I just paid an absurd amount for primers...

Fatcamp

WKR
Stupid times. I'd really like some small rifle primers bit not badly enough to struggle for them.

OP
Newtosavage
local store quoted me $25 for a box of 100 win LR primers. WTF.
Well, that's the going rate right now unfortunately.

If your local store is charging that much, they aren't really that interested in their local customers IMO. Our small-town gun shop takes care of the regulars by never marking up stuff. I bought 4 lbs. of Ramshot Hunter earlier this week for $25/lb. I routinely buy reloading components there for the same price they are advertised on Midway and other on-line retailers, but I don't have to pay shipping. They will even order things for me and I'll get the same price that I could if I ordered them online myself, but without the shipping fee. And that's why all the regular customers like myself love the place.

Well, that's the going rate right now unfortunately.

If your local store is charging that much, they aren't really that interested in their local customers IMO. Our small-town gun shop takes care of the regulars by never marking up stuff. I bought 4 lbs. of Ramshot Hunter earlier this week for $25/lb. I routinely buy reloading components there for the same price they are advertised on Midway and other on-line retailers, but I don't have to pay shipping. They will even order things for me and I'll get the same price that I could if I ordered them online myself, but without the shipping fee. And that's why all the regular customers like myself love the place.
Yeah its one thing to limit amounts to spread things out to more customers. Or maybe raise the price 10% but I would never set foot in any shop again that price gouges like that.
I wouldn't spend my last dime with cheaper then dirt.

Local store has 100,000 primers on the shelf for their 9am opening today. I’m not dealing with that circus though. I’d rather pay $140 off the local buy sell page.

wapitibob

WKR
I just bought a brick at sportsmans for $35 and 1# of H1000 that I'll give to a friend, and grabbed 200 140 ttsx's. Bought 10# of rl-25 two weeks ago along with some 6.5 cm eld-x. It's getting better.

KineKilla

WKR
Interesting. I stopped by Sportsmans yesterday and found nothing.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
It was gone in 1/2 hour then they brought more out later supposedly. Hit and miss but they do seem to be getting hodgden on a regular basis.

Firth

FNG
I actually wish the manufacturer would increase their prices during times like these. As it is, they charge about the same, stores charge about the same, and scalpers buy stuff cheap and sell high. All the extra profits go to scalpers who have no skin in the game whatsoever.

If there were more profits in it for the producers, the incentives for increasing production would better offset the associated risks.

Rob5589

WKR
I actually wish the manufacturer would increase their prices during times like these. As it is, they charge about the same, stores charge about the same, and scalpers buy stuff cheap and sell high. All the extra profits go to scalpers who have no skin in the game whatsoever.

If there were more profits in it for the producers, the incentives for increasing production would better offset the associated risks.
Nah, scalpers would still do the same thing, the prices would just be higher.

I wish distributors would just set up back orders and wait lists. There is absolutely no reason their software cannot do this. Set a 1 qty limit and purge repeat customers. Basically everyone gets in line. Too many people with nothing better to do but line up every time to scalp or horde.

Our local Sportsmans gets primers about every other week. One time they let people line up for primers only to have a very limited qty. Then they did it again the next day to release 8 bricks. They know what they have but they let people line up, just to get people into the store.

Firth

FNG
Nah, scalpers would still do the same thing, the prices would just be higher.
Perhaps to an extent, but the market will only bare so much and people start shooting less to conserve. The real solution is more capacity, but the ammunition companies are hesitant to invest because the panic buying eventually ends but the still have to pay for all the expansion.

Right now the free market is broken because the manufacturers won't charge what their product is worth due to supply and demand. Scalpers are just filling the void. The biggest downside for us is somebody with no incentive or ability to address the supply issues is the one pocketing all the profits. Under those conditions what incentive is there for a manufacturer to expand?

Lawnboi

WKR
I wish distributors would just set up back orders and wait lists. There is absolutely no reason their software cannot do this. Set a 1 qty limit and purge repeat customers. Basically everyone gets in line. Too many people with nothing better to do but line up every time to scalp or horde.

Our local Sportsmans gets primers about every other week. One time they let people line up for primers only to have a very limited qty. Then they did it again the next day to release 8 bricks. They know what they have but they let people line up, just to get people into the store.
So many are setup with automatic buying that I don’t have a chance when they hit anymore

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone is feeling guilty about their excessive small rifle/magnum primer stash, PM me for reasonably priced therapy