I know what I WANT - tell me what I NEED

I know there are many threads on scope preference/choice but I wanted to toss this out there anyways.

After all of the research and drooling looking at new scopes I believe I have determined what I WANT to buy. I say want because I think I have bought into the hype and let my inexperience/ignorance take over and what I want isn't actually what I need. I'm not going to say the scope I've picked out up front because I'd like to hear unbiased opinions.

Here's some background that I have been considering in my choice:
  • Primarily hunt in Michigan for whitetail
  • Michigan shot ranges from 15 to 200yrds
  • 1 Western mule deer hunt under my belt - already have the next planned
  • Western Pronghorn
  • dream goal of one day caribou hunting in BC
  • Enjoy range days but limited to about 600 yrds
  • Rifle: Tikka T3x Hunter in 6.5 CM
  • Budget: $600 (Not MSRP - would be buying from one of the drop ship sites like Locked n Loaded, or used)
  • Important: Quality - Should last the rest of my life, low light ability for those first/last minute shots in the thick woods, ease of elevation adjustment & return to zero

What do you think?

PNWGATOR

WKR
SWFA 6x (3-9 if you insist on a variable) milquad reticle in mils with Sportsmatch TO84 rings.

Rich M

WKR
2.5-10x42 mm and you pick the brand. You want a dialer, I don't do those.

I did everything you mention except the 600 yd range and the caribou (too pricey for me) with a VX-2 3-9x40.

OP
H
Appreciate everyone's response. I haven't done a lot of research on the swfa but there's no denying the support they get here.

I was leaning towards a VX-3i 4.5-14 40 CDS. Locked n Loaded has them for about $500 shipped.

Just curious, what would make the swfa worth the extra $?

Scottyboy

WKR
Appreciate everyone's response. I haven't done a lot of research on the swfa but there's no denying the support they get here.

I was leaning towards a VX-3i 4.5-14 40 CDS. Locked n Loaded has them for about $500 shipped.

what makes the SWFA worth the extra money? Easy. It will work every single time you need it too.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Look at a zeiss v4 their also very reliable, have great glass and will last a lifetime. Redhawk rifles sells a demo model option that is new in box for around that price. They do it to get around minimum advertised price rules.

WRO

WKR
Meopta optica 6 will fit that. Swfa has the turrets, glass is so/ so. Leopold will fail under repeated dialing.. nikon fx1000 black is another option that will fit your budget.

Zeiss eyeboxes suck, but the turrets are decent..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR

In terms of reliability, there's no comparison between the VX-3 and the SWFA or Bushnell LRTS linked to above.

jt4

WKR
Do your research on who you’re buying from. It doesn’t take more than a quick search on vendors to give you an idea who you should and shouldn’t be comfortable dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jodorouse

FNG
I just went through this decision for a 7mm RM savage 110 long range I bought from cabelas that someone on Rokslide said was on ultra deep discount a couple weeks ago. I am from Minnesota with similar hunting situation as you and I have grand plans of Muleys, Elk, and Antelope out west. Did a cow elk hunt this last fall and had a blast.

I was going to go with a Vortex Viper that was in the 2.5-10 range for about what you were looking to spend but I decided on the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15 50mm that EuroOptic with an illuminated red dot HSR5 reticle which was a bit more than I was originally thinking. From what I read the glass was great and the warranty is ironclad. I plan on using it a long time and I could use it for any hunt I want. I honestly would think about upgrading the gun before my new scope at this point.

Sorry I didn’t stay under your pre-established max but I didn’t stay under mine either but now I have a sweet scope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered a Meopta Optika6 from Doug at CameralandNY. Glass will be very good, nice choice of reticles (I got BDC), but they are heavy (if that is important to you). They are reputedly stout/almost unbreakable.