I Love Kodiak Island

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Someday I will hunt bears there. Someday I will hunt goats there. For now, I am incredibly thankful for the Sitka Blacktail deer I can hunt there as a working man DIY hunter. I’ve hunted them in early August, I’ve hunted them in early November. This year, my son is a freshman in college and playing football so I had to wait to see how long his season lasted and ended up hunting this week of Thanksgiving. I was able to share this trip with a good friend and on his first trip he got to see how wild and unforgiving Kodiak really is.

In the past I have hunted the north and middle of the Island. With all the talk of winterkill I thought it would be a good idea to explore the south end. We did the best we could to find some shelter for the Kifaru 8 man. I am glad we did. We weathered some incredible storms early in the week. We came out early to avoid even more storms. As I write this from the Kodiak Inn, they are calling for 75mph gusts.

Hopefully these pics will show up; ever since Photobucket hosed everyone I am at a bit of a loss to post pics. This one should be camp:

Last edited:
OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
And try # 4 is a flop. Fortunately I lave a long day in town with nothing to do and I am a persistent person ...

mparks270

Lil-Rokslider
Camp
bee66824138fff83a9566499bd0b3554.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
cda6a164a318da9291003756d9f93dd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess everything is more difficult with an iPhone! I tried all the information on posting from Google Photos and it just would not go. I’ve tried to avoid the TapAtalk as it seems a giant jumbled mess but it did get my pic loaded!

Last edited:
OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
My buddy Mick with his fine buck. I was feeling a lot of pressure that he had a good time and could get a nice buck and I think it is safe to say we are solid on all counts!
c75bd7bc0cc410f001fcf1017716bb39.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
BB, thanks. Compared to last year I’d say down 50% but for a guy who only has access to public land deer hunting in northern Michigan where our DNR has destroyed the herd, Kodiak is still flipping Nirvana to me.

BRWNBR

WKR
Lol I hear ya! I skinned for a taxidermy shop in Grand Rapids one fall and was amazed at the Deer folks were mounting....button bucks/does/forkie you name it. We usually average about 30 Deer sightings a day where I am on the island, had a couple years where conditions were great and we averaged closer to 80 per day. It’s a great place to hunt!!