. of it. Someday maybe I'll get that lucky because it will mean I have my new rifle built, I've shot it a lot, and I really like it and want to shoot it a lot more. :D

CorbLand

WKR
I have been telling family and friends to do this for years. Every time you go to a place that sells primers, grab a 100. Its like 3 bucks and they add up over the time and you never see it leave your bank account. I told my brother to start doing this years ago. I was home a couple weekends ago and he was making fun of me because I have 10,000 primers that I have accumulated over the last 4 years. He called me last week and was like "uh can you start watching for primers for me?"

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If people are willing to pay the price, the prices will remain high.

I had 9mm, 223, and 5.56 listed awhile back and had no takers for days so dropped the price. Then I had so many takers that I relisted it at above my original prices and I was still selling like crazy. Now that my two daughter's college tuition is paid for, I pulled all the listings.....LOL. Uh Oh........less supply on the market now, prices are going to go up. And then I'll relist it again at those prices. I won't apologize for being an opportunist, and I only sell in sealed cases of 1000 rounds.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have been telling family and friends to do this for years. Every time you go to a place that sells primers, grab a 100. Its like 3 bucks and they add up over the time and you never see it leave your bank account. I told my brother to start doing this years ago. I was home a couple weekends ago and he was making fun of me because I have 10,000 primers that I have accumulated over the last 4 years. He called me last week and was like "uh can you start watching for primers for me?"
10,000 primers??? those a rookie numbers, you need to pump those numbers up...

CorbLand

WKR
10,000 primers??? those a rookie numbers, you need to pump those numbers up...
I know, I know. All in due time.

I mean given in that same time period I have bought a press, dies, powder, bullets, primer, etc. I dont think I am doing to bad.