I know we're supposed to dislike REI...

But I ended up with $40 in store credit there after buying my wife some hiking boots. I look through their website but I don't know what I need. Partly because of what they carry and partly because my lack of experience.

My clothing set up is pretty good. If there's anything I need/want to add, they don't carry it there. My sleeping pad and bag are OK. Fine for what I've used it for so far. I have great boots, plenty of Darn Tough socks. My wife is getting me a Mystery Ranch Pintler for my birthday in April.

My water purification set up could possibly use some work. I currently only have a steripen and iodine tabs for back up. Would adding a 3rd way to purify be worth it? Maybe to filter water that's on the dirty/silty side?

My cookset could also be lacking. I have a soto windmaster, and a stainless stanley cookpot.

What are some common overlooked odds and ends I could grab from there to help me out? My wife wants to start doing some of this stuff as well, and we have a small child so if it'll help them out that's fine too. It doesn't have to be under $40 either.

Spend my money!

Rodéo

WKR
They have 50% off camelbak vacuum sealed bottles. Similar to yeti tumblers but cheaper. I have a couple in my cart I was going to buy for taking coffee out to the waterfowl blinds.

Their outlet/used section normally has some good deals on all kinds of outdoors gear - tents, boots, cookware, etc.

The Sawyer Squeeze water filtration system is awesome and right in that price range. Not the mini, the full size. Crazy light and supposedly one of the best levels of filtration out there. Never used mine in dirty water, but they're supposed to be great for it because you can back-rinse the filter pretty easily.

Use it as my primary with a steripen for backup.

OutHeavy

FNG
I'll be the third to recommend the Sawyer. I've read reviews about the bags failing, but it comes with 3 so the odds are in your favor. I've run the sawyer as my primary filtration the last 3 seasons and only had one bag fail. I bought 3 additional 64 oz bags for about 10 bucks and just cary two at a time. The only time they don't work well is when you are filtering still water (lake or pond). The bags are too stiff to fill well just by dunking. If you carry an MSR dromedary or similar bladder it works really well for filling the sawyer bag(s).
My recommendation for a nonconventional use of your funds, REI usually sells season passes for your local, regional or state parks. If you've got all the gear you need this might be a good option.

The Katadyn BeFree is, in my opinion, superior to the Sawyer. Pair it with a Hydrapak Seeker 2L or 3L and you've got yourself a decent water filtration system.

+1 on the Katadyn BeFree & the Hydrapak Seeker. That's a great system
Flexlite chair
All of their down products are awesome too. Have the Magma bag & hoody

Drenalin

WKR
You could look into a Sawyer Squeeze or Micro (not Mini), or the Be Free mentioned above. But I personally wouldn't be carrying that in addition to the Steripen. Maybe skip the filter and get one or two of the lighter weight Nalgenes to use with your Steripen?

Headlamps - I don't know what they have, but surely something adequate. A Petzl e+Lite makes a lot of sense for around camp and/or as a backup at only 1 ounce. I like mine.

I'd be looking for a Ti pot. My Windmaster didn't fit well with a fuel canister in the Toaks 650 though.

Kuju pour over coffee is good, in my opinion better than instant options (at least that I've tried). I'm going to carry a second cup this year just to have decent coffee.

Gear Aid tenacious tape and seam sealer.

A lightweight sit pad.

boom

WKR
Revel LED string lights. $25 and you can run them with a USB power source.
I’m picking up a strand to occasionally discharge my fish finder battery completely.

I bet it’s a billion times better than a lantern at camp.

rclouse79

WKR
3 liter platypus hydration bladder. If I drink a bunch of water before I leave the truck I never need to stop to pump water on a day hunt.