I LOVE my SG pack systems but I need more pockets and $h1t

Hey fellas, I am struggling here. I have two SG bags. One is an 1800 approach and the other is a 40/56. I have a lid I use and what not.
I typically pack for the unexpected, so the 1800 is only enough room for scouting trips, and turkey hunts, or deer hunts where a spotter and tripod is not needed.
The 40/56 is cool for long 5 days back country trips but it’s a single black hole of a bag. And basically have to cram everything I need quick access to in the lid.
I have also ran the 1800 over the top of the 40/56 which is a bit over kill.

Basically I wanted to know if you guys have come up with a way to be more organized with the SG bags and what products have you used to do so.
Or I know some people have been able to retrofit other brands bags on the SG frames. If you go any links or picks please post em.
(I love the xcurve frame etc)

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried their Swing Out Pockets? Very light and convenient for staying organized, definitely my favorite SG accessory.

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
Have you tried their Swing Out Pockets? Very light and convenient for staying organized, definitely my favorite SG accessory.
Yeah I have one, maybe I need to try the larger one. But the problem is in the 1800 i run a water bladder so that takes up a lot of the internal space.

700MtnMan

FNG
I sometimes run their access bag on my 40 /56 which works well and adds a large exterior pocket for quick access. Also you could look at their hydro lid which would move your bladder out of the main bag. The hydro lid comes with two pockets one for bladder and the other for storing items. The internal divider can also be removed making it one large pocket. I also use pullouts / swing out pockets to organize items in the main bag.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Sure - pretty easy. Add some camp pockets. I use one for my possibles pouch, and another for water treatment/stove/etc.

I also have some pullouts from Kifaru I use sometimes.

kpk

WKR
I have a 5900. My quick access stuff is stored in the lid or belt pocket. For organization inside I'm using a couple homemade pullouts and/or some Sea to Summit dry bags - this is the stuff that doesn't come out all that often.

I'd think the access bag would be great for the junk you're taking out often. If you just want more space a load cell between pack and frame would work also.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
But the problem is in the 1800 i run a water bladder so that takes up a lot of the internal space.
I use my Approach bag over my R3 bag and keep my water bladder in the spotting scope pocket on the Approach. The only time I really need to get anything out of my pack is when I'm stopping for lunch or such, or have an animal down generally. In those cases I really don't have much else in either pack besides what I need for that. If I use the Approach by itself, I have the entire main bag for whatever I need in it with the bladder in the pocket.

Toss the bladder, get you a HDPE Nalgene and a holder from @pods8. Then add the internal pocket. The swing out is small, the next one is almost too big. I have the Approach myself and the Solo 3600 and thinking I might just sell the Approach since the Solo isn't that much heavier and you get that external pocket.

slick

WKR
I have the Sky 7400, most of the time it’s in bivy mode. Typically most stuff has its own little bag. Kill kit in one. Cook stove, titanium pot, spork, lighter in another. Food another. Insulation layer in a compressible dry bag. Usually floorless shelter bagless on the bottom. Extra base layers/socks plus quilt in another dry bag.

Rarely use the lid but if I do it’s water purification rain gear snacks and extra headlamp
waist belt pocket is headlamp extra ammo snack. Get a handful of the SG camp pockets or those ones from kifaru or Kuiu. Compressible dry bag is Sea to Summit

I embrace the one big black hole idea. Keep the outside of the pack clean and tidy, then organize internal contents by stuff sacks, pull outs, etc. Depending on the trip. Stack them in the pack with most frequently used closest to the zipper.

I have a mix of SG swing out pockets, kifaru pull outs in various materials and sizes, various random stuff sacks and roll top bags. Mostly run a sg solo. System stays pretty consistant but food and clothes change the most depending on trip length and weather.

Try to Define a system and stick to it. i e: kill kit is always in this bag and goes roughly here in my pack, rain jacket always goes stuffed against the bottom front, headlamp lives in my possibles pouch etc..

I stick to this and can always quickly get to my things. seams like I'm always waiting for a buddy "where the f did I put item xyz" as they dig through their pockets.

One or two internal bags work well keeping stuff out of the way you don't always need (kill kit, back up head lamp). I use clear plastic bags for stuff like water purification, first aid, food, tp, etc. Not really organized, but easy to find since you can see exactly what is in there.

sndmn11

WKR
I would do this, or a few of their large accessory pockets and just run the 1" webbing compression straps of the pack through the slots. It will be floppy if you don't snug them up but works fine. I do something similar with a nalgene holder on my pack to stick my tripod in.

what are you wanting “quick access” to?

adding in some pullouts (kifaru, sg, etc. doesnt matter) is good for breaking the “black hole” bag into a bag of bags.

if it’s small items, add a few belt pouches to the mix for on the go access/organization. shoulder strap pockets work similarly.

if it’s larger items, consider selling the two bags and getting a sky 5900. more built in organization without an extreme weight penalty.

mmw194287

WKR
The Access bag is a really nice addition--easy to keep organized and it also helps sandwich things against the pack (like a tripod, etc.).

OP
BoltActionBrotherhood
what are you wanting “quick access” to?

adding in some pullouts (kifaru, sg, etc. doesnt matter) is good for breaking the “black hole” bag into a bag of bags.

if it’s small items, add a few belt pouches to the mix for on the go access/organization. shoulder strap pockets work similarly.

if it’s larger items, consider selling the two bags and getting a sky 5900. more built in organization without an extreme weight penalty.
Yeah maybe i should just consider the access bag. But I wonder how well that does with the approach 1800 which mounts a bit different that the other bags worried it would cause slop.
As far as quick access goes, I hunt with my 3 year old a LOT so he is always needing things from out of my bad. Lunch, snacks, his binos, different calls etc.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For stuff that needs to be very handy I like their large belt pockets- they swallow a lot of gear for belt pockets, I've used other pockets on different packs and they are almost always too small- these aren't. One keeps a spare magazine/extra ammunition and my range finder; the other snacks, tp, paper map

For water I use a hydro holster and an appropriate sized soft Nalgene (dependent on the trip) on the inside of the pack

Inside I use a camp pocket, I find it handier than two swing out pockets- in it goes my first aid kit, fire kit, repair kit, toiletries, charger, kill kit, etc

Clothing (minus rain gear), sleeping bag go in various lightweight dry bags- I'll keep clothing that are likely to be worn near the top of the bag

I have an Access bag, but find it only goes when I need additional volume beyond my largest bag- ditto for the lid

I use Kifaru bags for my kill kit and such, but it took some getting used too. love it now