I know we're supposed to dislike REI...

Backyard

WKR
Merino wool base layers made from "only humanely sheared sheep" (as I was informed by a salesperson at REI once. LOL!).

I have liked REi for years. Not aligned with their politics but I like the place.

if you can get to one in person, I think the best deals are their garage sales. Most stores also have a used gear sale of some kind. If you miss those, the clothing mark down or sale rack always has some good buys. 30-50% off.

Coldtrail

WKR
I've bought some awesome Merino wool base layers from REI & a sweet 2 person ultralight tent for a very good price. They are not super duper ultra-alpha predator mountain peak ultra concealment 3d camo....but get the job done well.

OP
A
Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to use them and get a few things I hadn't really thought of. Feel free to keep them coming, you never know what I may be missing.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
I'll grab bicycle gear from REI. Innertubes. Bike lights. Pedals. Pearl Izumi shorts.
Only clothes I go for are base layers but another thumbs up for good socks. Smartwool and Darn Tough can eat up an entire dividend.

I have to avoid their garage sales due to finding too many great deals I can't pass up.

Billinsd

WKR
I didn’t know we were “supposed” to like or dislike anyone. It’s almost as if we can’t think for ourselves.
We can and should think for ourselves. REI has shown they are anti 2nd Amendment by dropping Vista Outddors, parent company of CamelBak, Giro, Bell, Camp Chef, because Vista owned Savage arms, a gun manufacturing company and there are issues about their ties to the Sierra Club and others. After Vista sold Savage Arms they were welcomed back by REI. Some have a big problem with that, some not at all, and most are in between somewhere. I don't like REI either, but I am still a member and occasionally buy things there. I am still a member and occasionally buy things there because it benefits me and my dislike of REI is not strong strong enough to overpower this yet.. . Your mileage my differ. Cheers Bill

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I live in one of the worst areas for anti-hunters in the world and REI has been nothing but great for me.

I have had many positive responses when I reply that I am a hunter and that I eat 100% natural meat. It intrigues many of the folks that work there.

Rokbar

WKR
MSR Windburner and cans of fuel. It's not that I dislike REI, I'm just cheap and go once a year for a sale or 2. Plus my kids like to go causing me to spend more money!!!!! They get one item off the clearance rack, period.

Lost.

FNG
Money towards a Benchmade, isobutane canisters, mountain house meals, a good headlamp, carabiners. I can usually find something everytime I go in that place. I love the “garage sale” section.