I know it's not a sheep but I drew NM IBEX!

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
That's what I've been saying plenty of guys and kids have killed ibex up there, but I guess since summitstrong can't do it, its impossible

I don't judge the difficulty of a hunt by others success typically.
My apprehension about doing this solo are because of the occasional need for climbing gear and poisonous rattlers. I'm not one to usually back out of a situation when it looks hairy. That gets me into awkward situations in generally safe spots, this could get ugly alone...

Murse432

FNG
I hunted the Floridas back in 1994/95 on a depredation tag...very fun hunt...would definitely recommend great optics, and making sure you can visualize both horns(don't shoot at a billy with one side obscured! oops!!) Have a great time...those mountains are ROUGH!

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Nice Billy, what subspecies is that?

I hunted the Floridas back in 1994/95 on a depredation tag...very fun hunt...would definitely recommend great optics, and making sure you can visualize both horns(don't shoot at a billy with one side obscured! oops!!) Have a great time...those mountains are ROUGH!
I appreciate the advice. I have the optics part covered, I get to play with the best glass in the world for 100+ days every year while hunting.
Are you saying that one horned billies are not so rare?

Kilboars

WKR
Gredos. Made a 3 week road trip out of it with my bride. Started in Madrid and went to the
gredos mountains for a 3 day hunt then toured their wine country for 2 weeks and ended the trip in Barcelona.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Gredos. Made a 3 week road trip out of it with my bride. Started in Madrid and went to the
gredos mountains for a 3 day hunt then toured their wine country for 2 weeks and ended the trip in Barcelona.

I love that idea!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradb

WKR
Its really not as bad as some make it out to be. In spots it is of course. Also I think some of the climbing gear required is when they shoot one in a spot where you know you can't get to it, or they run there after the shot. Yes its a steep cliff filled area, but you can navigate around the area and find some in areas where its not that hard. Like I said we actually killed mine in what I would say is really a very easy spot. But I also talked to some guys that were going after one on a ledge that if they shot it there they would WITH OUT QUESTION need climbing gear.. It really is a hunt that you can DIY not to hard at all. Know I do think having a spotter below is a huge help.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
I don't judge the difficulty of a hunt by others success typically.
My apprehension about doing this solo are because of the occasional need for climbing gear and poisonous rattlers. I'm not one to usually back out of a situation when it looks hairy. That gets me into awkward situations in generally safe spots, this could get ugly alone...
I actually prefer to do that hunt solo!
But if I were paying non resident cost and I could afford an outfitter that would definitely be the way to go. I killed one in '17 and it almost made it to a place that required climbing gear before it died. He ended up on the very top of one of the domes. That was a pain to get down off that rock but worth every bit.
20171007_174738.jpg

Last edited:

TX_Diver

WKR
I've got the same tag. I just moved across the country but can now shoot as far as I want off my back porch so looking forward to getting out there and at least seeing some ibex.

I've run into a few people on the forums that have had the tag. I would love to use an outfitter but don't think it's in the cards this year as I hired a guide for last years 16b elk hunt when everyone bailed out on me. This year nobody wants to go but at least I can pack out an ibex on my own IF I were to actually get one.

See you out there.

I had an any weapon tag back in 2013. I went DIY with some family along so can’t comment on outfitter options. Sounds like the herd has changed since then but the mountain would be the same. I would be happy to share my experience with access and landmarks on the mountain. I think bradb gave me some intel when I was going. PM me if interested.

I would agree with several of the comments about the mountain being tough. It is just a different experience than a 10k+ sheep/mountain goat/mule deer hunt. The thing that made it the most challenging to me is that everywhere you step is loose baseball to volleyball size rock and they will all roll under your feet. It made it difficult to cover any ground quickly.

I had a fantastic hunt experience, killed a nice billy on 4th day right before a big snowstorm rolled in (late Nov). You will have a great time, enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Thanks Badbrown03, I am pumped!I

Today I drew my 2nd choice hunts in CO for deer and elk and both will get turned in because they interfere with the ibex hunt....first world problems but damn it.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I would do as you did and go after the ibex. I'm super stoked to read about the hunt in october. Goats are fun animal with lots of personality and there is something majestic about the bucks.. Just getting to watch a group of ibex together is fun. I'm sure your going to have a blast.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Congrats on the tag, however I see 2 problems..
Snakes..I unfortunately live in an area filled with them...but I dont have big mountains

Second rappelling gear ..been a long time and I'm not a coordinated climber

JeremiahH

WKR
Can anyone speak to October vs January besides maybe less snakes?

Are the Goats hanging out at different elevations or grouped differently during January ?

I've been planning for this hunt for the last couple months and saving to put in for 2022.

I'm just a little torn october vs January.
I like january since it doesnt interrupt local home hunting season haha.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk