I love how horns can be tricky

mcr-85

WKR
I just think they are about the coolest animals to watch and how they can ghost in and out of flat terrain. He looks bigger on the ground than in those photos, I hope he has a cool spot on the wall.

Did the broadhead pass through and the arrow get hung up on the fletching?
Yes when we got up to him the arrow was sticking out of him. When he fell over he broke the arrow at the fletching. He was slightly quartered to us a little when she shot. I have a pic of the heart with a neat little 4 blade hole through it.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
They can be so deceiving, Here's a buck that shows just how crucial mass is. 84 5/8 gross 83 4/8 final

Do you have the sheet and any head on pictures? He looks to have above average length with the amount of curling, and the chipped prong might have cost an inch.

I have really enjoyed the Pronghorn Guide Service website and playing around with score guessing there. I think it was there that I read ~60% of big scoring bucks comes from the four circumference measurements.

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have the sheet and any head on pictures? He looks to have above average length with the amount of curling, and the chipped prong might have cost an inch.

I have really enjoyed the Pronghorn Guide Service website and playing around with score guessing there. I think it was there that I read ~60% of big scoring bucks comes from the four circumference measurements.
I will see if my buddy has a copy of the score sheet. Going off of memory he was 14 6/8 long and his prong we figured cost him 6/8" to 1" but base and first quarter were both over 7 and
his top mass was unreal over 8" for 3rd and 4th

197614528_241606320717998_6180443125636129626_n.jpg120404782_646942842629662_1326053313272860907_n.jpg

Trees91

WKR
I don't have a good side pic of him. I was told he should be around 80 but I've never scored him....where's a good place to find scoring instructions?

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I don't have a good side pic of him. I was told he should be around 80 but I've never scored him....where's a good place to find scoring instructions?
You can play along and enter your guesses on any of the Buck photos, it adds them up for you and you can get a good idea of how something here and something there manipulates the score.

There is a stipulation on page two of the BC score sheet that might effect yours.
"D‑2‑3‑4. Divide measurement C of longer horn by four. Starting at base, mark both horns at these quarters (even though the other horn is shorter) and measure circumferences at these marks. If the prong interferes with D‑2, move the measurement down to just below the swelling of the prong. If D‑3 falls in the swelling of the prong, move the measurement up to just above the prong."

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Interesting. I'll have to pull him off the wall and put a tape on him sometime.

Thanks!
He very well could be in the mid 80s before deductions, some of that depends on if those horns just curl in like a heart, or curl in and back like a cruiser bicycle. I think you really need side, front, and 45deg angles (all pretty level) to make a good guess. Of course that only matters if you care about score, most who do just seem to care about being over a certain number.

Trees91

WKR
He very well could be in the mid 80s before deductions, some of that depends on if those horns just curl in like a heart, or curl in and back like a cruiser bicycle. I think you really need side, front, and 45deg angles (all pretty level) to make a good guess. Of course that only matters if you care about score, most who do just seem to care about being over a certain number.

I really don't care about score....he's been on my wall for 6 years and I've never known. Just curious is all.

voodoo

FNG
This is what is getting me into pronghorn. Just....the variation yet they sorta all are the same. Love these things

NoWiser

WKR
Man, I have no desire to learn to score pronghorn. I've got double-digit Wyoming points and when I decide to draw a tag, I'm going for the prettiest buck. Cape, horn shape, and horn size will all enter equally into the equation.