I Love Kodiak Island

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
This is my 4th trip to Kodiak. I’ve never seen another hunter in the field. It’s the 2nd largest island in the United States, there is a lot of room out there.

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The R8 is an amazing piece of equipment. I have shot 5 shot groups taking the entire rifle apart, including the scope as if I were packing it up for a trip, and putting it back together between shots and you cannot tell them from a normal 5 shot group.

the 300 Win barrel I took was certainly unnecessary for deer, but in 2 seconds I could switch out to a rifle full of 220g Nosler Partitions. That magazine spent a ton of time in that rifle and is fairly comforting. If one is not impressed and intimidated by the bears of Kodiak, they don’t pay very good attention...

Last edited:
I'm not sure if your pictures make my last couple of days in Colorado more or less bearable but I am stoked to see that island for myself. I leave tomorrow night for a week long boat hunt. Hopefully, we can find a couple of similar caliber bucks.

Thanks for sharing!

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Good luck man, you may get hooked. I’d rather go to Kodiak and hunt than anything else and that is from hunting 20 states and 6 provinces for 18 of the NA 29.

Very nice indeed Steve! I have to agree with your above statement, Kodiak is probably my favorite place to hunt as well, I just wish that the Dall sheep transplanting program that was done back in the 50’s, would have take off like the deer and goat transplants did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a fact, but I liked him so I shot him. Big frame, won't score well, but he was too nice to pass up at 35 yards after a fun stalk in the pouring rain/blowing wind.

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Nick you young resident guys always amaze me. I use to kill piles of deer like that at home but for me to bring it back so far from AK to MI, it is a LOT of work. I don’t even normally buy a second tag. What do you guys get 5 or 6 each as residents?

On Kodiak we get three each, same as a NR I guess. I only shot one buck on this trip, my buddies success was a higher priority than my own and they made out like bandits. It was a really good year for bucks down there, hoping winter is mild so we can have the same expectation next fall.

Meat transport back to Fairbanks is pretty easy, Alaska Air Cargo took it all from us and sent it up here for 77$ I believe. Just picked it up here in town and will begin processing this weekend!

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks, I think. It took this working man many years or horse trading, penny pinching, and DIY hunts rather than guided affairs to piece it all together. For instance, a friend built the carbon fiber stock that is on it. There is another wood stocked receiver along with 243, 264 Win, and 375 H&H barrels to take care of any situation I may want to hunt. It’s an engineering marvel and I’m an engineer so I appreciate it immensely.

Thanks, I think. It took this working man many years or horse trading, penny pinching, and DIY hunts rather than guided affairs to piece it all together. For instance, a friend built the carbon fiber stock that is on it. There is another wood stocked receiver along with 243, 264 Win, and 375 H&H barrels to take care of any situation I may want to hunt. It’s an engineering marvel and I’m an engineer so I appreciate it immensely.

I was looking at them last night online, they are damn nice! But, after 15 mins of reading and looking at them, I became overjoyed that I am not a gun nut! Cause if I was, I'd be buying one on pure impulse then deal with the financial ramifications later on :)