I lost my dog today.....

Wrench

WKR
Took my pup and my 14 year old Drahthaar for a hike above lake PO in north Id and my old dog vanished. She's deaf and not in fantastic shape but was doing well. She took off to see my wife and I never saw her again.

We had a few friends in the area who gave us a hand hiking through the area again....but no dice. At this point I'm not sure if she just cashed in her chips and we walked past her or she caught wind of something and went into Drahthaar mode.....or we were on a scary steep face that ended in the kind of fall that would be the end of the story.

At this point I'm hoping someone spots her and calls me....but my sense of reality is telling me that my dog has to go out in the last way I'd wish for her.

This sucks.

Vandy321

WKR
Im sorry to hear this. Are you camping out there tonight? Even deaf, a smart dog with the nose of a draht could hopefully find its way back to where the truck was parked. Don't give up on him/her yet.

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
We had to come home I had 4 kids with us. Im trying to screenshot from onx.....but of course it is being a prick and will only give me a pixelated view.

It's not good country for an old dog to lose elevation. I think she could make it to the lake.....but that's not necessarily going to help her if she does make it.

Kindo

WKR
Keep your head up. Sounds like she was doing what she loved, and as her hunting partner, you couldn’t ask for more than that.

I hope she turns up for you as I’m sure she’s part of the family.

did you leave an article of clothing or anything back around where she disappeared?

Mosby

WKR
Sounds like you are doing everything you can to get her back. I hope you do for everyones sake. You might consider going back and putting a blanket something on the ground that she can smell and come back to. I might consider camping a night or two and put a note at the trailhead if possible with contact information, in case someone finds her.

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
I left some clothes, but my fear is she can't make the climb if she fell. It was raining and SLICK to make the climb out. My pup was struggling when we dove back in to look for her one last time.

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
Screenshot_20210523-205349_Earthmate.jpg

Here's where we saw her last. We bailed down towards the lake and.....she vanished.

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
Keep your head up. Sounds like she was doing what she loved, and as her hunting partner, you couldn’t ask for more than that.

I hope she turns up for you as I’m sure she’s part of the family.

did you leave an article of clothing or anything back around where she disappeared?

I thought I had to bury her 2 months ago and then she snapped out of it. She loves to go, but being deaf now and old isn't the best for straying from the family.

Doghed

WKR
My thoughts are with you and her. The same thing happened to me and it was the worst most helpless feeling. I eventually found my old deaf heeler. Fingers crossed that you have a happy ending as well.
Good luck man.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
You will find her. Good dogs have a way about them. My prayers are with you.

We are in the exact place with our poor old GSP. I lost her for a few hours going into dark last year. Scared the hell out of me. She ended up being back at the truck the second time i went back to look for her (after hiking all of hells creation in a panic).
The full story is crazy as hell, but bottom line is I found her and I hope the best for you and yours as well.