I Like my Crispis, but I want a wider toe box

ahhyut

FNG
I have a pair of 11.5 Crispis Pro Light Crossovers and for my big toe, the length is long enough, but I get a lot of pressure on the outer part of my smaller toes. Short of booking a flight to buy a pair of boots somewhere, does anyone have a suggestion for a hunting boot with a wider toe box? I normally wear 11s for nike sneakers for additional reference. I am not opposed to buying different insoles, but I don't think that is the complete issue, sometimes I get pressure points on the top of my pinky toe.

In my experience, the toe box in Lowes has been fairly generous. Check out the Lowa Renegade -- it's a lighter boot but comparable to the Crossover.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

FLATHEAD

WKR
I tried Lowas in a Wide. Couldnt get my foot halfway in.
Same with Solamons , Obos, Crispis and some others.

Ended up in Keen Targhee 3's.
Very comfortable, and so far have been indestructable.
Wear them pretty much daily.
No, they not the gourmet coffee shop mtn. boot all the cool kids wear
but they work nonetheless.

I tried Lowas in a Wide. Couldnt get my foot halfway in.
Same with Solamons , Obos, Crispis and some others.

Ended up in Keen Targhee 3's.
Very comfortable, and so far have been indestructable.
Wear them pretty much daily.
No, they not the gourmet coffee shop mtn. boot all the cool kids wear
but they work nonetheless.
I have been using the keen targhees too this season. Definitely a wider boot at the toe box. Found them to be lighter weight than several of the high end boots too. These seem to be a little flatter side which I prefer, especially for going downhill

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Crispi boots are built on several different lasts; I'd give Crispi US a call and see if there is a last that would be more accommodating

The limiting factor on almost every boot I try is the lack of room in the toe box. I had a LaSportiva boot that was perfect, but sadly discontinued the very next year :(

I tried the Crispi Thor II based on input here and they are working great (including a roomy toe box). It's possible a different boot in Crispi's lineup might work for you.

TBHasler

WKR
Crispi boots are built on several different lasts; I'd give Crispi US a call and see if there is a last that would be more accommodating

The limiting factor on almost every boot I try is the lack of room in the toe box. I had a LaSportiva boot that was perfect, but sadly discontinued the very next year :(

I tried the Crispi Thor II based on input here and they are working great (including a roomy toe box). It's possible a different boot in Crispi's lineup might work for you.
This here, if you want to stay with Crispi, the Thor line was perfect for me - normal/narrower heel and wider toe box in standard width. They make wide width in most every model as well

CCooper

WKR

I will third this. Tried the Thor II's this archery season. I have always worn a wide in all brands including Crispi's. The toebox in Thor's is almost too big in a wide for me- very generous.

Honestly the Danner boots that come in 2E or even 4E boots are really comfortable in the toe box and heels. They don’t last as long as the Italian or German stuff so it’s a trade off.

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same issue so I have been using Meindls for the last 8 years or so.

OP
ahhyut

ahhyut

FNG
Honestly the Danner boots that come in 2E or even 4E boots are really comfortable in the toe box and heels. They don’t last as long as the Italian or German stuff so it’s a trade off.

No Danners for me. Prior experience was poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ahhyut

ahhyut

FNG
I had the same problem for years. Lowa wide solved it. Now I wonder why I waited so long.
The ball of my foot doesn't fit into the "wide" category, it's the crispis cut dramatically from the toe area to the end of the boot. A wide would be too wide in the ball of the foot or too short in the toe.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
The Crispi Nevada, Kenai, Wyoming and Idaho all have the most room of the Crispi line up. I had trouble with my toes in a Crispi dakota wide, but I have no issues with the Nevada/Kenai in regular width. I usually wear a 10 in my keen Targhee but the 10.5 in my Crispi Kenai is perfect.

Agree with some others, the Thor is probably my all time favorite boot. As long as they make them I’ll have a pair.

The Zamberlan Sierra 700 GTX is worth looking into if it’s replacing an early season boot like the crossover. Feels similar to a Crispi Summit or Colorado with a wider toe box. I wear a 9.5 in just about everything, but had to go down to a 9 in this boot.

If you had issues with Crispi’s toe box, you probably won’t be a huge fan of the Hanwag Makra Trek or Combi either.

Last edited:

DanimalW

WKR
Bringing this thread back to life because I can’t believe there still aren’t better boot options with the success of companies like Altra and Topo. I even emailed Crispi asking if they could make a boot on a last in similar shape to a lone peak. It’s the most popular hiking shoe for a reason. Their response was that they’re already the roomiest toe box in their class. My other issue with Crispis are that the tops of my toes rub on the top of the boot even with the paper thin insoles. It’s frustrating for me because they make several boots that would be perfect for me with a little more toe box volume. The Lapponia was probably the best fit for me.

I actually alternated in some Topo athletic Trailventure WP trail hiking boots on my September elk hunt last year, and it was the best feeling putting those on each day. Only downside for me was some holes that popped through the mesh on top of the toe.

Old thread update I guess. I still use the Thors. Ive been through a few pairs since my last post in this thread, but they are still clearly my boot. Ive also used the Lapponia IIs and Summit IIs, and I like both of them, just not as much as the Thor.

I guess it just goes to show you personal preference in footwear, but I cant name a shoe I like less than the Lone Peak. I bought them because I saw so many people wearing them on trail. I wore them once and havent touched them since. Feels like full on clown shoes.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Usually it's the toe box that kills a boot (or shoe) for me- my feet aren't wide, but need a good toe box- the Thor has worked for me in that regard. The midfoot and heel fit precisely, but still have wiggle room for my toes.

I wore a few different Altra's in years past- foot box was nice, but the 0 drop was not for me. LaSportiva Akasha's are what's working for me in a trail runner— I'm thinking at least a dozen pairs (usually use up 2-3 pairs/year).

Crispi Summit in wide should work. Colorado is very similar in appearance and fit but stiffer if I remember correctly