I love how horns can be tricky

I've been on a few antelope hunts with others but only ever had one buck tag. I wouldn't get too caught up on score. When you see a good buck you will know that he's a good buck.

I spotted my buck on opening morning at more than a mile away. Instantly I could tell he was a lot better than 5 or 6 other bucks that were within 500 yards.

Don't get too caught up in the score. Have a fun, memorable trip. DSC06110.JPGDSC06110.JPG

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
Similar to all horn species MASS is what is important for high B&C scores. As mentioned earlier it is important to get views from several different angles. A spotting scope is pretty much a "must have" because inches play such an important factor in the score.

It often helps to get your hands on several top scoring horns that are produced in the area you will be hunting. Pronghorn in different zones in NM may generally produce a little different horn confirmation than Wyo. Some of the better areas within Wyo may produce different horns than others....and from 1 season to the next! As an example, top scoring bucks from Wyo may have shorter horns than NM but often produce bucks with great mass. Most of the top bucks I've harvested over the years in Wyo have at least 7" bases and hold that mass all the way to the tips. It's super tough to make up for mass with longer horns and prongs....not impossible but very tough. Thinner horned bucks in Wyo generally don't make B&C because Wyo bucks seldom have super long horns.

Sometimes prong length can be hidden a little by super massive horns. Also, just because a buck has prongs way up on a horn doesn't mean it will score better than a buck with prongs coming off low. There are so many different horn confirmations present on antelope that field judging accurately is definitely a challenge.

There are so many different field judging tricks that can be learned but some of it is by trial and error. It helps having a tape and measuring lots of horn length, mass, prongs, etc. from the areas you intend on hunting. Also looking at a lot of video and photos of bucks in the field with measurements on the ground. Some guys use nose, ear, and eye measurements to figure out mass and horn length but I just haven't had success with that strategy. Similar to humans....antelope come in a lot of different sizes and shapes. Some may have short noses, small eyes, small bodies, etc.

Antelope sure are a kick to watch and hunt! Good luck to those that drew 2021 tags!

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Similar to all horn species MASS is what is important for high B&C scores. As mentioned earlier it is important to get views from several different angles. A spotting scope is pretty much a "must have" because inches play such an important factor in the score.

It often helps to get your hands on several top scoring horns that are produced in the area you will be hunting. Pronghorn in different zones in NM may generally produce a little different horn confirmation than Wyo. Some of the better areas within Wyo may produce different horns than others....and from 1 season to the next! As an example, top scoring bucks from Wyo may have shorter horns than NM but often produce bucks with great mass. Most of the top bucks I've harvested over the years in Wyo have at least 7" bases and hold that mass all the way to the tips. It's super tough to make up for mass with longer horns and prongs....not impossible but very tough. Thinner horned bucks in Wyo generally don't make B&C because Wyo bucks seldom have super long horns.

Sometimes prong length can be hidden a little by super massive horns. Also, just because a buck has prongs way up on a horn doesn't mean it will score better than a buck with prongs coming off low. There are so many different horn confirmations present on antelope that field judging accurately is definitely a challenge.

There are so many different field judging tricks that can be learned but some of it is by trial and error. It helps having a tape and measuring lots of horn length, mass, prongs, etc. from the areas you intend on hunting. Also looking at a lot of video and photos of bucks in the field with measurements on the ground. Some guys use nose, ear, and eye measurements to figure out mass and horn length but I just haven't had success with that strategy. Similar to humans....antelope come in a lot of different sizes and shapes. Some may have short noses, small eyes, small bodies, etc.

Antelope sure are a kick to watch and hunt! Good luck to those that drew 2021 tags!
Excellent breakdown of the topic! I’d take a buck with mass over a tall buck any day..not just for a potentially better score, but just the way they look. Something about a massive buck that just gets my heart thumping

parshal

WKR
I spent 19 points on a CO RFW tag south of Kim on the NM border. I'm bringing along a friend who grew up in Wyoming to help me judge. I don't expect a trophy in CO but I'd like to not shoot a dink.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Season starts in less than a week. I think I have two really great bucks located and relocated a few times. I am leaning towards hanging my hat on one of the below bucks until he is dead and ignoring any other plan.

PXL_20210829_000148796.jpgPXL_20210926_002912716.jpgPXL_20210925_235111229.jpgPXL_20210925_235158755.jpgPXL_20210925_235151371.jpgPXL_20210925_220227133.jpgPXL_20210926_002750401.jpg

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I found another really good buck the day before the opener who made me question my target buck.

PXL_20211001_214832792.jpgPXL_20211001_215454849.jpgPXL_20211001_215500751.jpgPXL_20211001_214522392.jpg

My target buck is in the mirage post #44, and by the gridded fence with two upper barbed strands in post #48. I loved the heart shape as a euro mount and knew he would be light in upper mass and prongs. He also was good at hiding in plain sight, and besides a local outfitter whose adult daughter wanted him, I never saw or heard of anybody who was after him. A nearby property owner who handed out several dozen permission slips was telling folks about him, but she said a few people came back by double checking the location because they couldn't find him. He was on public about 3 miles from her property, on her daily drive. Opening morning I snuck in well before dark, set up my stool and tripod, and the fog concealed us from the road hunters, which was my biggest worry thinking someone would see me from the road and then take the time to glass him up. He popped up at 400yds, I think he thought my tripod and spotter was a phorn because he came in on a line while I crawled straight to the side of my sit spot to get a better angle and 100% safe background. Once he crossed 200yds I waited for a clear broadside and went back ribs to save the shoulder meat, 168ttsx from the 30-06 dropped him straight down.
PXL_20211002_125635012.jpgPXL_20211002_135220939.jpgPXL_20211002_131217198.jpg
PXL_20211002_145856016.jpg
PXL_20211002_151644386.jpg

The outfitter was excited for me and told me to measure him, I came up with 71" but got a midnight text from him saying he was up all night bothered by that number, and then rechecked my measurements seeing I missed one. I added in the upper circumference and came up with 77"ish.
PXL_20211003_113600620.jpg